Are people underestimating the weight difference between 185lbs and 205lbs

Does Jan clinch and dirty box? Does he wrestle? Those things really help the bigger stronger man in mma.

If the answer is no on every one of those then Israel has a good chance.
He has the grappling/clinching advantage. Will he use it? If he's smart he will. Could open up Adesanya to getting finished from strikes in the later rounds.

seems like a baseless assertion to me that to be honest you quite often do . At any rate i think the size of the gloves will be the biggest difference in terms of punching power . Romero hit him once clean and he was extremely timid after so i guess theres something to what your saying.
It's not. Power punchers in muay thai and kickboxing is rare. You won't find many. That's why I said the ones that do stand out.

Glove size isn't much of an issue. Boxers have power punchers and they use big gloves also. It's just kickboxing/muay thai doesn't focus as much on punching compared to kicking. It's a kick focused art and their scoring scores higher for kicks compared to punches. That's why punches are usually used to just set up their kicks. They keep the punching combinations simple and always end with a kick. They are not focusing on punching power and setting up punching combinations looking for a KO with just punches. That's why the kickboxers/muay thai fighters with high level boxing and punching KO power usually have the advantage vs the more traditional style kickboxers/muay thai fighters. The boxing is usually the weakness in their style.

Last edited:
The bout reminds me of Daniel Cormier vs Anderson Silva at UFC 200. Jan is no Daniel Cormier.

It's not. Power punchers in muay thai and kickboxing is rare. You won't find many. That's why I said the ones that do stand out.
dont know enough about kickboxing and Muay thai to agree or disagree with you but to be honest it just seems out there to claim he dosnt have an idea how hard a LHW MMA fighter hits when he was successful at 215 Ib kickboxing but we all know he couldn't handle the left touch of death from Piera(to be fair pretty much no one can) so maybe your on to something

dont know enough about kickboxing and Muay thai to agree or disagree with you but to be honest it just seems out there to claim he dosnt have an idea how hard a LHW MMA fighter hits when he was successful at 215 Ib kickboxing but we all know he couldn't handle the left touch of death from Piera(to be fair pretty much no one can) so maybe your on to something
Piera has punching KO power. Lots in Glory and K1 do also. Those fighters stand out in those promotions because a lot of those fighters have cross trained pure boxing, or chose to focus on boxing more than the traditional styles. Plus Dutch style muay thai was more focused on boxing combinations as well as kicking combinations. But that isn't the norm in traditional kickboxing/muay thai disciplines. Just like any combat sport the fighters with punching KO power stands out, there's just less in kickboxing/muay thai because traditionally they don't focus on boxing as much.

“He beat Souza” who was 40 years old , 10 bjjblack belt world championship, 36 pro mma fights, and a bunch of surgeries.
Oh and lets not forget he completed all his life at MW.
yeah.. what an achievement for Jan’s legacy...

Jacare fought 205

Piera has punching KO power. Lots in Glory and K1 do also. Those fighters stand out in those promotions because a lot of those fighters have cross trained pure boxing, or chose to focus on boxing more than the traditional styles. Plus Dutch style muay thai was more focused on boxing combinations as well as kicking combinations.
Only part you said relevant to this discussion . so basically yes Izzy knows what a LHW's power feels like , thanks for clarifying my point .

It’s like Petr Yan moving up to challenge Khabib.

20lbs is the largest weight difference between two divisions with an official weight. I would even argue that a lot of HW’s are LHW’s with high BMI’s that don’t cut weight. I think most LHW’s couldn’t cut an extra 20lbs to make 185lbs if their life depended on it.

I’ll cut straight to the chase, I’m rooting for Adesanya, but I won’t be surprised if he gets knocked out by Jan. Let’s not forget what former WW Kelvin Gastelum did to his face:

izzy.0.jpg

Polish power is going to feel different:

Didn't
Jan was finished by lesser former MW Santos 2 years ago.

We've seen smaller fighters beat bigger fighters a million times.
Remeber Royce?
Sakuraba?
Couture?
Serra?
Silva?
BJ?
Cejudo?

Ironic that TS' sig is "Precision beats power, timing beats speed."
Tell me, TS, which one of the two has better precision and timing?
most of these guys won with grappling

Was combing through Adesanya's record, he fought Melvin Guillard? What the fuck?

Hiw big of a difference is it going tp to make that Jan has to cut while Izzy wont? Every extra bit of weight advantage he has will be because he drained himself while israel did not. Im excited to see because i really dont care for weight cutting that much.

And he used to fight under 170 lbs
He was all bones before the 'roids.Silva's physique against Stephan Bonnar had nothing to do with the one in his shooto years (And he towered the japs at 168).

Only part you said relevant to this discussion . so basically yes Izzy knows what a LHW's power feels like , thanks for clarifying my point .
Yeah and he got KO by him. So that proves my point. But you are referring to his low level competition kickboxing match-ups and not his Glory fights. So that also proves my point.

Yeah and he got KO by him. So that proves my point. But you are referring to his low level competition kickboxing match-ups and not his Glory fights. So that also proves my point.
He got KO'd by Piera the only time thats ever happened (which i said in my previous post in which I extended some agreement ) and Alex Piera is a middleweight so i dont know what your trying to say in terms of him dealing with the power of a LHW (unless your saying thats the only power puncher hes faced in kickboxing which i doubt, let alone MMA). Anyways this is getting convoluted
P.S. im rooting for Jan

Last edited:
but still I believe that the difference can be seemed very clearly
The weight difference is less important at higher weights. That's why there's such a big gap between LHW and HW.

Like the person above me mentionned, a move from 155 to 170 is probably more significant than a move from 185 to 205.

170 to 185 seems to be a big gap.

see alot of 185ers going up to 205 and having success.

see alot of 155ers going to 170 and having success

205ers are 230 lbs walk around weight, not much smaller than stipe, dc. who are very successful.

a few have been successful going from 170 to 185. gastelum, whitaker and till come to mind,
gsp looked overly muscled, bobby knuckles isn't a giant either, but 170 would be tough to make.

kelvin should ideally fight at 170 and looks small compared to top middleweights,

till on the other hand had about as much business as rumble fighting at 170.

they made weight, but it affected their performance on fight night.

we have all seen the pictures of khabib, conor, dustin compared to gsp,

masvidal, colby and some other welterweights. all pretty close in size.

most middleweights dwarf them, most of them barring kelvin look a whole size bigger.

costa, izzy, romero, rockhold, weidman are just a size bigger than those at 170,

usman may be the exception to that. he is about as big as you can be for 170.

but he would look small to average at middleweight.

seems only a few in every weight class are exceptionally big for their respective class.
but all stay pretty competitive despite frame size.

pretty much proves its not the size of the dog in the fight.

The speed difference will be huge. Jan is a plodding fighter and telegraphs half of his strikes. I think Izzy takes it.

Back