Anyone Remember the NHL Clint Malarchuk Accident?

wonderbread

Stiff Member
Banned
Reaction score
I was just out of High School and my father took me to a Sabres game when they were playing the Blues...We had seats behind and to the right of the goal... One of the most messed up things I have seen as a teen.

Holy shit you were there when that happened!?!? That's legit one of the scariest things to ever happen in sports...the amount of blood gushing out is unreal.

Holy shit you were there when that happened!?!? That's legit one of the scariest things to ever happen in sports...the amount of blood gushing out is unreal.
Behind the goal to the left about 8 seats up...

Yeah, that was crazy, would've been terrifying seeing that as a kid

I had heard he tried to commit suicide twice after that. One time he shot himself but the bullet ricocheted off his molars and tore some of his tongue off, then embedded in his sinus

This guy has had somebody bad luck I believe he accidentally shot himself like ten years ago.... he survives that also

This guy has had somebody bad luck I believe he accidentally shot himself like ten years ago.... he survives that also
Yeah - some say it was a accident and some say it was a suicide attempt.

I do remember when Richard Zednik got a blade to the throat. I was to young when Malarchuck got it.

remember? shit, i was like....
lol.gif

but seriously, that was some disturbing shit to watch the first time around. i thought i was going to watch someone bleed out on the ice.

Ironic how the Sabres were involved in both Malarchuk and Zednik accidents. A bladed weapon.

Thankfully the team trainer was an army medic from Vietnam and know how to handle it. He could have died on the ice.

Malarchuk's life was saved due to quick action by the team's athletic trainer, Jim Pizzutelli, a former Army medic who served in Vietnam. He gripped Malarchuk's neck and pinched off the blood vessel, not letting go until doctors arrived to begin stabilizing the wound. The team doctor led the pair off the ice then applied extreme pressure by kneeling on his collarbone—a procedure designed to produce a low breathing rate and low metabolic state, which is preferable to exsanguination. Previous reports have suggested doctors worked for hours to save Malarchuk's life, however this is an overestimate. He was conscious and talking on the way to the hospital. (He jokingly asked paramedics if they could bring him back in time for the third period [1]). The game resumed when league personnel received word that the player was in stable condition.[6]

Had a chance to meet Clint last year

He goes around doing motivational speeches now

Yeah, I remember that. Was fucking brutal.

Here was the craziest, umm...greatest thing I saw live at a hockey game.

Probably the worst injury/accident I have ever seen in pro sports. I watched a clip of it the day it happened; I've made a point not to view it again ever since.

And no, I didn't watch the embedded clip.

What was the fucked up part was Malarchuk had serious OCD and he couldn't get over the incident because of it.

He admits later that he did try and kill himself after Zednick incident cause his OCD kicked right back in and made him think terrible thoughts.

Back