• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apparently Gokhan Saki fought in the UFC??

Because behind only Semmy Schilt (and debatably Alex Pereira), he's the most decorated kickboxer who ever fought in the UFC?

Man Semmy Schilt fighting in the UFC is also so weird to me.
Maurice Smith should be included. 3x champion in ISKA and WKA and had 77 matches.

He fought (and lost) to Khalil Rountree on the main card UFC 226.

Why didn't I know this

He never pops up in the "greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions where people regularly mention Art Jimmerson and Maurice Smith

I reckon that fight really showed how much some kickboxers rely on the big gloves for defence, Khalil got through his hands nicely. Also showed how much Rountree's striking has come along, that dude is lethal on the feet now.

Khalil Rountree Junior KOed Gokhan Saki at UFC 226 – @hooligan1835 on Tumblr
Would have ko'd most people

I reckon that fight really showed how much some kickboxers rely on the big gloves for defence, Khalil got through his hands nicely. Also showed how much Rountree's striking has come along, that dude is lethal on the feet now.
In some ways, you can see that in Overeem too. When he gets stunned, his hands go up like he is wearing the big gloves.

He fought (and lost) to Khalil Rountree on the main card UFC 226.

Why didn't I know this

He never pops up in the "greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions where people regularly mention Art Jimmerson and Maurice Smith
dude looking at the threads you make. you either just started following mma last year or are a complete fucking noob.

TS: He never pops up in the "greatest UFC strikers of all time" discussions
I'd like to think he clarified what he meant when he said
Because behind only Semmy Schilt (and debatably Alex Pereira), he's the most decorated kickboxer who ever fought in the UFC?
just like the most decorated boxer is james toney, but did you see him against randy?

Man Semmy Schilt fighting in the UFC is also so weird to me.
Do Overoid, Cro Cop, Kongo, Valentina and Izzy not count?

Since when is Rountree some bum striker? He trained in Thailand and has tons of KOs in UFC
He isn't a high level, decorated striker, he's a good MMA striker. I was just pointing out why Saki, who's kickboxing experience is absolutely enormous, wasn't touted as highly as Alex is currently being touted, or Jimmerson Maurice Smith as TS mentioned.
When he got KO'd by Rountree, that stopped all his momentum and he left MMA shortly afterwards.

Saki was consistently posting about making a UFC comeback for a few years after that Rountree fight but kind of faded away

Back