• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are our favorite fighters mostly determined by where we're from?

Nope, not even close for me, and for many other MMA fans.

I'm a white guy from Southern California and my favorite fighters in approximate order are:

Fedor Emelianenko
GSP
Anderson Silva
Conor McGregor
Chael Sonnen
Jose Aldo
Crocop

There are more I could name, but you get the idea.

Nope...I'm from NY and lived in Hawaii for 22 years and no particular love for Weidman or Penn, or Max but I do like all 3 although BJ went to crazyville...I actually lived on the same street as BJ and saw him hanging on his side porch w his homies as a teenager quite often. Knew his Mom too. Should mention that I watch MMA in bars and if BJ ever fought on the card it was FUN.

Very cool. Was a BJ a good when he was young or kind of crazy even back then?

Wondering how much patriotism plays into which fighters the fans show their loyalty to. Do most fans favor fighters from their region/country/state? Post your favorite fighter and your hometown or current home.

(Cleveland, OH)
Favorite fighters ever:
Rory MacDonald
Chris Weidman
Rich Franklin
Conor McGregor
Beneil Dariush
I'm born in the U.S. and I couldn't care about what country the fighters are from. I loved Prime Aldo, Early Jon Jones, Motivated BJ and Mighty Mouse.

I live in Northern California, near Sacramento.

My favorite female fighter is Weili Zhang (China). I'm not Asian, btw.
After her, Rose Namajunas (Colorado, USA)

The only fighter that I'm a big fan of that trains near where I live is Aspen Ladd. But she isn't my #1 favorite fighter.

Nationalism plays no role whatsoever in my choice of favorite fighters, male or female.

Only morons from states like texas and alabama give a fuck about that kind of stuff.

Nationality of fighter is irrelevant to me.

I generally root for fellow countrymen, although I couldn't root for Elias Theodorou. Only fighters I really dislike are the ones who act like high school kids to try to get attention.

Elias is ahead of his time. The UFC just wasn't ready for him yet.

I only share both ethnic & racial identity with Jon Jones & DJ out of my top tier of favorite fighters.

I think I’m less inclined to root for Americans actually. Probably because there are so many of us in the UFC

Wondering how much patriotism plays into which fighters the fans show their loyalty to. Do most fans favor fighters from their region/country/state? Post your favorite fighter and your hometown or current home.

(Cleveland, OH)
Favorite fighters ever:
Rory MacDonald
Chris Weidman
Rich Franklin
Conor McGregor
Beneil Dariush
I’m from Canada favorite fighters are
Israel
Costa
Tony
Cejudo
DC
Masvidal
Khabib
Max

So no I guess.

Good question and I would say as of late I really want Aussie fighters to do well because after following the sort for 20 plus years I never thought we would have a high level fighter, especially a Champ. Now we have had 2 and that really helps boost the popularity of the sport in countries like Oz, NZ or even what Conor did for Ireland.

Khabib has done it too for Russia and the Muslim community as a whole. Growing up it gets boring having Brazil or USA Champs all the time. But as far as favourite fighters I got so many from all over the world. Whittaker and Volk I will follow not just because I can relate to their upbringing being a stones throw away, but I really enjoy their styles and humility this sport as lost with the new WWE era. Someone like George S was a dickhead on the TUF series it was the first time in my life I went for England (Ross) over an Aussie. And I was jumping for joy when he got beat because he was a bad reflection on us as a Country and Martial Arts.

My favorite fighters:

Arlovski (Belarus)
Machida (Brazil)
Henderson (US)

What does that tell you?

There's some correlation with visible minorities being fans of fighters from the same or similar minority.

Maybe so but im sure theres also correlation with visible majorities being fans from the same or similar majorities. That said, been too more a than a couple boxing clubs since Fury/Wilder and alot of young black boxers in training were bigger fans of Fury.

Dont really care where fighter is from i just like fighting styles with a lot output like diaz bros tony and max

Not here.

From America and favs are:

DC
Shogun
Reem
Fedor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back