Anyway to Practice Boxing at home?

hmm good point. I guess at worse i could go slow and just focus on fine tuning what little i learn at home. But yeah it's not to impress anyone or say i do boxing or anything. Just General Fitness and practice. BodyBuilding has taught me that only being able to do a little isnt an excuse to do nothing. Started with only Cardio and pushups, Then a dumbell,then a bench etc.

But for now maybe a bag at home and some youtube videos will have to do.

That will help a lot, but you should record yourself hitting it then watch the recording and take note of what you did wrong. I don't mean recording yourself hitting the bag for an hour, only like 5-10 minutes.

Personally Im on the fence. im more of a "hand up" guy and not a "hands up" guy

That rear hand is very important to keep up at chin level for me. For defence against Jabs and LH's. I will drop it to go to the body or punch from a lower angle but for defensive reasons it it up at chin level.

where as the lead hand is often low or extended or milling around. The lead shoulder does most of the protecting on that side. Except for things like overhands and kicks which need to be dealt with differently.

Not reading all this but if you have a good teacher and gym, then work at home on perfecting certain things in front of a mirror, i.e. bringing your arm straight back after you punch, keeping your chin tucked, doubling up on your hooks, etc. If you only practice at the gym, it's going to take a whole lot longer to get good.

Personally Im on the fence. im more of a "hand up" guy and not a "hands up" guy

That rear hand is very important to keep up at chin level for me. For defence against Jabs and LH's. I will drop it to go to the body or punch from a lower angle but for defensive reasons it it up at chin level.

where as the lead hand is often low or extended or milling around. The lead shoulder does most of the protecting on that side. Except for things like overhands and kicks which need to be dealt with differently.

Both my hands move around a lot, I don't worry too much about where either is unless I'm specifically doing something with that hand. Hand position is the most versatile aspect of the stance. There's the most freedom for movement there, I take advantage of it.

Eh, this forum's been pretty slow recently. Might pick it up a bit

Let me play devil's advocate.

If you don't have a partner to really gauge distance or learn how to slip, making sure you learn to cover up is pretty damn important.

Let me play devil's advocate.

If you don't have a partner to really gauge distance or learn how to slip, making sure you learn to cover up is pretty damn important.

He did say he can get a partner though. And what's worse, hypothetically drilling bad footwork but keeping your hands up, or getting some good footwork down but not focusing on where your hands are? The hands are gonna come down at some point anyway, focuses so much on that habit to say it's the worst thing you can do just means you're gonna end up ignoring the stuff that actually matters.

He did say he can get a partner though. And what's worse, hypothetically drilling bad footwork but keeping your hands up, or getting some good footwork down but not focusing on where your hands are? The hands are gonna come down at some point anyway, focuses so much on that habit to say it's the worst thing you can do just means you're gonna end up ignoring the stuff that actually matters.

Bro, HANDS UP!!

Bro, HANDS UP!!

:) That would make a good T-Shirt

Both my hands move around a lot, I don't worry too much about where either is unless I'm specifically doing something with that hand. Hand position is the most versatile aspect of the stance. There's the most freedom for movement there, I take advantage of it.

Agree.

I think some stress it way too much. like handcuffing themselves and partially blinding them selves with their own damn hans!!!

Its just with the rear hand, if you go against someone who is long and fast and has plethora of jabs. From the super-fast to the shogun type jabs, then I need that rear hand up for sure. If its down too low, it would take time to bring it up to defend.

Using your feet and head movement against every punch isnt really realistic.

Shadow boxing, bag work, pad work if you find a reliable partner. Theres a english guy on youtube called 'fran sans' who has sone great videos on setting up the stance and how to throw punches correctly. Search for myboxingcoach on youtube and youll find him. Good luck.

:) That would make a good T-Shirt

Agree.

I think some stress it way too much. like handcuffing themselves and partially blinding them selves with their own damn hans!!!

Its just with the rear hand, if you go against someone who is long and fast and has plethora of jabs. From the super-fast to the shogun type jabs, then I need that rear hand up for sure. If its down too low, it would take time to bring it up to defend.

Using your feet and head movement against every punch isnt really realistic.

Yea my right hand is used defensively way more than my left. And it doesn't really go below chest level.

Put. Your hands. Up.

Lol you're way too dogmatic about this. Yea the hands should be in a good position most of the time. But everyone's gonna drop them at some point anyway, and there are much more important things to learn.

It's important that should you drop your hands it be through choice and not poor technique.

So drill a good guard so you don't have to use it.

A buddy of mine has little but a solid chin but even that doesn't save him when he gets tagged, he then drops his hands and raises his chin and gets laid out.

I think a good guard drilled in at the beginning to fall back on when your faculties are massively reduced by some good shots is no bad thing.

Yes you can, but you probably won't become a good boxer. Learning curves fluctuates. You will reach certain points where you need a fresh set of eyes. However, analyzing, watching YT videos of drills and breakdowns helps a lot though. Shadow boxing, bagwork.

Also, the old gym I went to I didn't get much technical advice. It was mostly the sparring that I learned from and watching and reading on here and other places online.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3 is pretty good.

I remember that his video was alright as well:

Just watch a lot of footage and video instrucitons. Roach has a few as well and plenty of great pro's, even the elite, has video clips with instructions out there. You have to take into consideration that everyone is different though, so use the tips as pointers. But try to nail the fundamentals. Jab, Cross, Uppercut and Hooks. Basic footwork. A solid guard.

Good luck and have fun. Remember, if you get a partner, start of with light sparring and drilling first.

Yea my right hand is used defensively way more than my left. And it doesn't really go below chest level.

Lol you're way too dogmatic about this. Yea the hands should be in a good position most of the time. But everyone's gonna drop them at some point anyway, and there are much more important things to learn.

I was being sarcastic lol. While it may not be most important, it certainly ranks among the top 3 fundamentals, there was not one fighter in history of boxing that I know of that has won matches without keeping his hands up. Sure at some instances you drop your hands, but they SHOULD be up all the time, but you don't necessarily have to have them up 100% percent of the time to win.

Punching a bag is a good workout, so if that's the TS motivation (to get a workout) then yeah you can. If your healthy and reasonably athletically inclined you can use "boxing equipment" and get a boxing oriented workout at home with basic instruction (online, book, etc) and without undue risk of injury/etc.

But if you wan't to learn "boxing" from home you'll need to find a boxing coach/trainer and other boxers to go along with that boxing equipment........ Short of that, you can't learn how to box at home, all you can learn is to use boxing equipment to exercise.

I was being sarcastic lol. While it may not be most important, it certainly ranks among the top 3 fundamentals, there was not one fighter in history of boxing that I know of that has won matches without keeping his hands up. Sure at some instances you drop your hands, but they SHOULD be up all the time, but you don't necessarily have to have them up 100% percent of the time to win.

Top 3 fundamentals? You're saying it's up there with distance, timing and balance? No, hands up isn't even a fundamental. It's one aspect of positioning, which is a fundamental. Your hands should be in position to do whatever you need them to do at that moment.

Top 3 fundamentals? You're saying it's up there with distance, timing and balance? No, hands up isn't even a fundamental. It's one aspect of positioning, which is a fundamental. Your hands should be in position to do whatever you need them to do at that moment.

Hence you need them to be up.

Back