Anyone honestly have an answer?

MilesAbove

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Why Gus took down Jones twice and Cormier couldnt more than one pointless "slam"? It's astounding to me.

Jones had zero idea what he was walking into with Gus. Jones was more prepared for this fight as we all saw. Gus took him by surprise, and tbh, this fight makes me believe a fight with Gus will be very different. Hope that answers your question meng.

I can only remember Gustaffson doing it once and Jones lost his footing.

But Cormier clearly wasn't going for takedowns in those first 3 rounds. His gameplan was to dirty box him.

Its a different fight? Jones trained extra hard not to be taken down and moat of cormiers attempts were late in the fight when he gassed? And how was the slam pointless? He couldve maybe did something with that if he had been slick enough to follow up on it before jones got back to his feet

It can't be the only reason. Cormier has taken down plenty of taller opponents.

what if he meant Jones doesn't get taken down as easily by smaller guys?

Jones expected and prepared for Cormier's takedowns

He didn't expect Gustafsson to go for the takedown

Cormier was gassed. Gassed fighters suck at wrestling. Size is really important when fighters are gassed, too.

Gus got Jones down once and it was all about timing and surprise. Jones' wrestling was on point and he clearly did his homework on when to expect Cormier's attempts and how to defend them when they were coming. I thought Cormier would have more success taking Jones down, but I never thought it very likely that Cormier would take him down with any regularity and hold him there.

Jones had zero idea what he was walking into with Gus. Jones was more prepared for this fight as we all saw. Gus took him by surprise, and tbh, this fight makes me believe a fight with Gus will be very different. Hope that answers your question meng.

i think the opposite.

jones striking in this didn't impress too much. And he also reaffirmed his lack of power.

gus kos him in the 2nd or 3rd when he commits to a power combo, after having already won the first round on points.

Same height/reach.

Gus was a boxer...Jones is...well friggen JONES.
Jones BARELY took down GUS, when he got hit by a hellbow and was gassed for 4 rounds.

Thats the damn truth, jones ball lickers dont like admiting.

watching the UFC for years we all know that strikers facing elite wrestlers 9/10 its a floor mopping.

Jones when faced with a guy his height/reach suddenly hes not an elite wrestler?

PLEASE

I disagree. Jones has a ton of training partners of similar build to DC, whereas to emulate Gustafsson, all hes got is Travis Browne... Who has literally nothing in common with him except build.

Gustafsson has the same advantage with the experience he gained from the first fight.

And this may be an unpopular opinion... But i think Jones isnt as good as he was 2-3 years ago. Hes a totally different, more predictable fighter now and im not sure if he can make any huge overnight improvements. He pretty much is what he is at this point.

Gustafsson, by comparison, still seems to be improving... Plus his big toe isnt held together with super glue.

There could be a lot of factors that played into it.

JBJ is an extremely strong guy for his weight. JBJ has tremendous TD defense compared to other guys. DC might have let the head game play with him a little before the fight. He might of choked being the main event on the big stage. Also, guys like Barnett/Hendo aren't exactly at the peek of their career that you saw him picking up.

IDK man, it could be a number of different factors.

He got 1 TD. Why is it a surprise? Just like Jones (a worse wrestler on paper) got 3 TDs on DC when nobody else got one. It's not like Gus outwrestled him by a huge margin or something.

Its a different fight? Jones trained extra hard not to be taken down and moat of cormiers attempts were late in the fight when he gassed? And how was the slam pointless? He couldve maybe did something with that if he had been slick enough to follow up on it before jones got back to his feet

1. Completely agree.

2. At this point, I truly believe Jones is becoming the GOAT, not just in terms of his in cage performances, but in his training. He was fully prepared for whatever Cormier had to throw at him, including his threatening wrestling. Cormier trained his ass off for this fight, obviously, as an olympic caliber athlete, not much more you can ask for. Jon is a motherfucking champion, and was able to completely stop any "slick" ness that could have been offered.

Back