Are Lower weight classes less marketable?

WHAT?! Fighters "walk" at the weight that they weigh when they aren't actively training to be in shape for a fight. Anderson Silva outside of a camp and relatively fat is 230. If you think GSP weighs anywhere near that in the same circumstances, then I literally don't know what to say to you.The point is that we never suggested a thing because you can't just pretend that size doesn't matter. What is this shit? LOL! You've obviously never trained if you can't understand that you can be less skilled than someone yet still beat them because you can just overpower everything they do...

lul what?

don't bother doing the weight vs skill argument again dude, it's a waste of your time, it's like they think people are saying that heavyweights have NO skill or something and have taken offense to it

I am pretty sure you dont know definition of skill.

Do you understand that body moves and behaves diferently with more mass attached to it, what you consider skill is just lack of mass

Skill has nothing to do with mass.

You can be bigger or smaller than a person and be more skilled or less.

In MMA and boxing currently, the smaller guys usually have more skills. That is because they NEED skills since they can't always rely on power.

So according to divljak, lower weight does not equal more skilled because size is a completely non-existent factor that does not affect anything.

OKAY THEN

lul what?
The fact that you are incapable of formulating a legitimate response to my fair and explained argument means that this inane waste of my time is now over.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

don't bother doing the weight vs skill argument again dude, it's a waste of your time, it's like they think people are saying that heavyweights have NO skill or something and have taken offense to it
You're right. I need to log off. Like holy SHIT...

It's REALLY easy to say that when you have no conception of what Skill is, because you have never trained.

The fact remains that EVEN IF size was relatively equivalent, fighters like Aldo and Mighty Mouse would STILL do things that are simply outside the technical capacity of HWs... like pivot.

the whole premise that you imply is that heavyweight, even tho he trains his whole life, will actually gain less experience in training than lightweight.

Which leads me to belive you are some couch potato, with no commone sense at all.

Looky there, Steve has a solution far ya all.

When you start training you MMA, loose as much weight as you can, because that will gain you more skill.

:icon_lol:

Look dude, maybe on avarage joe level, when someone trains for a month, but not on profesional and talented level

the whole premise that you imply is that heavyweight, even tho he trains his whole life, will actually gain less experience in training than lightweight.

Which leads me to belive you are some couch potato, with no commone sense at all.

When you start training you MMA, loose as much weight as you can, because that will gain you more skill.

Look dude, maybe on avarage joe level, when someone trains for a month, but not on profesional level

Nobody is saying if you lose weight you will gain more skill. Stop with the strawman arguments.

Or it's just because he doesn't gain the same experience from training because he can afford to rely on size/strength cut corners in training

HOW ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?

NIDBFUSABHUAHDSFI

Look dude, maybe on avarage joe level, when someone trains for a month, but not on profesional level

I'm extremely impressed.

Because I can't tell if this is an amazing troll job or if you are just that freaking retarded.

I'm just going to leave this here: as a general rule of thumb, female judoka make the best instructors, because they have to have perfect technique, since as men we often grow frustrated and just power through shit that we should be practicing technically.

Or it's just because he doesn't gain the same experience from training because he can afford to rely on size/strength cut corners in training

HOW ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?

NIDBFUSABHUAHDSFI

using your weight is part of a skill set.

You think light weights dont put weight into their punches, or grappling?

this is getting better and better

using your weight is part of a skill set.

You think light weights dont put weight into their punches, or grappling?

this is getting better and better

I think you have to be trolling. I hope you are.

Well, that's true, but only because your average person is an idiot who genuinely believes that "bigger = better" as it is the answer that is easiest and most palatable to their psychology.

People like to get behind a guy who is bigger than them because it makes sense that he could kick their ass. They take comfort in the fact that their Glorious Benefactor is a muscle-bound giant. What they don't like is having to wrestle with the nagging sense of inferiority that stems from considerations of "FUCK, that little guy could kick my ass?!?!".

You're right. The guy you are quoting is also right.

The reason is the market MMA operates in right now. In the other big combat sport, pro boxing, lighter weight classes are still popular to an extent because it operates in a market spanning a great many countries, and some of those countries (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Japan, Philipines etc.) have a great passion for their fighters who are often lighter, therefore some fighters in lower weight classes are highly popular.

MMA mainly is popular in NA and in that market historically the heavier weights are much more popular. For some reason that market simply in enamoured with huge, muscle bound men.

While I don't personally agree with Divljak's taste (I love the lighter divs and anyone getting kicked in the head will always fascinate me, gardless of how heavy they are) I certainly support his assertion that lighter guys are NOT 'more skillful' than heavier guys. They do LOOK sharper though, and that's simply because when it comes to the physics of overcoming their mass/inertia etc mighter guys have an advantage.

Wow, got to rambling a bit there, but bottom line is: yes, lower weights are less marketable (in cetain markets) and if someone prefers heavier weights, or lighter weights, good on them. Everyone has diffent tastes.

While I don't personally agree with Divljak's taste (I love the lighter divs and anyone getting kicked in the head will always fascinate me, gardless of how heavy they are) I certainly support his assertion that lighter guys are NOT 'more skillful' than heavier guys. They do LOOK sharper though, and that's simply because when it comes to the physics of overcoming their mass/inertia etc mighter guys have an advantage.
I absolutely cannot agree with this premise. You can't say it's a matter of "looking sharper" when Jose Aldo and Mighty Mouse regularly do something as simple as pivoting on their lead foot, which is an extremely important aspect of striking, and one that Cain Velasquez, JDS, etc. simply do not display, because they are technically inferior combatants.

Now, does being technically inferior mean you would lose a fight? Absolutely not, because this whole dispute stems from people's insecurity at hearing their cherished man-mountains be referred to as "technically inferior". Personally, I have no qualms in admitting that Cain would beat on Aldo really badly if they were to fight right now, because I understand that size matters, but I also understand that size does not equal skill.. because it doesn't.
Codpiece said:
Wow, got to rambling a bit there, but bottom line is: yes, lower weights are less marketable (in cetain markets) and if someone prefers heavier weights, or lighter weights, good on them. Everyone has diffent tastes.
Of course. I don't disagree with either assertion. People probably think I don't watch heavier weights, which really isn't true. It's just not my preference.

I absolutely cannot agree with this premise. You can't say it's a matter of "looking sharper" when Jose Aldo and Mighty Mouse regularly do something as simple as pivoting on their lead foot, which is an extremely important aspect of striking, and one that Cain Velasquez, JDS, etc. simply do not display, because they are technically inferior combatants.

Now, does being technically inferior mean you would lose a fight? Absolutely not, because this whole dispute stems from people's insecurity at hearing their cherished man-mountains be referred to as "technically inferior". Personally, I have no qualms in admitting that Cain would beat on Aldo really badly if they were to fight right now, because I understand that size matters, but I also understand that size does not equal skill.. because it doesn't.Of course. I don't disagree with either assertion. People probably think I don't watch heavier weights, which really isn't true. It's just not my preference.

Its not hard to get muscle mass with food supplements these days, also almost every MW and up, walks at HW weights, they could just gain few pounds more, and refuse to cut.

Then we would see their skill in action.

What you write is basically a stupid shit, you basically said, JDS, or Cain has no striking technique

I would say, Cain has better striking and grappling then most if not all fighters of all weight divisions, when i compare his boxing and wrestling to lets say GSP, who was a force of dominance in WW, its no contest

Bigger weight classes bring in the new fans, lower weight classes retain the existing fans.

Meanwhile, that TUF HW fight, was the the smallest HW fight in UFC history?
212 Vs 216 at HW?

Have to be close, those guys are MWs.

Back