Araj's Training Log: Starting Strength and Jiu Jitsu

2 hours nogi jiujitsu Monday night

Focused on single leg finishes from standing.
First was a drill where you are on your knees, in on the single leg, you put your knee behind his foot and drive with your head to finish (no hands). Then another drill from a different angle where you drive with your chest to finish.
Then an Outside Sweep Single. Note: knee needs to drop to the outside of his lead foot.

Then some sparring from standing. I went with the same stocky 175lb blue belt. First we clinched up (mistake on my part, he can ragdoll me in the clinch with his upper body strength). He went for an osoto gari, and I frantically backed my hips up and circled to avoid it. I was in close and couldn't escape the clinch so I shot on his legs and he sprawled and started to get a front headlock. He started to circle around to my back and I turtled, so we restarted from standing. I was working my "cow-catch" takedown defense, and stuffed like eight or nine of his shots that way. He took me down once with a blast double. I was in on a nice high single leg but my grip wasn't quite secure and he ran away as I was trying to finish it. End of round.

Then ground techniques.
First was a waiter sweep from closed guard, into a triangle when they post on your hip.
Then was a high guard armbar when they stand up in your closed guard.
Then a tripod sweep to ankle lock
Nice details on the ankle lock finish. Lower forearm on achilles tendon. Guillotine grip. Clamp elbow to ribcage, which increases tightness and twists their foot to the side. Drop shoulder to ground to finish. Also, keep foot on hip and use it to drive off to generate power.

Then rolling. First I went with the same guy from takedown sparring. He blitzed a pass literally as soon as the round started (as I went for the handshake), which I thought was sort of lame since he wouldn't have passed with that if I was ready. Anyway he got to north-south, I defended and started to escape, got back to my open guard. Attacked with a triangle, switched to an omoplata. It was DEEP, but he rolled out of it and there was a scramble. I came up on top but inside his guard. I was working to pass as the round ended.

Next I rolled with this older wrestler guy. He is improving very quickly, and learning the guard game pretty well. He sat guard first, and I was working to pass. I had a near pass but he recovered his guard and in the scramble I dropped for an ankle lock. He defended pretty well and I swept him from 1LX. I came up, he went for an ankle lock of his own and I ended up in mount as the round ended. This guy has cardio for days, it's ridiculous. He is improving rapidly and really has a good sense of how to move, even from the guard, which is rare for a wrestler.

Then I rolled with a couple white belts and worked my defense from bottom sidemount and from the back.

Then I rolled with the same 240lb Marcelo purple belt. Didn't have much success with anything, haha. He dominated the grips such that I couldn't really initiate many passes, and he was really good with armdrags and I had to sit to guard/concede the sweep in order to avoid getting my back taken. He passed every time with the same hop-over pass from my butterfly guard, and finished every time with the same north-south choke.

After class he showed me some cool guard retention tricks he learned from Marcelo. As the guy passes, even if he has already moved perpendicular and has a bear hug/bodylock, put a single collar tie, like a half muay thai clinch, on the side closer to your head. First level of defense: use this to create space, move your hips away, and re-square. Second level: hook his leg with your near leg from the outside, push through on the knee with your other leg, re-guard. Third level: hip-heist and turn back in.

Good stuff.

I've ordered Ryan Hall's triangle DVD, which should be here in a week or so. I am going to study it intently and try to develop that part of my game.
I also got Stephan Kesting and Brandon Mullins' Takedowns/Top Game app, which is pretty cool. I am going through it now and will have to make sure to drill that stuff after class on a regular basis.

Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013

TM: Light Day

Squats
135x2x5
155x1x5
185x1x3
205x2x5

Bench
45x1x5
115x1x5
145x1x5
165x3x5

Pull Ups (neutral grip)
10, 4
-felt like shit, i've been slacking on these lately. gotta work harder on these

Hanging Leg Raises
7, 7

2 and a half hours gi jiujitsu

First technique was a backstep DLR pass. Break their grips, put their non-hook leg between yours, pinch inwards with your knee. Reach down and grab and peel off their hand from your foot, other hand goes to the collar and crossfaces. Backstep, pass.

Then a leg drag from DLR, and a leg drag on the other (hooking leg) if they fight the firs tone.

