Are Lower weight classes less marketable?

Casual fans are inherently ignorant about MMA, it will always just be blood sport to them. They want to see heavy leather, smashed faces, blood etc, and lets face it, those types make up the majority of the UFC/MMA fan demographic.

It's sad that amazing fighters like MM, Barao, TJ, Aldo, Mendes, even the LW division, as stacked as that is, will never been top draws

dude...

You need few slaps, and wake up

Fighting sport is a blood sport, you are not watching tennis

HW is where its at

Low weight classes are like watching 2 mosquitoes buzzing and plinking at each other for 15 mins.

Now...
To save low weight clases we need to give them some weapons, not bladed of course, but stuff like sticks, tonfas, police bats, etc, even make it so like every fighter has its own preferred weapon and style

i find HWs kind of boring: plodding, slow, less explosive fighters who look less technical and gas with the quickness. watch roy nelson or big ben vs. hunt to see what i mean. or mir hugging cro cop for three rounds.

that's not universally true but i'm really not a fan of that division as much as i am everything else below it.

When anderson dominated MW, everybody was callig him out to go up in weight class, and why is that.
Why they didnt suggest lower weight class for him, being so skillful.
Uh, excuse me?

You clearly didn't think that through if you actually meant to present that as a legitimate argument, because dropping in weight makes no fucking sense when you're having success.

They didn't "suggest lower weight class for him" because not only were his striking skills already superior, but he would have had a massive size/strength advantage to go with it, so what the hell would that prove? That Anderson Silva can outstrike people who are smaller than him? Well no shit.

You are wrong because your whole premise is uninformed: people call for successful fighters to go up in weight, to prove that their SKILL is mostly responsible for their success. Not the other way around.

Couture dropped to LHW because he realized he didn't have the size/strength to hang with people he was otherwise better conditioned and more skilled than.

Depends on the fighters. That Mcgregor with his mouth will bring attention. Aldo & Barero are boring people and kinda boring fighters when fighting top competition. Mighty Mouse just looks stupid with an egg head. It all has to do with personality & showmanship really. For example if Jones wasn't such an idiot outside of fighting nobody would care about him either. Nobody cares about cain because he has no personality. People like watching sonnen and he sucks, but he makes up for it with his mouth. Kinda like muhamad ali, he wasn't all that and he fought cans other than a few decent people, but you can still hear his mouth running

dude...

You need few slaps, and wake up

Fighting sport is a blood sport, you are not watching tennis

It's the same reason people watch NASCAR, not for the competition, but to see car wrecks

It's the same reason people watch NASCAR, not for the competition, but to see car wrecks
True, but that has to do with the people's desire to be mindlessly entertained by a spectacle and nothing more.

It is important to separate higher pleasures from base ones.

Uh, excuse me?

You clearly didn't think that through if you actually meant to present that as a legitimate argument, because dropping in weight makes no fucking sense when you're having success.

They didn't "suggest lower weight class for him" because not only were his striking skills already superior, but he would have had a massive size/strength advantage to go with it, so what the hell would that prove? That Anderson Silva can outstrike people who are smaller than him? Well no shit.

You are wrong because your whole premise is uninformed: people call for successful fighters to go up in weight, to prove that their SKILL is mostly responsible for their success. Not the other way around.

Couture dropped to LHW because he realized he didn't have the size/strength to hang with people he was otherwise better conditioned and more skilled than.

you did not get the point.

If low weight is so skillful, AS should have lost weight, and test skill at weltherweight.

We both know it is not true, and that is why i made a sarkastic remark to all people saying low weight classes show more skill.

Sooner you face the realty the better

you did not get the point.

If low weight is so skillful, AS should have lost weight, and test skill at weltherweight.
Okay, and you did not get my point, which is that any technical advantage a WW would have over Silva (most likely in wrestling, or guard passing) would be invalidated by his size, because you do not have an argument.

Okay, and you did not get my point, which is that any technical advantage a WW would have over Silva (most likely in wrestling, or guard passing) would be invalidated by his size, because you do not have an argument.

how, if AS made cut to WW weight?

wow, just wow

how, if AS made cut to WW weight?

wow, just wow
Lol are you kidding me guy?

Are you literally not aware of the fact that 98% of fighters weigh at least 10lbs more than what they weigh in at?

WW Silva would be like 190lbs inside cage, easy, and you say "how" and "wow"? Hahahahahahaha

Lol are you kidding me guy?

Are you literally not aware of the fact that 98% of fighters weigh at least 10lbs more than what they weigh in at?

WW Silva would be like 190lbs inside cage, easy, and you say "how" and "wow"? Hahahahahahaha

do you understand it was made as hypothetically valid statement?
...also most fighters lose much more than 10 pound, GSP walked at same weight as AS.

I guess thats quantum physics for ya.

Point is that none of you day dreamers ever sugested such thing, even tho you stand ground with lower weight=more skill nonsense argument

Character sells fights, just ask Floyd and Sonnen.
True.

It really hurts Aldo that he's apparently such an outspoken guy, and yet no Americans are aware of this almost solely because he does not speak English.

I also feel that is what would keep MM or Chris Weidman from being very big draws. They just aren't very dynamic personalities.

so your point is that smaller guys have more skill?

Dont make me laugh

Only, and only if they beat bigger guys, then they have more skill.

I am pretty sure you don't know the definition of skills.

I am pretty sure you don't know the definition of skills.

I am pretty sure you dont know definition of skill.

Do you understand that body moves and behaves diferently with more mass attached to it, what you consider skill is just lack of mass

i think it's weird that so called fight fans determine their level of interest by weight class and gender. i guess some guys just don't want to watch little guys or girls fight, might be an ego thing, hurts their feelings to know these smaller people are more athletic and skilled than they are, and they like living vicariously through larger men. that or they just have preferences...

do you understand it was made as hypothetically valid statement?
...also most fighters lose much more than 10 pound, GSP walked at same weight as AS.
WHAT?! Fighters "walk" at the weight that they weigh when they aren't actively training to be in shape for a fight. Anderson Silva outside of a camp and relatively fat is 230. If you think GSP weighs anywhere near that in the same circumstances, then I literally don't know what to say to you.
divljak said:
Point is that none of you day dreamers ever sugested such thing, even tho you stand ground with lower weight=more skill nonsense argument
The point is that we never suggested a thing because you can't just pretend that size doesn't matter. What is this shit? LOL! You've obviously never trained if you can't understand that you can be less skilled than someone yet still beat them because you can just overpower everything they do...

Do you understand that body moves and behaves diferently with more mass attached to it, what you consider skill is just lack of mass
It's REALLY easy to say that when you have no conception of what Skill is, because you have never trained.

The fact remains that EVEN IF size was relatively equivalent, fighters like Aldo and Mighty Mouse would STILL do things that are simply outside the technical capacity of HWs... like pivot.

Back