• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are our favorite fighters mostly determined by where we're from?

Nah..

GSP is my favorite fighter, and I'm sure a lot of people's on here, but I'm not from Canada

White people generally like white fighters better
Black people generally like black fighters better
Asian people generally like Asian fighters better
Hispanic people generally like Hispanic fighters better

And nothing wrong with that either.

I back the Kiwi fighters above all others sure, but my two favourites to watch before Izzy came along were Bones and Conor.

I’m Korean-American and i am a fan of fighters from all over the world. The only Korean in my top 5 would be KZ. Generally speaking I do tend to root for Koreans as I would like to see them have success in MMA and have it become more popular there.

Wondering how much patriotism plays into which fighters the fans show their loyalty to. Do most fans favor fighters from their region/country/state? Post your favorite fighter and your hometown or current home.

(Cleveland, OH)
Favorite fighters ever:
Rory MacDonald
Chris Weidman
Rich Franklin
Conor McGregor
Beneil Dariush

I'm from Cleveland as well, so it's a good head to head comparison. I share your aredent fanship of Beneil Dariush, but none of the others are favorites of mine.

I like a lot of fighters, but here are some guys I like a ton:
Machida
Whittaker
Geoff Neal
Faber
Sakuraba
Igor V

White people generally like white fighters better
Black people generally like black fighters better
Asian people generally like Asian fighters better
Hispanic people generally like Hispanic fighters better

And nothing wrong with that either.
No offense, but if one really cares about skin color, that person is probably a bit racist...

No and patriotism is really dumb

no one had any say in where they were born

My favourites are all the current champions, subject to change though when title changes hands, then said fighter becomes my favourite.

giphy.gif

I generally root for fellow countrymen, although I couldn't root for Elias Theodorou. Only fighters I really dislike are the ones who act like high school kids to try to get attention.

Doesnt really apply for MMA, there are only like 2 countries that have a good number of fighters, then the rest with very few each, so people cant really cheer for their own as its like 1/3 or more of the UFC if they are from the US or Brazil, the "local" fan base thing is a league sport thing.

I don't really care about where fighters are from, my favourites are probably:
  • Georges St-Pierre
  • Israel Adesanya
  • Robert Whittaker
  • Daniel Cormier
  • Stephen Thompson
  • Rose Namajunas
  • Joanna Jedrzejczyk
  • Valentina Shevchenko
  • Gökhan Saki
  • Demetrious Johnson
..there's more fighters i really like, but i think those are the ones i care about/follow the most.

Last edited:
I only support dinky di true blue fucking ripper dipper fucking Aussie cunts.

I don't give a damn about nationality,I like fighters with bsse in their warrior spirit.

My favorite fighter is Khabib,he was born in a city at the end of the world.

Wondering how much patriotism plays into which fighters the fans show their loyalty to. Do most fans favor fighters from their region/country/state? Post your favorite fighter and your hometown or current home.

(Cleveland, OH)
Favorite fighters ever:
Rory MacDonald
Chris Weidman
Rich Franklin
Conor McGregor
Beneil Dariush
Nope...I'm from NY and lived in Hawaii for 22 years and no particular love for Weidman or Penn, or Max but I do like all 3 although BJ went to crazyville...I actually lived on the same street as BJ and saw him hanging on his side porch w his homies as a teenager quite often. Knew his Mom too. Should mention that I watch MMA in bars and if BJ ever fought on the card it was FUN.

Even more stupid is to root for a fighter because he has the same religion.
Having the same imaginary friend is cool I guess.

hey I would support any Pastafatrian fighter. All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I don't give a damn about nationality,I like fighters with bsse in their warrior spirit.

My favorite fighter is Khabib,he was born in a city at the end of the world.

Sabine is good looking but notice the respectful body language from Khabib, as opposed to Conor who would be all over her whether she was willing or not lol

20191222_190756.jpg

I'm Irish and I'll definitely root for Irish fighters if they're on a card, but my favourite fighters are Werdum and Robert Whittaker.

I'm from Florida and don't have any notable MMA fighters from my hometown, and I think my faves are mostly a scattershot

(2) Mainland Merica: T-Ferg and Chandler
(2) Hawaii: Max and Macfarlane
(1) Australia: Bobby K
(1) Nigeria: Marty
(1) Brazil: Lyoto (we are both hafu so I suppose there's that)
(1) Poland: Kuma

Will usually cheer for fighters from Japan or the Gulf Coast if there's no other reason between the fighters though

Back