Are people in denial about the welterweight division?!

SlickNickG

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I mean really people. Yes the division is more exciting now and more unpredictable but people acting like gsp wouldn't run over the division 28th ease are delusional and I'm not even a fan. Condit could easily be champ right now and he had nothing for ol rush except one kick. And don't even start to bring up the one bad fight he had against Hendricks, how do we know he didn't just have an off nite.

I mean really people. Yes the division is more exciting now and more unpredictable but people acting like gsp wouldn't run over the division 28th ease are delusional and I'm not even a fan. Condit could easily be champ right now and he had nothing for ol rush except one kick. And don't even start to bring up the one bad fight he had against Hendricks, how do we know he didn't just have an off nite.

this thread needs more GOAT!

maxresdefault.jpg

No denial necessary. No One knows if he is ever coming back.

IF he does, then we can begin the "GSP runs over ______" threads.

I deny many things, like taxes, my sexuality, and the benefits of vegetables, but i certainly do not deny GSP is sexy. Does that answer your question TC?

Lol What I'm getting at is the division isn't any more stacked than in the gsp or even Hughes era much less so imo

GSP was starting to get hit a lot more and slow down considerably. Definitely would get wrecked against current WW fighters like Lombard or Woodley and those two aren't even #1 contenders. Completely different landscape from when GSP was champ and Fitch was the other best guy at WW lol

I've got a feeling that even if Maia cleaned out the division, they still wont give him his title shot.

The guy more or less lost to Hendricks. Not sure where you are coming from with this.

Don't waste your keystrokes. GSP is the undeniable WW GOAT, and arguably P4P GOAT. His haters claim that the division is so much stronger now because that's all they can say, empty speculation. The actual facts still speak for themselves.

Back when Fitch was the #1 WW besides GSP? Yr trippin

Exactly. The welterweight division was recognized as very strong back then, but nowadays it's even more so.
Back in the days of GSP as WW title holder, Fitch, Thiago Alves, Koscheck, Nick Diaz, an undersized BJ Penn and Shield were among the best in the division and I'm not saying these guys are bad, the division was good with them too

But today, with this guy Thompson just destroyed the guy who gave one of the hardest fights in GSP's career.

I mean, Gunnar Nelson for example, someone who is ranked out of the top 10 (I think), would represent a very difficult fight for Georges, stylistically. GSP can't pull a Maia and simply beat Nelson at BJJ and standing it could be a very even fight.

Back when Jon Fitch was the #1 WW besides GSP? Yr trippin
So your saying Fitch was a clear number two well where does Condit fit in there because he just arguably beat the number 1 guy in the world today... you're just validating my point.

Lol What I'm getting at is the division isn't any more stacked than in the gsp or even Hughes era much less so imo

Wonderboy did in 1 round what GSP failed to do in 5. GSP gets mauled by Stephen Thompson. GSP knows it and is scared and that's why he's not coming back.

7b8533b5-bbbb-4a48-adb8-82783b56d3d1_ufc167.jpg

He made Hendrix striking look pro

GSP never fought Lawler, Woodley, Thompson, Maia... I think he'll come back soon with USADA doing the testing he wanted.

GSP leaving is why the division got excited again. Champions as dominant as GSP was always bog down a division. Same with Anderson.

Prime gsp? Yes he would be the champ

But he is what 2 years older + anthor acl surgery.He should stay retired except for him vs silva

GSP was starting to get hit a lot more and slow down considerably. Definitely would get wrecked against current WW fighters like Lombard or Woodley and those two aren't even #1 contenders. Completely different landscape from when GSP was champ and Fitch was the other best guy at WW lol

Lombard was a cheater, and Woodley was exposed in the Rory fight, Rory is a poor man's GSP

Back