Anyone practice Shotokan karate?

King Kabuki said:
Finally, intellgence regarding Shotokan (barring the posters in here who read this and knew I didn't mean them as un-intelligent for sure), and from a White Belt no-less.

*applauds*

And all you "Karate Sucks" pundits, I hope some little Okinawan dude chops your face in-half. lol
I might be a white belt but that doesn't take away what I know or my intelligence
karate is a solid base, some dojo's even prepare you for real fighting but it all depend
and I've done karate myself : kata's are good for style and learning coordination but it doesn't make you a fighter and that's what most people mean, no disrespect to karate but for example muay thai is overall better for fighting because you will spend more time on fighting OVERALL
but yes indeed Okinawa karateka's are creazy!!breaking baseballbats with the shin, with the arm on their ribs what the fuck :eek:

I spent a few years in Karate as a kid. Good base, lots of power, but you pick up a lot of bad habits.

i think the kicks are useful in mma. and also the backfists and whatnot.

To answer Kabukis question, here, in America.

my old teacher was a black belt under Hidy Ochiai.......we did not get along. I didnt have a very good karate experience.

Just as I thought. Not all Karate sucks bro. I've seen some Okinawan Goju Ryu guys doing CRAZY shit for conditioning that most MMA kids these days wouldn't touch with someone else's body, or one of those mech-suits from them cooky animes everyone watches.

Of that I am aware....my BJJ and MMA coach, his roots are Goju...he has trained in the past with guys like Oyata, and his old sensei was a charter board member of the USBBA....I also train with a guy whos background is in Goju, and he is very well conditioned.

alot of that stuff, as my coach admits, is just rediculous and in many cases stupid, to do to your body.

Well, I don't take anyone from this generation's opinion over thousand-plus-year proven methods of body strengthening. It's not for everyone, true, but I find most of the people who "don't recommend it" are simply people who don't have the fortitude to endure it.

When you see guys like this in-action, their unreasonable exercises have nothing to do with sport competition and making money, and everything to do with elevation, passing on knowledge, preserving cultural history, and of course, being able to kill a mufucka with your big-toe. Literally.

well my bjj/mma coach is not some young punk....he is pushing 50....and hes been doin martial arts longer than Ive been alive (Ill be 25 next week).....he says now, in his old age, upon retrospect, he and all the guys from the old ryu couldve relaxed quite a bit on a lot of the stuff they did....this was coming from a guy who DID the shit, every day, for over twenty years.....he has a laundry list of injuries over the years, and his sensei....forget about it, Im amazed that guy is still alive.

the point is, you want to smack yourself over and over in the crotch with a wooden paddle, and beat sandbags bare knuckle untill youre bones calcify and fuse together, tear ligaments, and wake up the next morning and throw kicks like it doesnt matter, thats your own business....but dont expect to consider yourself "healthy" when youre an old man.

Why not? There's plenty of guys who have and are still practicing into their 70's and 80's. Your Coach aside. He's just one guy. I've met and seen (without meeting) quite a few men who have traveled a similar path and are not the worse for wear.

you cannot abuse your body and expect not to have problems. Thats all I really have to say about it.

I just think that not all of those things are inside the scope of abuse. There's always very particular methods of doing certain things. I mentioned a Tae Kwon Do instructor named Tan Tao Liang who forced his student John Liu into the splits. Many people would consider that abuse. Turned out when John healed up (because the body does heal and have a certain scope of regenerative ability) he could stretch and kick to rival his teacher. I posted pictures of the two of them in another thread somewhere around here as well.

None of these men do what they do stupidly.

Ouch, forced splits? omfg, I bet that took a while to heal.

King Kabuki said:

What the fuck? And you say that's a good thing?He could have built up to a complete split in like 2 months or less, and been trainign all along. Instead, he wasted 2 years healing.

As my name would imply I am a Shotokan karateka. At least, I still consider myself one even though I do not train for belts and I do not train kata anymore. My instructor has shifted me to a more MMA/Kickboxing style of training so we borrow a lot of things from Muay Thai and Boxing (and crosstraining at a BJJ gym) to make up for the lack of techniques in our traditional arsenal.

So whether it's still considered "Shotokan" or not doesn't really matter to me, because it's where I got my start and I will always consider myself as a karateka.

Edit: Also, for any Shotokan stylists who happen to have an interest in the history of the style, check out "Shotokan's Secrets" which is a very interesting book about how the style (and the other 3 Okinawan styles) were not created as ameans to fight the Samurai unarmed, but as a way for bodyguards to protect their king in a time when weapons were outlawed.

urapean said:
i think the kicks are useful in mma. and also the backfists and whatnot.
Spinning back kicks are also being used a little bit more in MMA.

What the fuck? And you say that's a good thing?He could have built up to a complete split in like 2 months or less, and been trainign all along. Instead, he wasted 2 years healing.

Well he went on to defeat Chuck Norris in an open competition and star in multiple Martial Arts films, becoming World-renowned for his kicking ability, people saying it seemed as if his legs were held together by rubber-bands.

So yes, it was a good thing, and no, he did not "waste" 2 years.

Metafour said:
Spinning back kicks are also being used a little bit more in MMA.

shit man its not gonna be long till strikers get confident enough to start throwing spinning wheel kicks standing up.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
shit man its not gonna be long till strikers get confident enough to start throwing spinning wheel kicks standing up.

Heh heh...

Or how about a tornado kick in a grand prix title fight! Nah, never would happen. No one would have *that* much balls!!!

:D

I'm still amazed by it....

You're the one who is a fan of Fedor's unorthodox training, right? Have you seen the latest highlight? Hitting a tire with a sledgehammer. Working out in the middle of a playground in his town.

Man...that stuff is amazing. I showed it to the wife and now she says, "Great. Why don't you get rid of that stupid pullup bar you use. If going down to the playground is good enough for a world champion it is good enough for you..."

aaron_mag said:
Heh heh...

Or how about a tornado kick in a grand prix title fight! Nah, never would happen. No one would have *that* much balls!!!

:D

I'm still amazed by it....

You're the one who is a fan of Fedor's unorthodox training, right? Have you seen the latest highlight? Hitting a tire with a sledgehammer. Working out in the middle of a playground in his town.

Man...that stuff is amazing. I showed it to the wife and now she says, "Great. Why don't you get rid of that stupid pullup bar you use. If going down to the playground is good enough for a world champion it is good enough for you..."
Tell your wife she doesn't know what war it was for Fedor do get rid of those little kids who used to hang out at the playground.

Back