• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Applying "old school" Boxing to Muay Thai

you cant be TOO bladed like old school boxers, you can be a lil bit bladed like Petrosyan and still check effectively.. I never said to turn your foot inward like its a skateboard, thats bad technique even for boxing...

you cant be TOO bladed like old school boxers, you can be a lil bit bladed like Petrosyan and still check effectively.. I never said to turn your foot inward like its a skateboard, thats bad technique even for boxing...

It isn't just the inward turned front foot with knee pointed in I don't like. The inward pointed foot is ok as long as your knee isn't pointed right in, though that's hard for most people to get used to. It is all the inward pivoting on slips and hits with the lead foot I don't like.

I'm sure there are examples of heroes pivoting their lead foot in during kick boxing, but I still don't like it.

Agree and I'll add that

1) those guys there are very experienced and its not their first rodeo.

2) punching technique wasn't very polished in Thailand back then.

3) notice that those guys have their hands low while theyre at the edge of kicking (let alone punching) range. It progressively goes up as they get closer.

4) you wouldn't watch the 1960 Celtics over the 2010 version.

1) Irrelevant.

2) Clearly untrue. Did you watch the video? Vicharnnoi has some blistering hands, and I am particularly fond of how he uses his lead leg to set them up.

3) True. I believe that is partly because of the clinch, but notice that Vicharnnoi's lead hand comes up the center when they close distance. That's both to blind his opponent and create a sense of threat, so that he controls the distance. Having that lead hand there (or the lead foot on the outside) is a huge factor in controlling the fight.

4) I wouldn't watch either.

It probably has to do with the scoring criteria back then... Today, the muay thai stance is designed for that kicking/knee/elbow score heavy criteria.... that Nak muay in the video doesnt have the hands low, he still defends high kicks, etc...

you'll probably find more old school principles at work in western muay thai/kick boxing... they cross train boxing alot more than in thailand..

It has a ton to do with the scoring, in my opinion. The huge emphasis on clinching and kicking these days has guys sometimes throwing no more than 10 punches a match. Instead, they walk forward and engage in the clinch immediately. Having your head close to your opponent isn't such a big deal when you're completely unafraid that he will punch you in the face, and having the hands high is a much more effective way to deal with the clinch and threat of elbows, especially with your head in that forward position. There is also an emphasis on pulling the body away from the opponent, since body kicks are the most common attack and so highly valued.

How the hell does muay thai.....in Thailand .....get diluted when there are 10s of thousands of ppl with 200+ pro fights , innumerable camps by former champs , an unprecedented level of worldwide interest combined with a constant and pervasive social penetration (Thailand) by tv / online / advertising / cinema / gambling / government and royal participation / tourism ...... a veritable way of life for 100s of thousands of athletes ?

Instead of "dilution" have you tried thinking of it as an evolution ?

It gets diluted by a change in emphasis. There used to be a lot more emphasis on punching techniques, or at least fighters weren't penalized for relying on their hands the way they are now. This is a largely modern change, from what I can tell. Guys have very little interest in using their boxing in the ring when the scoring emphasis is so heavily placed on kicking/clinching. Even dangerous boxers like Jomthong Chuwattana and Saenchai rely on their kicks far more than their punches in Muay Thai. It's a scoring thing.

Also, you point out that gambling would prevent the art from being diluted, but you could argue that the opposite is true. Gambling in Thailand has a huge effect on the way fights are fought/scored, e.g. the two "feeler" rounds and then the two and a half "fight" rounds, all accompanied by steadily intensifying music. It's all for the benefit of the bettors.

I don't understand how the only thing people get from "old school boxing" is fighting with a low guard. Don't get me wrong if I'm doing MT or MMA I keep a higher guard but there are plenty of things you can take away from great boxers that apply to striking in general outside of your guard.

Good posture, weight distribution, head movement may be things emphasized in an "old school boxing style" but they are completely universal to striking. Just because a lot (definitely not all) of people at BS Thai schools and MMA schools don't receive a solid striking education does not mean those fundamentals are not a part of MMA/MT.

