Anyone ever quit a job after 1 day or 1 week?

Plenty of times,

After all we were all teenagers at one time...

All jobs suck for the first 2 weeks to 2 months.

So I promised myself when I was young that I would never quit a job in the first 2 months.

Unless of course I get another offer that's way better. But I won't quit just because I hate it.

Jobs become much more enjoyable once get used to it and know what you're doing. And pushing through unpleasantness makes you stronger.

ya. The thing is it doesn’t suck at all. It’s just not exactly what I envisioned and another company is offering me a different job. Less pay but way better management and much more IT technical work vs now which appears to be managing vendors and projects and a little desktop support. So ya. Job doesn’t suck but other offer is closer to me and more technical work with a good team but pays $10k less. More vacation time though. Less after hours stuff.

17 and got a job at an auto shop. I forgot to put the oil plug in a diesel truck and dumped 12 quarts of oil on the floor and then I bent a hood trying to close it (had one of those little tiny sticks in the corner and I didn't see it. Thought it was spring loaded). That made me wonder if I was even going to be able to join the work force as an adult.

When I was 25 or so, I got a job installing emergency equipment on vehicles. Like light bars, spot lights, PA speakers, sirens, two way radios, antennas etc. The guy just dropped a box full of equipment off with me and pulled a truck in the bay and left. I found him and asked him if he was supposed to train me and he said I shouldn't need training if I got hired. I sat there on basically the same truck for almost the entire week and installed like 3 things. That Friday I just said fuck it and packed up my tools and left.

I dont think that would happen in the adult professional world TS because well you are an adult and you make professional commitments while thinking like an adult. The closest it could be is like I work with clients, references, agencies and I go take an introductory meeting with a new client and then said to the person who referenced you "no sorry but this guy sounds like trouble Im not taking this job" that I have done a couple times in my life

What about if unemployed.....you get an offer and take it bc it’s better than make my no money. BUT after you start another company you were interviewing with offers a job that’s closer to home and more technical in my work but pays $10k less.
If I didn’t have the 2nd offer I’d be totally happy where I’m at. But this 2nd could be better.

I feel I owe my current company time to work as I gave my word. But I also feel I have to do what’s best for me and my family. Decisions like this suck.

I have walked out on a job that paid 100k+ without notice. Brought up internal company issues. Got PIP'ed for it. Packed up my shit the night before. Slept on it. Next morning felt the same. Never came back. Accepted another job and spent my two weeks that would have been spent as part of my notice visiting family. Like two weeks later, they started hassling me to come and interview for another job that I was really interested in ,which was providing expert analyst to board members, when I was still just trying to get out from under my crappy manager. Good managers are hard to come buy and if I wasn't starting my own thing, I would give my eye teeth for one. There are good companies and good managers but they are rare and when they let you know if they are any good, believe them. The more I have worked in the corporate world, the more I have noticed that it is really amazing that anything of note gets done or that anyone is genuinely happy while doing it. In all honestly, I suspect trademen have on average higher job satisfaction and salary as well.
You make great points and I love the input. I’m also shocked how disorganized and fly by night some places are! It’s crazy!

Shortest stint I've ever had was at Amazon, but it was 3 montha. Was working seasonally in Yellowstone National Park and needed a job when I got back home. When I did find another job though I walked out midshift. Place sucked ass

Quit after one week as a dishwasher in a Fish and Chips joint. Place literally made me sick.

Both, worked cold lead sales, there was no training just a script.. made 1 call and was like "Nope".

Worked telemarketing and lasted about a week, hated every minute of it.

I quit a class after one day but pretended to everybody that I was still attending

I know op wants adult jobs but...
Only job that I never went back to was bussing tables while in HS.

Nothing with a salary.

Two work experience.

One was at a Boating Academy in Cowes on the Isle of Wight, where I was being trained as a handyman. People there were decent and friendly, but I didn't return after my first week. No phone call or anything.

Other time was at this children's nursary, where I was left to garden around the back of the complex. For some baffling reason, I put the weeds (as well as the dirt clumped with the roots) in a big, foot-high mountain right next to me, instead of asking for a wheelbarrow. The old guy was kind and asked me to put it all in the barrow, but it was so thickly packed that I put half of it into the wheelbarrow with a hand trowel, left the wheelbarrow in the garden and then walked home.

Truth be told, both times I was dealing with the effects of being a mentally ill shut in for years, so I wasn't work ready.

lazy roommates dad got him a job, he worked 1 day and they never called him back or paid him

And I'm not talking about quitting at McDonald's or some job you had in high school. I'm talking a professional job in the grown up world. If so, why did you? Was it a smart choice?
I already gave up after the first few moronic replies.

What about if unemployed.....you get an offer and take it bc it’s better than make my no money. BUT after you start another company you were interviewing with offers a job that’s closer to home and more technical in my work but pays $10k less.
If I didn’t have the 2nd offer I’d be totally happy where I’m at. But this 2nd could be better.

I feel I owe my current company time to work as I gave my word. But I also feel I have to do what’s best for me and my family. Decisions like this suck.
OK I understand, I dont know how complicated and how many things your new employer had to do to get you in. Depending on that you behave yourself.... if it was a long tedious process then you meet with the person in charge and have a sit down and apologize for making them waste their time, yeah you do have to apologize, because again if it was. LOONG TEDIOUS process to get you in, then they invested their own resources to bring you in and yeah you are kinda going back on your word... still who the fuck cares, you do whats convenient for you while trying to minimize the damage to the people who helped you.... but you got to do what you got to do....good luck

Back