• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are our favorite fighters mostly determined by where we're from?

Kwik Kick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Wondering how much patriotism plays into which fighters the fans show their loyalty to. Do most fans favor fighters from their region/country/state? Post your favorite fighter and your hometown or current home.

(Cleveland, OH)
Favorite fighters ever:
Rory MacDonald
Chris Weidman
Rich Franklin
Conor McGregor
Beneil Dariush

No way. Tons of shertards are Americans that are obsessed with Asians and Russians.

My favorite fighters are GOAT strikers ala Anderson, Aldo, and Lima

I think it is a small town/small country-phenomena. Coming from a small nation like Denmark, who never really had strong martial arts-traditions, I'll root for any Dane, because it is so damn rare I get to see one. If you are from the U.S. and you go bonkers every time you see a countryman in the cage, you'll probably end up with a heart-attack.

My all time favorite fighters are a mixed bag, none are from my home state, and some are not from my country (USA).

If you cheer for any team/player in any sport based on where you're from you're a tribalistic dumbass. "Oh look at me, I'm a huge fan of you. Oh you got traded to another team? Me hate you now!"

No, I cheer for fighters who have outstanding qualities in the manner in which they compete. The "it" factor.

Korean Zombie
Motivator Balayev
Motoya
Ilima-Lei

Nope. Fabrício Werdum is from my city and i'm not a big fan of him.

I'm from Canada and none of my favorite MMA fighters are Canadian. Well tbf I used to be a big David Loiseau fan.

Yes. I'm Mexican-American. Love Tony, Brian Ortega, Yair, and heck even Reyes. I cant help it. I understand their never say die attitudes.

I definitely first paid attention to Stipe Miocic because I am also a child of Croatian immigrants. But the more I learned about him, the more I liked him for his own merits. He certainly wouldn't be my favorite if he were an asshole, no matter what his birth.

Yes. I'm Mexican-American. Love Tony, Brian Ortega, Yair, and heck even Reyes. I cant help it. I understand their never say die attitudes.
Henry should be your idol, 'cause that guy's as special as any man on the planet!

1990's Favorites: Frye & Rutten
2000's Favorites: Iceman & Fedor
2010's Favorites: Gamebred & Cucuy
Born and raised in Miami

No not me.. GSP and JDS are 2 of my favorite fighters ever and I'm not Canadian or Brazilian. Sure some of my favorites are American like Black Beast and Tony.. but I like all types.

There's some correlation with visible minorities being fans of fighters from the same or similar minority.

Back