In my opinion, don't try and box in an MT fight the art is not designed for that. However there are 100000000s of things you can learn boxing that are than applicable to how you train your other martial arts.

I completely agree, except the "don't box in MT" part. If that's your strong suit, it's perfectly applicable to use it. I personally prefer to get into-mid range and punch.

A few things i'd like to add to DuckAndCover's post (which is an excellent post on this subject)
-90/10 weight distribution imo is a tad too much. Maybe 70/30 or 60/40. But it is up to you.
-Lead hand point toward the other guy's centreline like a knife to threaten him, as if "i'm gonna hurt you with this"
-The lead shoulder raise is achieve by tilt the hip forward. That way the shoulder will come up on its own without you actually need to do it yourself.
-If you like to fade back as a measure against high kick, try to twist your back leg 45 degrees angle instead of 90 degrees and widen your base a bit. This is to ensure that when you fade away your head don't come over your back leg, which can really be scary since you won't have balance in that moment.
-Use the teep. In this stance it really facciliate the usage of the teep as a weapon.

Listen to this stuff, TS. Good advice if you want to apply these concepts in kickfighting.

I dont see whats the issue of using positioning and footwork (old school principals) with a high guard... at least for pure MT... why open yourself to attacks (high kicks, etc.) with a low guard...

and the weight cant be too much on the back foot or you wont be able to check effectively..

There isn't much of an issue. There are plenty of guys who do it very well.

It's funny, because the "old schoolers" on this board all advocate those principles of boxing because of the defensive advantages, but the lowered hands are really an offensive advantage. I personally believe that a very high and tight guard can be a defensive liability, but the truth is that it hinders your offense far more. High hands make your punches quicker to the target, but they also make them a lot more obvious. Uppercuts are money in Muay Thai where guys aren't used to watching for punches from below the shoulders. It's not that you can't raise your hands, but that feeling comfortable in letting them move away from your head opens up a ton of offensive options and angles.

I got ya. People act like I'm talking crazy when I suggest pointing your feet straight but blading at the waist. :)

My lead foot position is dependent on the opponent's position. I try to track him with my lead leg and hand. You have to be cautious of kicks, but that's just more reason to learn to read kicks. I still say that kicks are almost always easier to see coming than punches if you're looking at the right places on the opponent's body and keeping him in sight. The trickiest thing about kicks is how they can come from the same side as a punch, so that if you move your head but take your eyes off the opponent, you can end up leaning right into a head kick. That's happened to me more than once.

TS: This is a tough one, because we don't have the same builds. The key to getting inside, though, is to get your hips in before your head, and maintain your posture even at close range. Personally, I do this with my teep and my jab. I like to stick the opponent in the body or hip with the teep a few times, and then feint the teep hopping into range to throw punches. Even just raising the knee can work at certain ranges if you like to change levels and throw to the body. Make sure you're always reading your opponent's reactions and testing them with feints before going crazy and running in trying to land.

Also, best start working on your bodylock game! Learn to fight from the double underhook position--throws, footsweeps, knees to the legs, back takes, etc. I'd think those things will be invaluable for a guy with your stature.

You know what's amazing about the concept of the lead hand pointing toward the other guy's centreline? Now i think i finally realized what is "establish the jab" meant to be. It is not just spam the jab just for the sake of it. To establish the jab is to establish the fact that "HERE IS MY JAB, IT IS THREATHENING YOU AND I'M GONNA HURT YOU BADLY WITH IT". When you are able to establish your jab firmly and have the opponent getting jumpy from it, you will be able to have the initiative needed to kick the other guy's ass however way you want.

You know what's amazing about the concept of the lead hand pointing toward the other guy's centreline? Now i think i finally realized what is "establish the jab" meant to be. It is not just spam the jab just for the sake of it. To establish the jab is to establish the fact that "HERE IS MY JAB, IT IS THREATHENING YOU AND I'M GONNA HURT YOU BADLY WITH IT". When you are able to establish your jab firmly and have the opponent getting jumpy from it, you will be able to have the initiative needed to kick the other guy's ass however way you want.

