Anyone get a lot of crap for dieting?

markulous

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Figured I'd make this here instead of Mayberry since there are more people monitoring their diet...

It seems like anytime I'm out somewhere at a party or anywhere with food, everyone has to put in their two cents about my diet. I stay pretty good on it so if it's not a cheat day I won't drink any beer or eat any of the crap they serve. I tell people about this beforehand and they are the ones inviting me to the party. I'm 6'3" 191, and I just lost 50 lbs. so I seem a lot thinner than I was. My goal weight is 185 so I'm almost there. I'll obviously still eat clean afterwards though. Someone today actually said today I had an eating disorder because I wasn't drinking beer? Who else has to deal with people that are uneducated when it comes to dieting that think they know it all?

when I first started taking supplements and cutting out foods that were unhealthy and working out more, everyone i knew had like no grasp on what the point was. all i got and sometimes still get is "DO YOU EAT ANYTHING GOD!" or "YOU BUYIN ROIDS! HUR HUR HUR"

"You eat that huge steak but not the garlic bread? Ooookay..." :rolleyes:

I recently found what was at the root of this attitude (IMO), while reading a martial arts book of all things.

If you treat a risk seriously (in this case, the risks associated with unhealthy eating and obesity), it makes people who have not been treating that risk seriously become uncomfortable. Because they feel uncomfortable, they ridicule you as a way of reassuring themselves that your concern about the risk is ridiculous. In doing so, they make themselves feel better about going on with their lives without addressing the risk.

For another example, I carry an emergency kit in my car. I have food, water, tools, first aid supplies, and so forth, because I take the risks of breaking down, getting stranded, etc. seriously. Someone who is not similarly prepared would likely call me "paranoid"--by declaring my concerns "irrational," he makes himself feel better about not being prepared.

As another example (this was the original context in the book I was reading), people who do not take steps to protect themselves/their home/their family will ridicule those who do as "paranoid," as if the risks one prepares for in ensuring his and his family's personal protection don't really exist. It makes the unprepared person feel better about his condition of being unprepared.

People are dicks. End of. They're most likely jealous because they see you making positive changes in your life.

I dont really "diet" anymore but 2 years ago? Absolutely, and deserving imo

I recently found what was at the root of this attitude (IMO), while reading a martial arts book of all things.

If you treat a risk seriously (in this case, the risks associated with unhealthy eating and obesity), it makes people who have not been treating that risk seriously become uncomfortable. Because they feel uncomfortable, they ridicule you as a way of reassuring themselves that your concern about the risk is ridiculous. In doing so, they make themselves feel better about going on with their lives without addressing the risk.

For another example, I carry an emergency kit in my car. I have food, water, tools, first aid supplies, and so forth, because I take the risks of breaking down, getting stranded, etc. seriously. Someone who is not similarly prepared would likely call me "paranoid"--by declaring my concerns "irrational," he makes himself feel better about not being prepared.

As another example (this was the original context in the book I was reading), people who do not take steps to protect themselves/their home/their family will ridicule those who do as "paranoid," as if the risks one prepares for in ensuring his and his family's personal protection don't really exist. It makes the unprepared person feel better about his condition of being unprepared.

EXCELLENT post XT. That's kind of been my theory on it too. It's never bothered me in the slightest.
I also carry food, bottled water, 1st Aid kits, etc though, with my commute nobody really calls that part paranoid :D

To the TS: You know what you're doing is working, and you're healthier & stronger for it. (Both physically & mentally) Even if these people are your friends, just laugh to yourself at their reactions and keep on living your life.
On a side note, 6' 3" @ 185 is pretty skinny isn't it? Are you planning on putting on some muscle after you reach your goal weight while eating healthy still?

Good post. You know that was actually what I was thinking considering anyone who "lectures" me about dieting is out of shape. Even though I don't critique their diets in any way, I'd help them if they wanted, but I guess they'd have to admit THEY were the ones that had a problem.

I like how one person was like if you have fat on your stomach that you don't want why not just do some situps? :icon_neut I point to a guy at the party that is 6'0" 350 and say, "Really so you're telling me if that guy didn't change his diet and just did situps every day his gut would just magically disappear?" Of course I was still wrong somehow.

To the TS: You know what you're doing is working, and you're healthier & stronger for it. (Both physically & mentally) Even if these people are your friends, just laugh to yourself at their reactions and keep on living your life.
On a side note, 6' 3" @ 185 is pretty skinny isn't it? Are you planning on putting on some muscle after you reach your goal weight while eating healthy still?