Then some guard passing sparring. I went with the same guy I always go with, 175ish lb blue belt. I had trouble sweeping him but scrambled to my knees once. From the top he gave me trouble with spider guard but I passed once.

Then some spider guard passing. Basically working on breaking the grips and then passing however we preferred.

Then sparring.
I think I did like 4 or 5 rounds with a mix of blue and whitebelts. No exceptionally noteworthy rolls. I turned up the intensity and got a good workout, and worked my top game, passing, pressure, and submissions from the top.

After class, rolled with a white belt from standing. Took him down with kouchi and passed, sidemount to americana. Did that once more then decided to switch it up, so I didn't use my arms for the rest of the round. Still triangled him twice, lol.

Rolled with my instructor and got crushed with KOB and chokes.

December 5th, 2013
TM Intensity Day

Worst lifting session I've had in a long time... :(
I think I can chalk it up to lack of sleep, undereating and exam stress. Hopefully I come back stronger next week.

Squats
45x2x5
115x1x5
175x1x3
230x1x2 (Belt)
285x3 (Belt)

The first rep was shaky and uneven as hell. Second rep was equally bad. After the third rep I felt like I might get injured so I racked it. I hit 285 for 5 last week and the week before that, so I don't know what happened.
Well, I sort of do. We were drilling ankle locks on Monday and my partner had kind of a loose setup but compensated by twisting back really explosively. My instructor came over and showed him a detail to tighten it, and then when he tried it he did it very explosively and my ankle popped. I couldn't walk properly on Monday and it has been hurting ever since. I think that's the reason for the squat instability.

OHP
45x1x5
95x1x5
115x1x3

Meh. Was going to get five but racked it after three. Was mentally shaken from failing squats I guess.

Power Cleans
120x5x3

These, at least, went well.

Feeling pretty shitty about today's lifting. Next week WILL be better.

Saturday
2.5 hours nogi jiujitsu

First was ko uchi gari from a standing clinch, then ko uchi into tai otoshi if they step back.

Then some rounds of takedown sparring. I had a lot of success with my ko uchi gake, and stuffed a lot of shots. I took down 5 people and got taken down twice.

Then some basic halfguard passing where you put the knee across the hips to free your leg and pass.

Sunday
TM Volume Day

Squats
45x2x5
115x1x5
155x1x3
205x1x2
260x5x5

Bench
45x2x5
95x1x5
115x1x3
145x1x2
165x5x5

DL
315x5

uhh
been a while
my schedule got slightly fucked by finals, and personal stuff has left me not feeling great either.

anyway, here goes:

wednesday
tm light day

squats
something something
205x2x5

ohp
105x3x5

pull ups
6 or something

wednesday gi jiujitsu
tai otoshi workshop, then gi chokes:
-one weird arm ezekiel thing when they block the cross choke from closed guard
-bow and arrow from the back, and from mount
-after blocked armdrag to back from closed guard, reach around lapel and choke.

rolling was ok.
then after class i did like 45 minutes of striking sparring with a friend of mine. felt good, haven't done any for several months. i nailed him with a bunch of head kicks and punches and side kicks to the body, he landed quite a few leg kicks.

Friday
TM Intensity Day

Squats
blah
285x4, failed fifth rep (no sleep-finals week, no food)

bench
blah
180x5

power cleans
115x5x3

Well I've gotten rather behind on logging. Finals week stress etc.

Saturday
Nogi jiujitsu
Turtle/roll to block the guard pass. I got a chance to teach it to a group of newer students by direction of my instructor. It was cool, I really enjoy teaching because it ties in with my analytical approach to grappling.
Then some knee on belly concepts. Basically you have to be dynamic with your pressure and ready to move and adjust, don't try to grind them into the mat and stay static.
This was the only relevant roll (~25 minutes)
Rolled with a friend of mine (upper blue belt with a serious judo background) who graduated last year and is now living in Texas. He used to kick my ass every single day, so I was excited to see where I stood now (he has been training consistently at a Drysdale affiliate). Came out aggressively, took him down with ko uchi, worked the GSP pressure passing sequence but he re-guarded, eventually managed to pass. Started attacking his far arm with the kimura, he rolled towards it and turtled, I jumped on his back and armbarred him. Then I took him down again and worked to pass but he swept me with a kimura grip, passed with an x pass, went to mount and I defended for several minutes. He has an endless gas tank and I was seriously gassing, but I managed to survive for about six minutes but finally he caught me in kimura. Then we started again, he jumped closed guard, I defended for a bit, got my knee in and fell back for the ankle lock and he tapped. That was a super intense, fast-paced roll, and I'm glad to see my progress relative to him, especially in the takedowns since he has a legit judo and wrestling background and I do not.