That's my understanding, too. Word up.

To add to that, simply jabbing without thought has gotten plenty of guys knocked out. That's what "cross counters" are made of.

Last edited:
oh boy , you guys have got to start sparring with some high calibre people , some of the things you are suggesting are only setting you up to get knocked the fuck out ,

if your lead hand is at the centre line of your opponent , so is your lead leg , might as well kiss it good bye

yes a good established jab is very important, but you dont see it as much in mauy thai fighting because of the range , i will eat your jab just for the opportunity to kick you as hard as i can , in the legs or the head

start sparring guys who are out to hurt you and you will see why the muay thai guys fight the way they do and arent trying to reninevt the wheel , that is the only way you will realize that the same stuff in boxing may or may not apply to the kicking game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...n from those who know and then teach others ,

Last edited:
Great posts by Peanut and Kounter IMO.
Experience has a massive amount to do with fighting a specific rule set with an unorthodox style. And for Nuke to say that they obviously didn't just change there style over night and must have been tought that way is a little silly.
Chances are most guys on here are never ever going to gain as much training and experience as a man that fights as a profession. Training 40hrs a week, and fighting twice a month. During that time there's alot of experimentation with what works and what doesn't. These guys have found that they are more successful with this style and have developed it over many years. There's no reason why anybody else couldn't fight like this, but the amount of time and experience to get to a high enough level to pull it off isn't there for most.
If you ever go to a racetrack, you'll see that guys take differnt lines through corners, th reason is that the top guys use riskier techniques because they have the experience to know how far they can push things. If you take a good driver and show him the basic lines and good technique he'll be fast. If the first thing you show him is cross foot braking and cutting corners he's gonna get hurt. Same with fighting.

Last edited:
oh boy , you guys have got to start sparring with some high calibre people , some of the things you are suggesting are only setting you up to get knocked the fuck out ,

if your lead hand is at the centre line of your opponent , so is your lead leg , might as well kiss it good bye

yes a good established jab is very important, but you dont see it as much in mauy thai fighting because of the range , i will eat your jab just for the opportunity to kick you as hard as i can , in the legs or the head

start sparring guys who are out to hurt you and you will see why the muay thai guys fight the way they do and arent trying to reninevt the wheel , that is the only way you will realize that the same stuff in boxing may or may not apply to the kicking game

this is the video "sinister "posted ath the begining of the thread , do you guys see anything that you are recommending to others used in his fighting style , is his leadhand on the center line , is his lead leg hanging out there , is he establishing the jab
what the man is doing different is closing his stance so its not as wide and deep , this is because probably his opponent has a good leg kicking game , the same strategy is used today in many martial arts , even bas rutten describes such a strategy , his hands are lower because he probably is very seasoned and has seen thousands of head kicks coming at him just like anderson silva and rjj or top level tkd and karate players , so he prefers to cover his body more because since his stance is tighter , his body is more exposed to kicks and the range of the fight will be closer

i am not seeing all this head off centre and weight distribution poppy **** you all are talking about , muay thai has been around a hell of alot longer than boxing , im sure they have got it figured out as to what works and doesnt work , why dont you guys immerse yourselves in the muay thai fighting style and stop giving bad advice , learn from those who know and then teach others ,

Great posts by Peanut and Kounter IMO.
Experience has a massive amount to do with fighting a specific rule set with an unorthodox style. And for Nuke to say that they obviously didn't just change there style over night and must have been tought that way is a little silly.
Chances are most guys on here are never ever going to gain as much training and experience as a man that fights as a profession. Training 40hrs a week, and fighting twice a month. During that time there's alot of experimentation with what works and what doesn't. These guys have found that they are more successful with this style and have developed it over many years. There's no reason why anybody else couldn't fight like this, but the amount of time and experience to get to a high enough level to pull it off isn't there for most.
If you ever go to a racetrack, you'll see that guys take differnt lines through corners, th reason is that the top guys use riskier techniques because they have the experience to know how far they can push things. If you take a good driver and show him the basic lines and good technique he'll be fast. If the first thing you show him is cross foot braking and cutting corners he's gonna get hurt. Same with fighting.

