Anyone get a lot of crap for dieting?

I hate it for the reason Im always explaining to my friends my diet. Most of my friends are Paramedic/Firefighters or within the realm of helping people out. Im 6'3" and around 215 in great shape and I still get people that question me all the time. I am nowhere near Xtrainer on here or most of you but I get bothered having to explain my diet all the time.

Another part of the problem is that people are used to having diets described to them in ten-words-or-less. You know, "the (insert food here) diet," "the (insert food/allergen/whatever here) free diet," a "(high/low/some measure of quantity) (insert nutrient here) diet," and so forth.

In reality, people who have given serious thought to how they eat can rarely describe their diet and the principles it is based on concisely and simply enough for the layman to understand. And real-life conversations have no FAQs to send people to :D

In other words, when people ask you about your diet, they want a one-sentence explanation. You don't have a one-sentence explanation to give them, because you're a reasonable person who knows these things aren't easily boiled down to a single sentence, especially when they go against conventional wisdom.

And if it take more than a sentence to describe your diet, you're some kind of neurotic freak. In fact, you probably have an eating disorder. (That's sarcasm, BTW).

Another part of the problem is that people are used to having diets described to them in ten-words-or-less. You know, "the (insert food here) diet," "the (insert food/allergen/whatever here) free diet," a "(high/low/some measure of quantity) (insert nutrient here) diet," and so forth.

In reality, people who have given serious thought to how they eat can rarely describe their diet and the principles it is based on concisely and simply enough for the layman to understand. And real-life conversations have no FAQs to send people to :D

In other words, when people ask you about your diet, they want a one-sentence explanation. You don't have a one-sentence explanation to give them, because you're a reasonable person who knows these things aren't easily boiled down to a single sentence, especially when they go against conventional wisdom.

And if it take more than a sentence to describe your diet, you're some kind of neurotic freak. In fact, you probably have an eating disorder. (That's sarcasm, BTW).

If "orthorexia nervosa" ever becomes a generally accepted concept, then you're going to start having that term thrown at you a lot!

Man I'm about 270 pounds and I've lost about 28 pounds in the last few months. Whenever someone is eating and I say I'm not hungry I get called an anorexic.

My family is Italian, when I went visited them in Montreal last year I was on a diet trying to lose weight. Trust me, it was THE worst test of will power in my life.

If anyone knows about Italians is that they feed you and feed you until you're stuffed then they feed you some more. So when I went there and had two egg whites for breakfast and a banana with some skim milk instead of a huge omlette with bacon and french toast they looked at me like I was deranged.

lol reminds me of my family. At family gatherings when I was a kid it was a given that you would eat until you almost exploded. Needless to say I was a fat kid. Now when I am at family gatherings everyone constantly asks me: "why are you not eating!?" or "eat some more, you barely ate anything!" etc etc. They look at me like I am mental.

Thank god I live in a country where most of the diet consists of healthy food. We eat a lot of fruits, veggies, meat, fish and etc. The only problem is that the lower social classes are starting to eat a whole lot more at Mcdonalds and fast food places and the obesity rate is rising even though many people do eat healthy because it's cheaper. The massive quantity of food for some young kids gets out of control and they become double the size they should be even though they are eating veggies. No one really cares if you diet or not.

Back