Anyone practice Shotokan karate?

Kyryllo said:
Tell your wife she doesn't know what war it was for Fedor do get rid of those little kids who used to hang out at the playground.

Bwaaahhahahahahahahhaa!!!

Dude. You've got it! That is the reason he can move so fast for such a big guy. Chasing those little kids underneath the jungle gym will give you insane reflexes.

You've found Fedor's secret...

no I havent seen that...working out in a playground huh?.....doing what exactly?

I have dial up so I cant download stuff unless I want to take a couple hours out of my day to do so.

I was going to rehost it here, but you've got dial up, so it won't help.

Some of his workouts at the playground included:

Pullups.
'Shadow boxing' in the sand pit.
Doing some weird thing with the teeter tooter (who knows what, it was too short a clip)
Hitting a rubber tire with a sledgehammer.

King Kabuki said:
When you see guys like this in-action, their unreasonable exercises have nothing to do with sport competition and making money, and everything to do with elevation, passing on knowledge, preserving cultural history, and of course, being able to kill a mufucka with your big-toe. Literally.

This made me laugh. I think I have found my new sig. :D

Hey man, I saw a Karate-ka in Okinawa break a stack of pine-board with his big toe, no shit. His big toe looked like a damn drill-bit, too.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
shit man its not gonna be long till strikers get confident enough to start throwing spinning wheel kicks standing up.
Speaking of that I saw someone throw one to Alistair Overeem's head in an older Pride and it almost KO'ed him.

Kyokushin is the hardest karate out there, you can leg kick, full conact to the body, you got bag work, target mits, and lots of sparring.

I did shotokan for 6 months and to be honest the 2 point sparring is crap, and it has gotten even worst, there are now intense kata sessions, a guy at my job is blue belt and he showed me is competition sparring on video its a real joke, he got disqualified cause he it the guy to hard on the body.

The school close 6 months after and i still wanted to learn so i went to another school not knowing what the difference, i tought that karate was karate boy was i wrong.

Kyokushin is still a cut above all karate forms a matter a fact i might get back into it by January of this year.

Kyokushin is still a cut above all karate forms a matter a fact

This is not a matter-of-fact. This is subject to area discrimination, meaning in certain places certain forms of Karate ar bastardized ghosts of the original valid Arts at-best. Leave us not confuse this.

SteveSmith said:
It's fun. I am currently a green belt, which is not very high, but not that bad either. Our teacher is quite good and seems to be serious about belts. Is karate good in MMA?

Anyone else practice it? So far I mastered the Heian Shodan, Heian Nidan and Heian Sondan. I am currently learning the Hein Yodan.

Did shotokan from the age of 8 to 13, made it to 1st Kyu, i.e. brown with two tags, the next being black.

Sensei Asano used to come from Japan to grade us.

But girls, and not having T Shirt muscles became an issue, (you know how it goes), so I started hitting the weights.

Got back into martial arts 10 years later...not Shotokan, but Kung Fu, Kick Boxing and Boxing.

IMO Shotokan is great for children, and adults who more interested in the art rather than the practicality of fighting, (and conditioning, health etc).

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
the point is, you want to smack yourself over and over in the crotch with a wooden paddle.

Hell Yeah, thats my favourite exercise!

Throatyogurt said:
WHAT happens if you get tackeld ?

what happens if you get tackled doing anything??

the initial point is that as the line blurs between striker and grappler, youre going to see people get more confident in thier stand up......if you throw a kick and you miss, or you get taken down, so what? you know how to grapple.

Cal State Long Beach has a large Shotokan Karate Club. When I was approached about joining, I got the impression that the majority of the karateka's at CSULB don't take their training as serious as their self-promotion. They would talk a lot about tradition, the three-belt-only system, and how other martial art styles encourage injury from their inappropriate techniques. I didn't watch much of the demostration, but in my opinion, most of the karateka's basic blocking, punching, and kicking didn't display much finesse or effectiveness. But like Evolution1 said, I think that Shotokan Karate seems good for people who more interested in the discipline than the practicality of actually knowing how to fight, even though some of them swear that Shotokan destroys all.

I am thinking about leaving karate for other activities. Hovewer, I have several friends in the class. I could go in another discipline, but I don't really like all the jocks.

I think that it is all based on the instructor. I started off in american kenpo style and took it for about 5 years, but i was like 8 when i started, so i didnt know any better. The instructor was a shit, but this new guy came around when i was about to quit. He was teaching traditional Japanese style Shotokan and I just htought it was great. He really got me back into martial arts and eventually into MMA. I know everybody says kata is pointless and for the most part, it is. We always really focused on sparring though, full contact with knees, throws, follow up strikes and stomps on the ground, everything. After that, i was always surprised to hear people saying stuff like shotokan sucks, its just point sparring, stuff like that. Like other people already said, i agree, it depends on your teacher. I mean i really learned how to take a hit, always be really agressive, go for knockout all that. We fought in rounds too, like three minutes so i don't know who's training just point fighting with Shotokan. That sounds pretty bogus to me.
Another thing, like someone else already said, they consider themself always a Karate-Ka. I think if you get to train real Shotokan, you can see what its all about.

I remember a 3rd Dan guy in Shotokan Karate watched me as I gave a heavy bag about 20 punches, the shock on his face said it all. He tried to give the bag some damage and could barely move it. I think this clearly gave him food for thought as he thought about what to do if those type of puches ever came his way.

the kata's when done right is really nice to watch. IMO.

Amazing,the shotokan practiced here in Brazil is not like the described by people living in other places.
in the 70's there used to be interstyle challenges between gyms in S

Shakaka said:
Amazing,the shotokan practiced here in Brazil is not like the described by people living in other places.
in the 70's there used to be interstyle challenges between gyms in S

it depends on what you want to do.

karate in general is very powerful in "real self-defense" situations.
you are taught to fight with no rules and go for anything

mma is definetly effective though especially because you do a lot of fighting but the sport aspect makes you react slower in some situations.

grappeling is very effective too.

most on these boards haven't done enough Karate or TMA to fully understand what a kata means.

it is like a filing cabinet where you can store different techniques.

I know for all the hard-core mma'ists out there this is gonna sound like some confusious shit but it isn't

if you stick with it long enough you start to learn combinations and techniques in your kata that can be utilized in combat situations.

i have done several stand-up TMA and some grappeling, so i understand some things.

MMA training is still really good. Most people think it is funner without the extreme seriousness in it that most TMA(traditional martial arts) schools have.

if you can i would reccomend doing a MMA or Grappaling or even a Boxing/Muay Thai class alongside your shotokan but if you can't then it is your choice.

my style of karate works really well for me because it encompasses all aspects of fighting. We do alot of sparring, a ton of judo emphasis for each rank b/c of its usefullnes in the clinch. we do a ton of juijitsu techniques for our self-defense portion and we do a good deal of grappeling.

If i wasn't in the style i am in now, then i would definitly stop right then and do someting more practical.

so in my opinion to answer your question if your shotokan style doesn't have anything besides kata and some other junk than drop it, but if you'll do other stuff such as grappaling and frequent sparring sessions then keep at it and have fun

ask your instructor what is done at the advanced classes.

but whatever you choose to do keep at it.

Back