Anyone here join the military later in life?

• Thread starter Deleted member 551049
  • Start date
Listen bud, I'm 32 and my hairline is impeccable. I could shave my head tomorrow and have another glorious mane in only a few short years.
You son of a bitch. You're a monster.

Yeah, it's not even a consideration right now. I'm just wondering if it's still a decent option as a backup plan if anything happens.
Don't. Your too old. No offense but at your age you don't want 19 year olds telling you what to do. It's a young man's game in there.

Don't. Your too old. No offense but at your age you don't want 19 year olds telling you what to do. It's a young man's game in there.

This is what I've always thought but my coworker has been telling me otherwise.

Even going in with a bachelor's, I'd be having 19 year olds telling me what to do? Thought the whole starting out as an officer thing negated that.

This is what I've always thought but my coworker has been telling me otherwise.

Even going in with a bachelor's, I'd be having 19 year olds telling me what to do? Thought the whole starting out as an officer thing negated that.
Well..if you start out as an officer yeah. But I think you have to apply for OCS. You would be a DOT" and therefore a E-5 while you spend a few years getting commissioned. Then after that you start as a butterbar 2ndlt and even some Sergeants will be able to tell you what to do depending what MOS you go into.

Having a degree doesn't automatically get you officer rank.

Just tell the recruiter it's both of you or nothing.

cat-diver-mask-snorkel-swimming-260nw-1429704224.jpg
12/10 post

Depends on your mos. but you should be fine as long as you act like someone your age. If you are a 31 year old child tough shit you are going to have a bad time. Everyone is going to hold you at a higher standard because of your age.

And if decide to go the officer route it’s not uncommon to have people doing the same thing at your age.

And some 19 year old kid is not going to ever tell you what to do. There is plenty of kids in the military and they don’t ever tell a grown ass man what to do. As long as you don’t act like a kid don’t worry.

I joined at 25 w/ a college degree

other than being a bit older to do the crazy ruckmarches and stuff, it was totally fine

As someone who went in right out of high school, I wouldn’t think you’d enjoy it as an older person. 18 year old me thought going to Iraq and moving every couple of months was the shit. 33 year old me with a family? Not so much. I guess you could consider the reserves if you’re just looking for a backup plan.

I joined @ 25 bud. 3 years active and finishing up on the Reserve side (I'm in my 30's now.)
I also wasn't the oldest one in the company during basic. There were plenty of guys in their mid 20's and several in their 30's, of course majority was made up of kids right out of high school though.

The whole age thing, depends on which branch and job. If you're going Army/Marine infantry, yea...25+ is going to feel old.

My brothers wife joined in her late 30s. As an officer though. She has a Phd. She hated it.

she should have given him an iPad instead.
Much easier

Back