Sunday
Went in for an impromptu training session with this huge Marcelo Garcia purple belt. Got some good details on the north-south choke (keep encircling arm tight, walk back, drop your shoulder and squeeze your elbow to your lat) and x pass (in nogi, palm on sternum, kick up not back, cup top of knee and push it through, go to KOB).
He destroyed me in rolling; I must have gotten N/S choked a million times.

Monday
This is the big 'un.

Morning Danaher class at Renzo's.
Technique was sidemount escapes.
First one: They haven't yet locked their hands. Elbow high, underhook, grab ankle, figure four it with your legs, go to deep half, walk their knee over, and sweep.
Second one: They have locked their hands. Wrist in their jaw, bridge, underhook, turn to knees and grab their ankle. Their ankle between your knees, underhook again. As they drive into you, limp-arm out of it and seatbelt grip their back.
Third one: They have a VERY tight upperbody control. Bicep punch temple, bring knee in. Push it with your other foot to extend your back away, trap their underhooking arm. Armbar the trapped arm, belly down.

Then four 7-minute rounds. Those guys are tough as hell. I went with two blue belts and two brown belts (in that order). First two rolls I was competitive and hit some sweeps and stuff, last two rolls i was in survive and escape mode.

Then a single leg takedown. You are in on the single, they move their foot to the outside of your thigh. Run the pipe to put it back between your legs, step forward and trip the planted foot to finish.

Danaher afternoon class log to be updated shortly

PS I am taking a week off lifting because I am stalling and generally feeling ground into the dirt by the physical workload (combination of jiujitsu and TM)

Okay, Monday continued I guess

Returned for Danaher's afternoon class (nogi, as was the morning in case I forgot to mention) because why not

First technique was a single leg finish. Head in their hip, push and circle to finish.

Then triangles from butterfly.
First some words on gripping philosophy. He wants a wrist and a tricep grip ideally, but in certain situations double wrist is ok. The former is better because the guy can't pull his arm out. However you can also accomplish this with tension such as a foot in the hip or a push to the knee.

First technique: The guy is gripping your ankles from your butterfly guard. Right hand on wrist, left hand on tricep. Flare his elbow OUT as you fall diagonally to your right side, pulling him into the "trap triangle". From here, adjust to finish as needed.

Second technique: Double wrist grip, "like a baseball bat". Foot on hip, pull and trap triangle. Adjust, finish.

Third technique: He won't let you get wrist grips. Push his knee to get him to base, use your legs on his back to pull you in to the trap triangle. Adjust, finish.

4 7-minute rounds.
Some competitive rounds (I faced less experienced [as in, not brown/black belts] guys this time and did better). Took down some young guy about my size who was probably an upper blue belt, passed his guard, and swept him a few times after we had to reset for space issues. Got triangled by some really tough purple belt girl.

Evening
Went in for some informal striking sparring at Columbia. Did a couple rounds of kickboxing and wrecked everyone, then a couple rounds of boxing and still wrecked everyone. I think I got hit 6 times throughout the evening, and most of them were glancing. Really worked on my head movement and bodyshots as well as closing the distance, all areas I've struggled with in the past. I was landing really well with my left hook and straight right as well as with my side kick.

Total of 10 3-minute rounds.

Hey everyone,

gotten behind on stuff due to finals but here's a cliffsnotes of the past week

tuesday of last week
90 minutes of rolling/open mat. worked some Ryan Hall arm triangle stuff and a Marcelo purple belt showed me a cool straight armlock from butterfly.

wed-fri, exams, no training at all :(

thurs-sat, a lot of drinking and smoking, no training still

sunday
got home for winter break, 3hr open mat at a different academy from my usual one. smashed all the blue belts, got absolutely destroyed by the upper purple belts.
I think I did like 7 7minute rounds.

Now, for the new stuff:
In preparation for the upcoming competition season, I have decided to drop to featherweight (149) and temporarily stop doing TM, doing 5/3/1 instead so I can get my cardio up.
Thus my goals are to maintain and hopefully gain strength, improve my grip strength and especially pull ups, and achieve high-level cardio through jogging and sprints.