I'm thin but I wouldn't say I'm skinny. My legs are still pretty big and I have some fat in unwanted places at 190 right now. Losing 50 lbs, I didn't retain as much muscle as I hoped(although I wouldn't say I had a lot). My body is built kinda weird I guess. My plan was to eventually get up to 200/205 and put on some muscle. ATM, I can't afford a gym or weight lifting equipment and most all of my time is spent job hunting.

So once I get some money and my life settles back down I'll get into the gym. Then once I'm at 185, I'll just continue to eat clean and make sure I'm on neither a deficit or surplus of calories.

100% true imo.

Good post. You know that was actually what I was thinking considering anyone who "lectures" me about dieting is out of shape. Even though I don't critique their diets in any way, I'd help them if they wanted, but I guess they'd have to admit THEY were the ones that had a problem.

If I had a nickel for every time someone out of shape gave me shit about the way I eat I would be a millionaire. I'll be at a social gathering of some type minding my own business and get approached by 4 or 5 people who are terribly out of shape who ask: "why aren't you eating this? *points to cake/cookies/etc* once in a while won't hurt! why are you on a diet? you don't need to lose weight!". Or: "why aren't you eating this? *points to fried chicken* chicken is healthy!".

I understand that they are probably just trying to make themselves feel better about all the crap they are eating but I don't think they realize how annoying it is. I feel like people try to guilt me into eating garbage so they can feel better about the shit they eat.

I've had people concerned I'm going to go anorexic. Which is funny because I love to chow down and they've seen me do it. But somehow regularly declining the white bread, soda, cake, etc. is going to pull all the fruit, veggies, meat and whole grains out of my system?

I havent had anyone do that but what I tend to get is people(especially women) asking me about diet advice only to say "Oh thats too much work" only to go on the latest starvation diet fad they got from some woman they talked to at the supermarket.

I like how one person was like if you have fat on your stomach that you don't want why not just do some situps? :icon_neut I point to a guy at the party that is 6'0" 350 and say, "Really so you're telling me if that guy didn't change his diet and just did situps every day his gut would just magically disappear?" Of course I was still wrong somehow.

I'm thin but I wouldn't say I'm skinny. My legs are still pretty big and I have some fat in unwanted places at 190 right now. Losing 50 lbs, I didn't retain as much muscle as I hoped(although I wouldn't say I had a lot). My body is built kinda weird I guess. My plan was to eventually get up to 200/205 and put on some muscle. ATM, I can't afford a gym or weight lifting equipment and most all of my time is spent job hunting.

So once I get some money and my life settles back down I'll get into the gym. Then once I'm at 185, I'll just continue to eat clean and make sure I'm on neither a deficit or surplus of calories.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to work out. Do situps, crunches, planks, bicycles, pull-ups, dips via a chair, pushups, and get a couple of dumbells and do step ups, squats, lunges etc etc. Bodyweight exercises are cheap and not easy. It's something you can do at home. Get creative and use what you have around the house. Look in the classifieds for people wanting to get rid of weights cheap. I spent no more than $200 total for my home gym and that wasn't all at once. I added pieces every 6 weeks or so. To me a gym membership is way too expensive, but just because you don't have a lot of money or even ANY money doesn't mean you can't get a good workout.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to work out. Do situps, crunches, planks, bicycles, pull-ups, dips via a chair, pushups, and get a couple of dumbells and do step ups, squats, lunges etc etc. Bodyweight exercises are cheap and not easy. It's something you can do at home. Get creative and use what you have around the house. Look in the classifieds for people wanting to get rid of weights cheap. I spent no more than $200 total for my home gym and that wasn't all at once. I added pieces every 6 weeks or so. To me a gym membership is way too expensive, but just because you don't have a lot of money or even ANY money doesn't mean you can't get a good workout.

I can't afford to spend a dime on anything. But it's more of a mental thing I guess. I'm looking on the internet pretty much every hour trying to find a job and wondering if I'm going to have to move and if so, where? It's hard for me to make time to exercise and be committed to something when I'm committing myself to finding work. If that makes sense.

If it's not my wife bitching that she has to make me specific dinners, then it's my drunk friends saying that I'm a ***.

Xtrainer makes a great point which I think applies to most situations like this.

XT, that was probably your best post ever! Thanks for sharing that point of view.

I've never been in a fight outside of training, actually. Fun fact.

Back