Excusse me Peanut, but you are going on by using A LOT of broad generalizations here.

This reminded me when the topic of Petrosyan's headmovement come up, and a lot of people went like "you can't train that! You are not him! You are not experienced like him!". Yes, because Petrosyan was trained in a normal style of muay thai, the slow, plodding war of attrition kind of muay thai that many trained and training in and out of nowhere he busts out his dynamic kickboxing game he is known for with his tight defense, headmovement (which often considered to be something unadaptable for kickboxing), potshotting and the usage of legs attackto set up the hands (which goes pretty much almost everyone who trained in a Dutch Muay Thai style that is prevalent in the Europe with their combo-spamming and usage of hands to set up the legs).

My point is that a fighter's certain styles and preferences are always gonna have roots in the system he had been taught, only refine and sharpen as he trains and compete. There's no way in hell a guy can study one style and then suddenly try another approach that is different than most of the other fighters because he is "experienced". That is like a lot of people here told me off to learn modern boxing first and then try to learn old school boxing later. That's not gonna happen because there is no way a guy can change up his styles and preferences after it had been set in stone for years. I'm pretty sure guys like Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Giorgio Petrosyan and Vicharnnoi didn't just fought like every other guys out there and then suddenly develop this uber-style they are displayed of out of mere "experiences". There are more than enough examples about how this train of thinking is rather faulty. It is similar to how BJJ guys often scoff at the notion of learning leg locks at Whitebelt is because it is "dangerous" and should only attempt later, and then cannot incorporated it as well as guys who trained leg locks in the beginner level and refine as they progress.

Also i see a lot of hand-waving around this issue as well, with the 3 mentalities i see a lot: first is "it happened...but it doesn't happened now so it is invalid" that Sinister made fun of, and "yeah but thousand other guys train this way so therefore if you are training differently you are going to be shit when fighting high calibur guy". To me it just served to discourage a guy's will to learn something different to help his game, i know because that had thrown at me numerous times before. Just because one thing is popular doesn't make it any less correct or optimal than something obscure and old (modern boxing vs old school boxing, anyone?) And also, TS is talking about adaption and learning from concepts of old school boxing to help his muay thai game, not "i'm going to fight muay thai in old school boxing way" like more than a few people here misunderstood. So at least don't discourage the guy. Whether or not it works it will entirely up to him. It had been working for me and Discipulus so far, so why not let the guy have his attempt?

why would you consider floyd jr. and bernard hopkins as "old school boxing " is beyond me , you dont know what old school boxing is , thats the problem , i dont know what you are even talking about when you use the term old school ,, please explain the era that this old school is coming from 1850 , 1900 , 1920 ,1950 , 1980, 2000, you cant put your finger on it because there isnt such a thing ,

all you guys do is post a picture of some random dude standing in a "old school stance " and say yup , thats what i want , i have pictures of my grandmother standing in similar stances ..if you are going to teach a lesson ,, explain exacltly what the lesson entails and how it applies to muay thai

when you posted your video of sparring the karate guys in your old school system , do you know why you got beat so bad ? its because you dont have a system , all you have is a stance , to fight like that requires a complex defensive system , it is a counter fighters stance , you got eaten up because you didnt move your feet and had no answer for their attacks ,, those guys arent even any good , let alone you face someone who really wants to hurt you , that is why i dont understand why you are trying to push that style onto others in muay thai ,, im sure sinister has some ideas and counters to go with that stance , but you guys dont ,, so let the ts learn properly from muay thai instructors who know what the fuck they are talking about .

