• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Applying "old school" Boxing to Muay Thai

He may be on a cell phone, which often decides on commas even if you're trying to type a period, or a space.

Eh, i'm on my phone all the time and it never does something like that
See?

Mine does. But you're in no position to speak...English.

to "disipulus "

dont take my remarks as snide or condescending , i dont intend them to be that way , i seriously found your fighter pick contrary to what you guys were prescribing as funny ... friend

jammimg is tactic and very usefull, it is cutting off the length of the attack , getting inside of the kick and countering the strike before it fully extends , and is commonly used by short people against tall people

it is the whole principle of what that old muay thai fighter was doing , he squared off his stance as to get his opponent closer to him ,when his opponent threw his kick he stepped into it with a punch , which made his opponent not kick as much .
fyi --- there were only about 5 jabs thrown that whole fight by either fighter , and having your head off centre makes in harder to throw kicks ,

to "disipulus "

dont take my remarks as snide or condescending , i dont intend them to be that way , i seriously found your fighter pick contrary to what you guys were prescribing as funny ... friend

jammimg is tactic and very usefull, it is cutting off the length of the attack , getting inside of the kick and countering the strike before it fully extends , and is commonly used by short people against tall people

it is the whole principle of what that old muay thai fighter was doing , he squared off his stance as to get his opponent closer to him ,when his opponent threw his kick he stepped into it with a punch , which made his opponent not kick as much .
fyi --- there were only about 5 jabs thrown that whole fight by either fighter , and having your head off centre makes in harder to throw kicks ,

You keep mentioning the jab. The reason I suggested Saenchai and Sam-A is because of the fact that, even without frequent jabs, they work into power attacks off of the teep, which really serves the same purpose as a good jab. And I don't see how Vicharnnoi was squaring himself with his opponent. Far from it, in fact.

And the things that Saenchai and Sam-A do can just as easily be done from a back-weighted, straight-backed stance. Kicking from my stance isn't hard either. Just takes practice. That's what the gym is for.

Edit: And like I said, I wasn't offended or anything. As you might be able to tell, I quite enjoy arguing, and counter-arguments are a crucial part of every good discussion, no matter how snide. :wink:

lmfao ,,

16 pages of the benifits of "old school boxing " and then you post videos of sam-A and saenchai ,, whose style is nothing like you have been trying to explain as "old school" note the head leaning forward , note the deeper stance , note the hand placement ,,,

oh boy , maybe tried and true new muay thai , that has been practiced for a couple centuries does work ,,, hmmmmm

hey ts

this is the best advice you are going to get ... learn a system that works for you , a stance is only the beginning , learn some attacks and counters ... people dont back down from a stance alone .. personally a close stance for short guys means you are going to get run over and picked apart because of the range , be mobile and learn the art of jamming an opponent and doing damage from the inside ,, like mike tyson

I was going to say the say the same .

Having banged away for 5 rounds with Saenchai (and gettin stopped twice in the last round) , I can safely say that his style is as far away from " old school " as it gets.

He's more of a RJJ kind of guy who gets by on a freakish sense of timing and distance.

Oh ftr , the thing that most stood about him was how hard that bastard can punch !

At no point did I indicate that Saenchai was an "old school" fighter. TS asked for shorter fighters that he could study, and I posted two of the best that I know, who both use tactics that are great for short guys.

I don't doubt that Saenchai is an incredible athlete, and he does lots of stuff on speed and talent alone. It's pretty damn cool that you got to spar with him, though. Did you have him for a seminar or something?

Here's the difference between then and now. In a lot of the older days, there were more athletic programs that included boxing. So say if you went to the New York athletic club in the early 1900's, chances are there were more than one very proficient trainers available. They had more places to work once they weren't so active as fighters. Nowadays that's a lot more scarce. Most of the trainers here, even the very very well-educated ones have day jobs or night jobs. So less students get exposed to them despite the Professional ones being able to make more money. An odd paradox financially. Less work, but more money potentially. And yes, there are very very highly regarded trainers who are merely average, or even below. Because they had ONE very very good fighter. Alton Merkerson (Roy Jones Jr.'s trainer) is an example, so is Jack Lowe, Kelly Pavlik's former trainer.

well, i think it certainly makes some sense that here in the u.s., at least recently, there has been a shift a bit away from boxing gyms. from the 90s through today you have boxercise and cardio kickboxing, etc, as well as mma as actual competition for people who want to work out and feel like they are getting tougher. really good boxers also make alot of money which lessens the motivation to train others after their career is over (although that's kinda always been true to some extent, as the best trainers generally weren't the top fighters). globally, probably less true, which still results in a top cream of the crop of fighters. i'd suspect there have always been guys who made a name on the success of one fighter.

At no point did I indicate that Saenchai was an "old school" fighter. TS asked for shorter fighters that he could study, and I posted two of the best that I know, who both use tactics that are great for short guys.

I don't doubt that Saenchai is an incredible athlete, and he does lots of stuff on speed and talent alone. It's pretty damn cool that you got to spar with him, though. Did you have him for a seminar or something?

Nah , we just happened to be training at the same gym for a bit.
The gym owner set up a lil session between us.
Laced us up , all the students and trainers lined up to watch.
Guy was the most famous guy I'd been in the ring so of course I had to hit him hard plus he's got a bit of a mean streak when sparring foreign fighters (not with beginners though) so I thought it best to get the niceties out of the way from the get go.

:icon_lol:

There is no way I would ever step into the ring with Saenchai and think "Now I've got to hit him hard off the bat." Hah! I've noticed from videos that he does seem to like humiliating sparring partners a little bit. That seems to be a common trait with easygoing Thai fighters, though. I guess it comes from some culture-wide sense of humor--they just like to fuck with people.

Saenchai's different than most Thais.

Those vids online are generally him at seminars or paid sessions with beginner level guys.
He's (obviously) more well behaved then......so take it from there.

That's ok though.
You need that bit of a mean streak as a competitive fighter.
He's not an out n out dick though.
He's alright.....just that he has a bit of a mean streak in the ring.

Ain't nuthin wrong with that , in my book.

I agree. Like he wants everyone to know he's beating you. He wouldn't be half as impressive if he didn't have that in his personality.

Back