Are people in denial about the welterweight division?!

GSP was starting to get hit a lot more and slow down considerably. Definitely would get wrecked against current WW fighters like Lombard or Woodley and those two aren't even #1 contenders. Completely different landscape from when GSP was champ and Fitch was the other best guy at WW lol

Woodley? You're fucking kidding me....

Lots of people love living in the past it seems. Makes them feel younger

7b8533b5-bbbb-4a48-adb8-82783b56d3d1_ufc167.jpg

He made Hendrix striking look pro
I thought GSP won but every time I see this side by side picture I say to myself how the %$#& does the winner look like that and the loser look like that.

GSP is, undeniably, the WW GOAT but everything comes to an end and his was coming one way or another. Let it go.

GSP got hit more in his last 3 fights than in his other 24 fights combined. He would get wrecked by Hendricks, Rory, Thompson, Woodley, and Lawler. Those fighters have incredible TDD and can KO him at any moment.

1- Hendricks won that fight

2- GSP doesn't run anyone over. He just lays on them for 5 rounds

I agree, GSP always has a chance to outpoint someone.

Keep his spirit alive Shertards because GSP knows better than to try his hand with this group of beasts in the division.

The only thing he will be finishing are martinis.

And what people shouldn't be in denial about is that UFC welterweight is the best division in the sport.

Lawler
Diaz
Maia
Woodley
McDonald
Condit
Hendricks
Lombard
Tumerov
Cote
Cerrone
Brown
Wonderboy
Larkin
Saunders
DHK
Ellenberger
Gunnar
Alves (155?)
Do you see that list? That's an example of "murder's row." Anyone can beat anyone on any given day on that list. Yes GSP could have probably beat all them all but the division wasn't this stacked when he was king. That's just off the top of my head
There's two former MW title contenders on that list

Not to mention
Fitch, Shields, Askren, Palhares, Daley and Okami aren't even in the UFC and are all legitimate fighters still (even if some aren't fan friendly). Shit, I think Palhares could be champ if he was in the UFC.

I'm not even going to respond to the Hughes's comment.

It's said over and over again, but it's very true: styles make fights.
Just because Thomson was able to destroy JH in one round, that doesn't mean he could do that to other top fighters.
JH looked terrible. He looked like he didn't know what to do in there and that's why he was so hesitant and got beat up. He had no plan but to throw bombs and wrassle.
That would have never happened to GSP, he would have been prepared.
Robbie is the champ now. He had close fights with JH, Rory, and Condit just arguably beat him.
GSP has NOTHING to fear.

I mean really people. Yes the division is more exciting now and more unpredictable but people acting like gsp wouldn't run over the division 28th ease are delusional and I'm not even a fan. Condit could easily be champ right now and he had nothing for ol rush except one kick. And don't even start to bring up the one bad fight he had against Hendricks, how do we know he didn't just have an off nite.

i think the answer is already in your post.
The division SEEMS to be more exciting because the dominant champion is gone.

But an healty GSP is still ahead to all the 'new' (LOL) breed.
MMA isn't evolved anymore since Don Frye inctroduced cross training in the USA and right now GSP is still the best.
MMA is constantly evolving is another myth created by noobs.

"This retired fighter would get wrecked by these guys currently fighting if he fought them now"

Some people...

Also, dominant champions make divisions look weaker than if the title bounced around constantly.

Lombard beating GSP is probably the most stupid thing that i even read here.

So your saying Fitch was a clear number two well where does Condit fit in there because he just arguably beat the number 1 guy in the world today... you're just validating my point.

Fitch, Koscheck, Hardy, Kampmann, Alves, Swick, Paulo Thiago... Those were top 10 WWs when GSP was champ.

Lawler
Diaz
Maia
Woodley
McDonald
Condit
Hendricks
Lombard
Tumerov
Cote
Cerrone
Brown
Wonderboy
Larkin
Saunders
DHK
Ellenberger
Gunnar
Alves (155?)
Do you see that list? That's an example of "murder's row." Anyone can beat anyone on any given day on that list. Yes GSP could have probably beat all them all but the division wasn't this stacked when he was king. That's just off the top of my head
There's two former MW title contenders on that list

Not to mention
Fitch, Shields, Askren, Palhares, Daley and Okami aren't even in the UFC and are all legitimate fighters still (even if some aren't fan friendly)
Most of those fighters were In the division while gsp was still active. Yes the division is still stacked but not anymore stacked than it was some guys declined some got better if u made a list of gsps contenders and put 'prime' in front of their name he was king of an equally dangerous division and was so far ahead that his skill would still carry him today if he chose.
No one ever stops to think maybe the Hendricks fight was close because gsp knew he didn't want to fight anymore before hand and wasn't extremely motivated or hungry whatsoever.
He beat the hell out of the same shields that tapped the lawler we all see today imo. And the same Condit that imo should be champ. Are u saying Condit is now better than gsp? Because no. Wasn't a close fight and Condit could easily be ranked #1 rite now

Keep his spirit alive Shertards because GSP knows better than to try his hand with this group of beasts in the division.

The only thing he will be finishing are martinis.

Time beat GSP, it beats us all.

He was obviously declining in his last few years fighting, but the best GSP beats everyone currently in the division and makes it look easy.

Back