Nuclearlandmine; My point is that a fighter's certain styles and preferences are always gonna have roots in the system he had been taught said:
Give it a few years and you might understand

why would you consider floyd jr. and bernard hopkins as "old school boxing " is beyond me , you dont know what old school boxing is , thats the problem , i dont know what you are even talking about when you use the term old school ,, please explain the era that this old school is coming from 1850 , 1900 , 1920 ,1950 , 1980, 2000, you cant put your finger on it because there isnt such a thing ,

all you guys do is post a picture of some random dude standing in a "old school stance " and say yup , thats what i want , i have pictures of my grandmother standing in similar stances ..if you are going to teach a lesson ,, explain exacltly what the lesson entails and how it applies to muay thai

when you posted your video of sparring the karate guys in your old school system , do you know why you got beat so bad ? its because you dont have a system , all you have is a stance , to fight like that requires a complex defensive system , it is a counter fighters stance , you got eaten up because you didnt move your feet and had no answer for their attacks ,, those guys arent even any good , let alone you face someone who really wants to hurt you , that is why i dont understand why you are trying to push that style onto others in muay thai ,, im sure sinister has some ideas and counters to go with that stance , but you guys dont ,, so let the ts learn properly from muay thai instructors who know what the fuck they are talking about .

The reason the phrase get thrown a lot because well...it is boxing back in the days around 90 years ago so it is old school boxing
Floyd Mayweather's style is a distillation of the Philly Shell, which have roots in James J Jefferies' crab stance. James J Jefferies is a boxer circa 1890 iirc. Look at the off-lined head, the raised shoulder and weight on the backfoot.
300px-JEFFRIES09.jpg

And compare that to this
images

As for Bernard Hopkins, look for his footworks and usage of angle. His stance is also something directly from old school boxing.
Bernard%252BHopkins%252BJoe%252BCalzaghe%252BWorkout%252BSessions%252BvgzNFIa8KgJl.jpg

Note the elevated lead shoulder, his head is offline, chest up chin down, weight on the backfoot. This is the kind of stance that is very prevalent back in the day. Here is Jack Johnson's stance, which is another very famous boxer back in the day. Jack Johnson actually beat the tar out of James J Jefferies when they fought.
images

If you want further informations, i could PM you because i don't want to derail the thread.

As for my beating at the hands of the Kyokushin guys, let's remembered that i'm barely 6 months into the system, and the guys are green, brown and yellow belt, which are rather high-ranked belt. Of course i was gonna get my ass kick. This is not to mention this is in the ruleset, which even though i'm aware of it i don't spar in it enough as those guys. But then, let's not act like high calibur guys like Petrosyan and many others had their own bad days too before they get better. Everyone ought to pay the dues to the arts, and it is no exception.

Give it a few years and you might understand

Sure.........

" nuke" this is why you get jumped , yes floyd uses the philly shell , yes bernard hopkins gets his head of center , they are both excellent accomplished boxers , but you are only looking at a picture and freezing a moment in time and classifying it as a style , get some footage of the guy doing the crab stance and floyd jr ,, compare the two and they are not remotely close , im not saying the influence wasnt there ,,
anyways thats boxing

when kicking is introduced , its a whole other game , floyd would eat a switch kick in the face while in his philly shell or get clinched and kneed and elbowed in muay thai rules ,,, that doesnt mean he isnt a good fighter it only means that he cant do some of the stuff that he normally would do .why cant you understand that they are different arts and different strategies must be employed ,,

the stance you want can be used in muay thai or martial arts , but you need a system to attack and defend from that stance , ive sen guys stance that looks like they are standing there waiting for a bus , but they can fight from there

the kyokushin guys had attacks and counters as part of their training , you are not adopting any in your style , that is the problem , not the stance , for you to adopt a boxing only style in your system and enter it into muay thai rules is dangerous to say the least ,, muay thai is already a refined fighting system , learn it ,, or just stick to boxing .

but dont think just cause it works in boxing its good for muay thai or martial arts

Peanut, when will you learn... you DO NOT mess with oldschool boxing on Nuke's watch...

