Anyway to Practice Boxing at home?

Shadow boxing, bag work, pad work if you find a reliable partner. Theres a english guy on youtube called 'fran sans' who has sone great videos on setting up the stance and how to throw punches correctly. Search for myboxingcoach on youtube and youll find him. Good luck.

Thanks for putting me on to this one! i like how this guys explains things and shows you proper form from multiple angles he really stresses the importance of form and the reasoning behind it.

I was being sarcastic lol. While it may not be most important, it certainly ranks among the top 3 fundamentals, there was not one fighter in history of boxing that I know of that has won matches without keeping his hands up. Sure at some instances you drop your hands, but they SHOULD be up all the time, but you don't necessarily have to have them up 100% percent of the time to win.

nah man, Im oldschool, I dont need to put my hands up lol

there was not one fighter in history of boxing that I know of that has won matches without keeping his hands up.

He disagrees!

tttjonesroysuefox.jpg

Punching a bag is a good workout, so if that's the TS motivation (to get a workout) then yeah you can. If your healthy and reasonably athletically inclined you can use "boxing equipment" and get a boxing oriented workout at home with basic instruction (online, book, etc) and without undue risk of injury/etc.

But if you wan't to learn "boxing" from home you'll need to find a boxing coach/trainer and other boxers to go along with that boxing equipment........ Short of that, you can't learn how to box at home, all you can learn is to use boxing equipment to exercise.

Nah its not just about the workout, I want to learn to improve my technique and learn to properly throw a variety of punches with proper form. i just like improving and working on things in a way thats hard to explain, and i figure self taught is better than no taught, but im not trying to become some Street fighter Boxing pro wannabe. Hard to explain my motivation exactly, im captivated by the science of the sport.

Yes, you can easily practice boxing at home. but learning to box at home is something entirely different. Very different and not practical. You need a coach to teach and correct you, you dont want to develop bad habits.

If your really pressed for time, why not just go the gym once a week and get the information you need and just train that over and over again on you own time. but dont do anything that your coach hasnt approved. With some time, that could produce some good results.

Yes, you can easily practice boxing at home. but learning to box at home is something entirely different. Very different and not practical. You need a coach to teach and correct you, you dont want to develop bad habits.

If your really pressed for time, why not just go the gym once a week and get the information you need and just train that over and over again on you own time. but dont do anything that your coach hasnt approved. With some time, that could produce some good results.

Im considering this down the road but as of now its out of the question. I'll have to have some gear at home to train to do that anyway so i'll start at home for now and go very slow focusing on form. im not one to walk into the place and say ive already learned this and that, when i finally do get around to getting some coaching ill start from the ground up.

well, you can... You can watch boxing videos on youtube and learn from them...however, you might have some mistakes that won't be fixed like from an actual trainer..

Nah its not just about the workout, I want to learn to improve my technique and learn to properly throw a variety of punches with proper form. i just like improving and working on things in a way thats hard to explain, and i figure self taught is better than no taught, but im not trying to become some Street fighter Boxing pro wannabe. Hard to explain my motivation exactly, im captivated by the science of the sport.

Now, I do think that you can learn to throw a variety of punches with good technique and proper form training at home. If you utilize the right sources (videos, blogs, books, etc) then that's not something that couldn't be self taught reasonably well. Again though, learning "boxing" and learning "proper punching techniques" are two very different things. It'd be like trying to learn downhill mountain biking by taking "spin" classes at your local gym.

well, you can... You can watch boxing videos on youtube and learn from them...however, you might have some mistakes that won't be fixed like from an actual trainer..

Boxing videos aren't trying to punch you!

Now, I do think that you can learn to throw a variety of punches with good technique and proper form training at home. If you utilize the right sources (videos, blogs, books, etc) then that's not something that couldn't be self taught reasonably well. Again though, learning "boxing" and learning "proper punching techniques" are two very different things. It'd be like trying to learn downhill mountain biking by taking "spin" classes at your local gym.

That's a great analogy.

Also what if boxing videos were like 3-d movies? Brb, gonna go make millions off YouTube videos that ARE trying to punch you in the face.

You should pay someone (a good coach or knowledgeable, technical + patient boxer) to come to your house for an hour or so to give private lessons. They can spar light with you and correct your form (sparring will only be done once your form is decent, and then it could be very light, but still decently fast {or slow} ). The rest of the week you work on what they told you and next lesson they fix stuff and refine and add a little more

I think this could work for you. If you don't do any kind of sparring an opponent, you're not going to get the footwork, angles, timing and ability to see a punch coming+not get hit. That's like 98% of boxing that you won't be getting, right there

Good luck!

Good point. Glad to hear refining my technique is a possibility, I will probably end up getting a coach sometime down the road but why sit around in the meantime right?

Back