So today was the first day of 5/3/1

Squats
135x5
155x5
185x3
195x5
225x5 (Belt)
255x6 (Belt)

Could have gotten more, although it felt more difficult than it should have. On my last work set my boxers ripped on the first rep (lol) which was a big distraction on the other reps. Was aiming for 8, but oh well. I don't think it was muscular strength that stopped me from getting 8, just distraction.

Bench
45x5
120x5
140x5
155x8

Felt good. Obviously this was less weight than I usually do. I felt like I had a couple of reps in the tank.

Pendlay Rows
115x3x5

Curls (lol)
50lbsx3x10

Open mat then class on monday night, total of 2.5 hours

Open mat-
did some x guard drilling with my instructor. Entry from deep half. Stay tight in half guard, drop to shoulder, enter deep half, fork grip on armpit to push away, enter x, sweep.
rolled with a big brown belt and then had a really long competitive roll with a purple belt. He passed my guard and went to north-south and took my back, I started to escape and defended for a while then got to deep half and came up on top, passed to reverse scarf, isolated his arm and exposed his ribcage (something i keep forgetting to do) and mounted him. He could not escape and I was working to isolate an arm, but he was defending very well. It eventually got to a point where I could have maintained position but I didn't want to stall so I dismounted, he recovered his guard and armbarred me with a really slick transition. He commented on how much better I've gotten- he was actually my drilling partner on my first day of jiujitsu (back when he was a blue belt) so it's cool to see how far I've come.

Tuesday
1.5 hours of open mat at the same place from sunday

Got wrecked by the super skilled purple belt who helps teach jiujitsu at that academy. Rolled with a 4 stripe blue belt and he swept me a couple times and I swept him a couple times. No guard passes.
Rolled with a strong stocky purple belt with insane grips. He couldn't pass my guard and I couldn't pass his, but he submitted me a couple times from his guard after I came up from sweeps.
Rolled with a white belt, thinking I'd be in for a break- nope, turns out he did 12 years of judo, lol. Anyway I triangled him 3 times using some Ryan Hall DVD stuff.

Then I went to a christmas party and ate my bodyweight in cake and ice cream.

Hopefully I will train today if someone runs an open mat somewhere.

It's been a while- I am currently in Bangalore, India. I will be traveling around India until the 12th which will disrupt my training, but oh well.

Last Thursday, I did another day of 5/3/1

I don't really remember my numbers but I think my deadlifts went 225, 275, 315 (5 reps each)
and my OHP went something like 95, 100,, 105 (5 reps first 2 sets, 8 last set AMRAP)
Then like 3 sets of 8 pullups.

Saturday morning, fundamentals class then open mat

Rolled with a stocky, strong blue belt and triangled him using a ryan hall setup, and caught him in a bunch of darces. A few other rolls that were stalemates.

Found a jiujitsu school in Bangalore where I went to train last night. We did some turtle attacks and then some rolling. Their blue belts are tough, and I was kind of stalemating with them, but I was also massively jetlagged.

Going back there tonight

Well, just got back from 2 and a half weeks in India.

Not much training while away- I told myself that I was going to do some cardio at least but the air quality was shit, I got sick, and I was lazy.

Anyway, I did a total of 3 days of jiujitsu in India, which was fun- it was nice to find a place to train there.

Went to the gym today, trying to get back into lifting.

Bench
5x5 at 155

Squat 3x5 at 225

Hoping to get back to my old numbers soon. I don't FEEL weaker, but I'm being conservative in my lifting at the moment. Gotta ease back into it, like a latex gimp suit.

Anyway,

Tuesday night- Muay Thai with a few people. Did a couple rounds and it felt good to get back into the swing of things since I haven't done striking in a long time.

Wednesday, 1/22

Squats
3x5 at 235

Bench 3x5 at 165

DL 1x5 at 275

Thursday- Muay Thai again, with a much bigger turnout. One guy has something like 11 pro fights and is ridiculously good. He gave me a lot of good tips. During sparring he dropped me with a liver shot and generally beat me up. It felt good, even if I'm sore and bruised a full day later.