It is the perfect style for all fighting styles in the world...

dont you get it? here lemme put up a picture of an oldschool boxer...

pod0708.jpg

how about now?

"It doesn't take much to recognize an idiot." Just look at their inability to spell plural words properly despite being PMed about how they should correct it.

love me some decent defensive "footworks"

" nuke" this is why you get jumped , yes floyd uses the philly shell , yes bernard hopkins gets his head of center , they are both excellent accomplished boxers , but you are only looking at a picture and freezing a moment in time and classifying it as a style , get some footage of the guy doing the crab stance and floyd jr ,, compare the two and they are not remotely close , im not saying the influence wasnt there ,,
anyways thats boxing

when kicking is introduced , its a whole other game , floyd would eat a switch kick in the face while in his philly shell or get clinched and kneed and elbowed in muay thai rules ,,, that doesnt mean he isnt a good fighter it only means that he cant do some of the stuff that he normally would do .why cant you understand that they are different arts and different strategies must be employed ,,

the stance you want can be used in muay thai or martial arts , but you need a system to attack and defend from that stance , ive sen guys stance that looks like they are standing there waiting for a bus , but they can fight from there

the kyokushin guys had attacks and counters as part of their training , you are not adopting any in your style , that is the problem , not the stance , for you to adopt a boxing only style in your system and enter it into muay thai rules is dangerous to say the least ,, muay thai is already a refined fighting system , learn it ,, or just stick to boxing .

but dont think just cause it works in boxing its good for muay thai or martial arts

Then if posssible, please explain how Floyd or Bernard Hopkins is modern boxers outside of the fact that they fights in modern time. I use freeze of moment in time to better illustrate their connection toward the old school style of boxing. If you want to see it in action, watch their fights closely. As i said before, Old school boxing as a boxing system and style focuses on positioning, footworks, hit and not get hit among other things that may get left out in modern boxing. All of those things exhibits very well in those two. There's a reason why a lot of people call both of them throwback fighters, as their styles have a distinctively old school influences. Just because they use modern 8oz gloves and fight in a well-lit ring under HBO PPV banner doesn't make their style of fighting any more modern.

Also, peanut, we have touched on this. And i already make it very clear that it is about adaptation, modification and refinement of the knowledges to the environment. I don't think anyone who advocates old school teaching here have actually said "let's use full boxing stance for this" because that would be assinine. A lot of the things i said here are more conceptual-wise than you might think. Also, there are evidences in the thread with that the weight back, slightly bladed stance that is very similar to what old school boxing stance is can work well in a muay thai context. There is also this kind of stance in karate as well (Machida is a prime example of this). So at least there's something that can be parallel between the 3 arts different stand up arts. While true, different arts have different strategies and approaches, that doesn't means that you cannot learn from other arts' concept and strategies to adapt to your own either. If it is truly the case like you said, there's no reason for Nakmuay to cross train in boxing because....well, there are hands attack in muay thai, so why do they train in boxing anyway to waste their time.

here ,, ill do it for you

jack johnson video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

floyd jr video

i dont see anything remotely close in style between the 2 and heaven forbid jack johnson ran into mike tyson

you have totally missed my point anyways ,and it has nothing to do about boxing .
there is only one way for you to learn anything , try it for yourself , good luck in your future training , i really do wish you the best

Last edited:
"It doesn't take much to recognize an idiot." Just look at their inability to spell plural words properly despite being PMed about how they should correct it.

love me some decent defensive "footworks"

And this is related to the topic at hand because.....? English isn't my strong suit, but to use it as a sort of an ad hominem attack is a very low move.

here ,, ill do it for you

jack johnson video

floyd jr video

i dont see anything remotely close in style between the 2 and heaven forbid jack johnson ran into mike tyson

....Geezus, tell me which part did i said that Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather fought EXACTLY like the old school guys. I only said a lot of their styles and teachings can be trace back or influences by old school boxing.

Please read carefully.....

You know, let's just agree to disagree on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back