Are people in denial about the welterweight division?!

GSP would still be the champ.

I dunno about all of his fights but I think with all of that extra testing he did vs Hendricks that it is VERRRRRY likely he was clean for that fight. Fight was basically a draw and Hendricks denied testing.

Clean GSP still beats all the clean 170lb fighters. If some of the better fighters juice and GSP shows up clean though he will probably lose.

170lbs isnt what it used to be though. Not even close, it went from super deep to kinda exposed over the last year. Losing Fitch, Shields,Hendricks falling apart with USADA&fatness, no GSP, Palhares, Lombard out for over a year and will come back weaker due to no longer being able to cheat and denying a likely clean fighter in Askren.

No one gives a shit about "MAYBE", if GSP decides to come out of retirement, Firas Zahabi is gonna give him tape of 5th Round Lawler. Then Firas is gonna say, the current champ also beat Big Rig, and then GSP is gonna have Nam style PSD about the beatdown Big Rig gave him and think that he'd rather chill in the Canadian Snow instead of playing with the big boys.

Big Rig retired GSP, he may not have won, but GSP was so fucked up he thought he was American, askin about Obama Care and if "getting fucked up by Big Rig" was a good reason for a visit.

Most of those fighters were In the division while gsp was still active. Yes the division is still stacked but not anymore stacked than it was some guys declined some got better if u made a list of gsps contenders and put 'prime' in front of their name he was king of an equally dangerous division and was so far ahead that his skill would still carry him today if he chose.
No one ever stops to think maybe the Hendricks fight was close because gsp knew he didn't want to fight anymore before hand and wasn't extremely motivated or hungry whatsoever.
He beat the hell out of the same shields that tapped the lawler we all see today imo. And the same Condit that imo should be champ. Are u saying Condit is now better than gsp? Because no. Wasn't a close fight and Condit could easily be ranked #1 rite now
I think I understand what you're trying to say. Prime GSP would still reign king imo. Condit should be champ and GSP said out of all his opponents he wouldn't want to fight Condit again.

GSP was starting to get hit a lot more and slow down considerably. Definitely would get wrecked against current WW fighters like Lombard or Woodley and those two aren't even #1 contenders. Completely different landscape from when GSP was champ and Fitch was the other best guy at WW lol
Woodley is so overrated.

Prime GSP would shit on this current division.

He aged a lot in his last few fights though, and looked a lot less motivated. He was on top for a LONG time, thats gotta make you a little weary.

I think he would destroy the Hendricks who showed up last night though. He looked awful. He was totally stationary.

Wonderboy did in 1 round what GSP failed to do in 5. GSP gets mauled by Stephen Thompson. GSP knows it and is scared and that's why he's not coming back.

The Hendricks that fought GSP is not the same Hendricks that fought last night. I don't know if it is because of USADA, but Hendricks is a different guy now.

The Hendricks that fought GSP is not the same Hendricks that fought last night. I don't know if it is because of USADA, but Hendricks is a different guy now.

Or he looks different because Wonderboy is just that good. A 4/10 put a bag over its head will look like a 1/10 kill it with fire when standing next to a 9/10 elbow too pointy, still wood. Wonderboy made him look amateurish.

Lol What I'm getting at is the division isn't any more stacked than in the gsp or even Hughes era much less so imo
Well I'd say its more stacked than the Huges era when LWs could crack the top 5 but yeah I don't think its gotten far better in just the 2 and a half years GSP has been gone.

The question is is GSP still the same fighter he was when he was at the top? IMO he already lost a step after the Shields fight and his peak was in 2009-2011 but he still managed to deny the young guns who came after him. Could he continue to do so? If anyone can its him.

Its funny to me how so many people are claiming GSP would have nothing for wonderboy, when half of you probably weren't even sure who he was until last night

1- Hendricks won that fight

2- GSP doesn't run anyone over. He just lays on them for 5 rounds

What fight does GSP lay on someone for 5 rounds? The hardy fight? Is that deep Kimura getting "layed on" to you?

Since the new IV ban the future performance of many wrestling dominant fighters are questionable. I'm not saying GSP would perform worse, merely that there is the potential for him to.

A lot of big wrestlers are looking like very different [And much smaller] fighters since the ban. Hendricks, Weidman etc. It would be a bit of a lottery.

What fight does GSP lay on someone for 5 rounds? The hardy fight? Is that deep Kimura getting "layed on" to you?
Condit, Diaz, Penn just to name a few. Maybe he didn't exactly lay on them for 5 rounds, I should've used better words. But GSP is clearly a point fighters, and terribly boring and I hope he never comes back

GSP's wrestling has became a lot less effective ever since knee surgeries. He still managed to implement his game plan vs guys with poor TDD in Diaz and Carlos, but once he faced hendricks it became pretty obvious that he is not the same fighter. I have a feeling it was only a matter of time until he would've lost.

Back