Friday-

Squats
3x5 at 245

OHP
3x5 at 105

Power Cleans
5x3 at 95

Registered for Grappler's Quest: Beast of the East on March 29th in Queens, NY.
Men's Nogi Intermediate. Will probably be around 160lbs, since that's what I'm at now. Not sure about the details of the GQ weight classes but I usually compete at lightweight.

I've been lifting but just not logging it lately.

I'm back on Starting Strength to try to get back to my pre-winter break numbers and hopefully exceed them at least a little bit.

Yesterday's workout:

Squats
3x5 at 255

Bench
3x5 at 165

DL
1x5 at 305

Pull ups
7, 7, 5

Felt good, and the bar moved quickly on all of these.

I'm training jiujitsu 3 times a week, developing a gameplan, and also training Muay Thai 3 times a week.

In preparation for this competition I really need to up my training intensity and stop defaulting to laid-back, smooth, low-energy jiujitsu.

Hey guys,
It's been quite a while.
Cliffs notes:
hurt my knee and seriously fucked up my right thumb.
haven't been lifting for various reasons.
have been doing a lot of conditioning (esp Ross Enamait's sequential fatigue challenge)
Grappler's Quest coming up on March 29th.

Went to Renzo's for Danaher's morning class yesterday and learned some cool stuff and got smashed by some badass purple and brown belts. My sternum is a bit fucked from a big brown belt's gratuitously savage knee on belly.
Will train more today.
Spring break woo!

Well...
fucked up my thumb WAY worse in training last night, and had to postpone my registration for Grappler's Quest.
Am now doing the tourney in NJ on July 26th instead.
This sucks, as I was really looking forward to competing, but I realized after talking with my coach that first of all, I'd basically have to fight one-handed and second of all, my thumb would almost certainly get way more injured and need surgery and would likely require months off.

Anyway I got back to lifting today.

Squats
235x3x5

Bench
155x3x5 (thumbless on right hand, which was fucking weird)

DL
265x5
Hook grip, thumbless, weird.

Latest workouts: Tues, 4/8 and Friday, 4/11

Tuesday
Squats
250x3x5

Bench
160x3x5

DL
285x1x5

Easy, felt like i could have done a lot more on all the lifts.

Friday
Squats
255x3x5

OHP
95x3x5 (Had to use a thumbless grip on right side due to injury)

Pull Ups
10, 6, 6

Was supposed to lift today (Sunday) but feeling rather under the weather so I'm taking a day off.

Ey

It's been a while but for the past few weeks I've finally been getting back into the swing of things, training-wise.

Tuesday, May 27th - Squat 3x5 at 215, Bench 3x5 at 135, DL 1x5 at 245
Thursday, May 29th - Squat 3x5 at 220, OHP 3x5 at 95, Pullups 3x5 at BW
Saturday, May 31st - Squat 3x5 at 225, Bench 3x5 at 140, DL 1x5 at 255
Tuesday, June 3rd - Squat 3x5 at 230, OHP 3x5 at 100, Pullups 6,6,4 at BW
Thursday, June 5th - Squat 3x5 at 235, Bench 3x5 at 145, DL 3x5 at 265

I've also been training jiujitsu about 3 times a week.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I wanted to add is that on previous attempts to return from my lifting hiatus, my knees were coming in slightly on my squat ascent. This is why I've dropped the weight so much. I've been making a conscious effort to remedy this by spreading the floor and pushing out on the outside of my feet. I hope it works because I don't think I had this problem before.

Last edited:
Saturday, June 7th, 2014

Squats 3x5 @ 240, OHP 3x5 @ 100, Pull Ups 6,6,5

Then some jiujitsu rounds

Oh also, I've been avoiding using my belt because I'm still weak as fuck; I figure once I get back to my old numbers (~255-260 squat, ~315 DL) I'll phase it back in.

More jiujitsu today probably.

Been playing around with the berimbolo lately. Mostly so I can learn how to kill it.
In nogi I find it's pretty easy to avoid and on the occasions I do get knocked over I can usually scramble out. One of my training partners is getting good at the reverse berimbolo thing from RDLR, which is a pain cause WHENEVER he gets the position he is able to get underneath and I have to basically run away to stop getting my back taken.

My other priorities this month are standing passes (series of Knee slice, x pass, and smash pass) and knee on belly attacks/generally making life miserable from there.
I had some success with an over-under pass yesterday so I might try to play with that more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back