Anyone here join the military later in life?

• Thread starter Deleted member 551049
  • Start date
Try joining the Air Force. Cut off age is 39 I believe. That would be my obvious first pick.

My brothers wife joined in her late 30s. As an officer though. She has a Phd. She hated it.
And what didn’t she like about what she was doing? I’m asking because I’m considering commissioning once i finish my PhD.

What’d she do, if you don’t mind me asking?

And what didn’t she like about what she was doing? I’m asking because I’m considering commissioning once i finish my PhD.

Psychologist. I dont really know the specifics of what she didnt like i just know she tried (unsuccessfully) to get out of it early. She also got deployed on a medical ship to Venezuela during the crisis over there. I dont think she was happy about that either. Oh i remember her being really mad that she had to report where she would go on vacations.

Psychologist. I dont really know the specifics of what she didnt like i just know she tried (unsuccessfully) to get out of it early. She also got deployed on a medical ship to Venezuela during the crisis over there. I dont think she was happy about that either. Oh i remember her being really mad that she had to report where she would go on vacations.
Good to know - I’m getting my PhD in clinical psychology, so I’d be doing the same thing.

You're too old. Turn the page.

Nope. Back in HS, around the early 2000s after 9/11 we had these bozos who would come and try to lie to students saying how great the military is. Especially the navy recruits. They would say “man, we travel the world, go to port towns with hot chicks. And during war, we stay on ship and just launch missiles hundred of miles away. We never see combat.” And even I knew this fools were full of it.

The day my cat passes away I'm gonna probably try to be a SEAL.

I'm 28. I hope my buddy still has 10 years or more in him though. Hes really healthy for his age

Outside of the military, you and I aren't considered to be dinosaurs.

Inside of the military, we would both be considered fossils.

By the way, I'm currently in my 20s.

Last edited:
The benefits are fantastic, but you haven't provided anything to compare them to. What is your current situation?

I work for a growing startup. Company culture is awesome, we work across the street from the beach and I go surfing with my boss. I'm gaining a ton of valuable experience where I'm at and having fun doing it, hence no incentive to do anything else right now but I'm aware that it's a business so my situation depends entirely on how we perform and whether or not we continue to grow.

My boss himself has talked to me about his backup plan if it doesn't work out, so I've tried to think about what I'd do if it didn't. In my perfect world, we keep growing and I never go anywhere else for the rest of my career because this is by far the happiest I've ever been at any job.

As far as benefits, my girl is a teacher and I get hers. Not the best in the world but not a bad situation either, for the time being. This is literally just me looking at potential avenues to go down if the business ended up not working out. Like I said, I hadn't thought about this in years until I started working all the time next to an Army veteran that I get along with very well who constantly talks about missing it and then tells me that I'd like it too. I'm just wondering if he's an anomaly or if it actually is a valid backup plan.

I work for a growing startup. Company culture is awesome, we work across the street from the beach and I go surfing with my boss. I'm gaining a ton of valuable experience where I'm at and having fun doing it, hence no incentive to do anything else right now but I'm aware that it's a business so my situation depends entirely on how we perform and whether or not we continue to grow.

My boss himself has talked to me about his backup plan if it doesn't work out, so I've tried to think about what I'd do if it didn't. In my perfect world, we keep growing and I never go anywhere else for the rest of my career because this is by far the happiest I've ever been at any job.

As far as benefits, my girl is a teacher and I get hers. Not the best in the world but not a bad situation either, for the time being. This is literally just me looking at potential avenues to go down if the business ended up not working out. Like I said, I hadn't thought about this in years until I started working all the time next to an Army veteran that I get along with very well who constantly talks about missing it and then tells me that I'd like it too. I'm just wondering if he's an anomaly or if it actually is a valid backup plan.

I you have a serious relationship and you want it to last, do you want a job where you will be gone a good percentage of time and she is at a place where dudes outnumber women by a great margin? Plus, those dudes are in at least average shape.

I joined when i was 25 and i was considered a freak by a good % of the people. The old man jokes didn't bother me, but there were people that seriously didn't want to hang out w/ me, called me a loser, asked what was wrong w/ me, etc.

Meh, it was still a good decision for me.

With this background.. I think it is a terrible idea.

But who knows? You do you TS.

Sounds like you're living it up as a civilian. I would not recommend joining the military right now.

I you have a serious relationship and you want it to last, do you want a job where you will be gone a good percentage of time and she is at a place where dudes outnumber women by a great margin? Plus, those dudes are in at least average shape.

I joined when i was 25 and i was considered a freak by a good % of the people. The old man jokes didn't bother me, but there were people that seriously didn't want to hang out w/ me, called me a loser, asked what was wrong w/ me, etc.

Meh, it was still a good decision for me.
Seriously, at 25? What branch/ mos were you?

The day my cat passes away I'm gonna probably try to be a SEAL.

I'm 28. I hope my buddy still has 10 years or more in him though. Hes really healthy for his age

Just tell the recruiter it's both of you or nothing.

cat-diver-mask-snorkel-swimming-260nw-1429704224.jpg

Sounds like you're living it up as a civilian. I would not recommend joining the military right now.

Yeah, it's not even a consideration right now. I'm just wondering if it's still a decent option as a backup plan if anything happens.

If by later in life you mean 18, why yes that’s when I entered the military.

Back