Anyway to Practice Boxing at home?

Git rekt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
is this possible within reason with a few pieces? or is it a realistically hopeless effort?

I know it sound's dumb but between work, My workout routine, And taking care of my reef tank, i just can't see myself Going to a gym or taking classes or something like that. I workout entirely from home with a Bench, Adjustable dumbells, and a pullup bar. being at home just makes it all easier, no interuptions on your way home to change that could stop you from working out, No competing with people for equipment or dealing with jackass's in general. and you can pretty much work out whenever even if something comes up. Sometimes ill hit my routine at 1am ive been busy all day, its really convenient.Would be great if i can learn a little boxing at home as well without having to go somewhere.

im not trying to be some pro boxer or some douche who's just trying to be a badass. Just something to pick up and polish for fun, im the type who likes to constantly improve my body and lifting is just 1 part of that. Plus it never hurts to know how to defend yourself on top of being a big guy.Any recomend videos or books or anything like that to train alone that anyone could recomend, tips, anything like that would be greatly appreciated.

If you have some money to spend you can get a freestanding punching bag, rubber man or body action system. That plus shadow boxing.

Have you boxed before?

kibas5.jpg

Horse stance

http://www.howtofightnow.com

this stuff is pretty decent for beginners. i think sinister also has some training videos that will help with your footwork and movement. it may be stickied??

get a heavy bag, some gloves and a few mirrors.

That's like trying to learn chess without a partner.

check out JT Van V and Boxing Fitness Factory on youtube, both good channels that give you good tips on boxing. You can always do drills and shadow box on your own. Every time you get up from your chair, or you are waiting around in down time, run through some drills instead of just standing around

This could be possible if you had a partner to train with. I'd recommend purchasing a heavy bag, speed bag, and mirrors.

Damn thanks for all the great responses guys. I honestly thought i'd catch alot of flak for Starting this thread and get troll responses but theres alot of info for me to take in.

I've never Boxed as in Actually practiced before but i've put on some boxing gloves and thrown punches with a partner. I'm sure i can convince someone in my lifting crew to practice with me, so it doesnt have to be 100% alone. The alone thing was just more for working on punching techniques, Stance Etc.

I know without someone to critique me i could pick up bad habits that wont be corrected and a plethora of other issues but like i said im not trying to be a fighter. Just like fitness and knowledge in general And practicing something like boxing never hurts. If i got so into that i felt concerned With perfecting that stuff id suck it up and go to a gym.

Im liking the Shadow sparring because i can do it inbetween Set's on workout days

Damn thanks for all the great responses guys. I honestly thought i'd catch alot of flak for Starting this thread and get troll responses but theres alot of info for me to take in.

I've never Boxed as in Actually practiced before but i've put on some boxing gloves and thrown punches with a partner. I'm sure i can convince someone in my lifting crew to practice with me, so it doesnt have to be 100% alone. The alone thing was just more for working on punching techniques, Stance Etc.

I know without someone to critique me i could pick up bad habits that wont be corrected and a plethora of other issues but like i said im not trying to be a fighter. Just like fitness and knowledge in general And practicing something like boxing never hurts. If i got so into that i felt concerned With perfecting that stuff id suck it up and go to a gym.

Im liking the Shadow sparring because i can do it inbetween Set's on workout days

Well the worst thing you can do is drop your hands. Always keep the other hand up while punching. Protect yourslf at all times.

Good luck with your training though, search youtube for instructional videos.

Well the worst thing you can do is drop your hands. Always keep the other hand up while punching. Protect yourslf at all times.

Good luck with your training though, search youtube for instructional videos.

Really? The worst thing?

You can get a heavy bag, reflex bag, shadow box. Whatever you want. But don't do that and even think of saying you train in boxing. Watching all the online stuff is okay, but only to supplement your gym training already. I work out at home (still do), tried the boxing from home route, learned that nothing beats having another sharp set of eyes criticizing and improving what you are doing. Once you are guided properly, then you can do the repetitions and sharpen those skills in front of a mirror at home.

Basically you are asking if you should be a guy with a heavy bag in his basement. If that is all, go for it. As long as you are okay with okay results. Best of luck!

you can definitely practice at home, but as everyone has said - you really need to get into a proper boxing gym and train with others to learn the right way.

Even if you can only go one night a week or whatever, do that - then spend your other time at home practicing what you've learnt.

Well, training at home is easy. All you need is some space. If you want to get some equipment than hit up your local Walmart they usually have an everlast bag with wraps and gloves for like 60-70 bux. You can learn a lot of stuff on your own the only problem is that without proper training your going to develop bad habits and improper technique. Like most would say for any real understanding of boxing and fighting a gym would probably be the best way to go

HOWEVER... I have come across a couple of people in my years who were fully self trained at home and they have done some great things. On the other hand I have seen people say they have been basement training for 6+ years and they don't know how to keep their hands up....

you can definitely practice at home, but as everyone has said - you really need to get into a proper boxing gym and train with others to learn the right way.

Even if you can only go one night a week or whatever, do that - then spend your other time at home practicing what you've learnt.

hmm good point. I guess at worse i could go slow and just focus on fine tuning what little i learn at home. But yeah it's not to impress anyone or say i do boxing or anything. Just General Fitness and practice. BodyBuilding has taught me that only being able to do a little isnt an excuse to do nothing. Started with only Cardio and pushups, Then a dumbell,then a bench etc.

But for now maybe a bag at home and some youtube videos will have to do.

Really? The worst thing?
Apparently it's cool to throw strikes that you aren't in range to actually land and/or just not use set-ups... so long as you keep your wrists posted to your temples.

Back