Anyone ever quit a job after 1 day or 1 week?

And I'm not talking about quitting at McDonald's or some job you had in high school. I'm talking a professional job in the grown up world. If so, why did you? Was it a smart choice?

1st day. They lied to me about what I was doing. Some old guy who I was to be replacing showed me all the stuff. About 6 hours into it I left. Was for NCR.

Another was I trained to do dell laptop repair for a week. My first day working I get all these parts shipped to me. Go to house and fix shit and end up with extra screws. At the end of the day found out I got another job and quit that shit.

And I'm not talking about quitting at McDonald's or some job you had in high school. I'm talking a professional job in the grown up world. If so, why did you? Was it a smart choice?
Quit a 6-figure job after 2 weeks. After 2 days I knew I had to leave. It was a semi-startup gig and the place was run like the military. We had to badge out of our room to go to the bathroom. 2 standup meetings every day to explain what you accomplished in the past 4 hours. They were tracking every minute of our day. I dont work like that. I need some days to just chill and do nothing while I think.

CEO was a slimy dude that I could tell was just trying to build some tech to sell to a larger company so I would be out of a job at that point anyways. He was promising all kinds of stuff to the employees such as stock shares, etc..

I destroyed them in the interview. I think I shocked them really, and they would have paid me whatever I asked. I knew they were looking for 70-80k salary for the position. I said I wanted 110k and they gave it to me, no questions asked.

At the end of the day, I didn't like the way the place was run, and I didn't believe in the product so I said it wasn't going to work.

One day?

Try one quarter shift. Summer gig when was 18. Aluminum plant. I wrapped long sheets of aluminum for what seemed like a century(was about an hour an half), and walked right the fuck out at break time, never to return. You could see the look of death in everyone's eyes at that place.

I quit after a week. It was a supervisor at a juvenile detention center. I have background in gang intervention and running high risk youth programs. I thought as a supervisor I could make some meaningful changes and found out quickly I couldn't. The system is pretty jacked and it doesnt come down to the individuals. It was so cringy quitting that first week. I have flashbacks about it sometimes.

Not quit but got sacked just after a week and 2 days.

I had a job I was comfortable at but left for a new job for slightly better pay and more hours.
Anyway, what wasn't explained to me was they took on like twelve odd of us and was a long group training period, where they dropped the weakest links frequently. And there was only just a couple of openings actually available.

Someone appeared to not be following along, momentarily not paying attention, ask the wrong question = goodbye!

I noticed the majority of the group looked like they didn't understand a particular thing which was being explained to us, so thinking me asking for more detail would show interest/enthusiasm. Wrong! The woman asked me to leave the room. She came out and just said I won't be back tomorrow & was booted out then and there.

That was a big moment in my work life where I learned honesty wasn't always a good thing. Should have just kept my mouth shut and be as confused as the rest of the class.
There was a two month or 2 so period where they can get rid of you anyway.

The only compassion I got from this bitch woman was "maybe you can get your old job back" in a smug tone.

It was a humiliating experience as I had a nice send off from old colleagues and would be too embarrassed to go back after barely more than a week.

Had to go sign on.
I think losing that job was probably a blessing in disguise. Companies like that suck to work for and produce a law quality of life. It sucks to always be under the gun. And if they didnt disclose that to you in the beginning there was bound to be more dishonesty and bad practices.

Was an engineer and quit after the second day.
Started to work in this open-space office. 90% female coworkers from marketing. I was one of two engineers.
We had separate tables for everyone but also one big table in another room without a door. So this girls were not sitting at their own tables, but rather sit at this big table and chat and watch instagram for like the whole day and laughing about stuff.

On top of that I was given a metal chair from fucking famous designer and it looked like space station chair, and when I search for it online it was like 500 dollars chair. But sitting on this shit was so uncomfortable, my back was hurting at the end of the day so much I couldnt even stay straight.

So I came the next day at 10am and nobody at the office. People started to show up at like 1pm, I was like wtf even is that. And all they were doing again - watching instagram and laughing.

Never came back after that, just messaged the head guy that Im not going and thats it.

In college I worked for a temp agency.

One day, they sent me to the local mall. I swept the floors before the stores opened.

On my first day, they paired me off with some guy that kept bothering the employees of the store to let him have candy bars for free. The guy ended up stealing one when they kept saying "no" to him.

I was afraid I would get in trouble due to this doofus. So, I ended up paying for what he stole.

I told the temp agency to remove me from the job site and get me an office job. So, I ended up scanning documents at an investment firm.

Last edited:
Mall furniture store when I was like 18. I quit after one day. They had me standing on flimsy boxes stocking furniture boxes two stories high in the warehouse. Nope, not for me.

All jobs suck for the first 2 weeks to 2 months.

So I promised myself when I was young that I would never quit a job in the first 2 months.

Unless of course I get another offer that's way better. But I won't quit just because I hate it.

Jobs become much more enjoyable once get used to it and know what you're doing. And pushing through unpleasantness makes you stronger.

A few times.

First one was an 'apprenticeship' at a cabinet making company. I never even showed up for the first day. I was like 21 at the time, and had just gotten laid off from a union job that paid 17$/hr. This 'apprenticeship' was paying 8$/hr, I was going to make more sitting home on employment insurance than I would make working 40 hrs a week. (I got rehired at the union job, which happened to be at a college bookstore. They also paid my tuition for 2 years as a college employee).

Second one was as a door to door salesman. Selling wildlife artwork. All on commission. Went out for the day with another sales guy to see how it all worked. Never went back to actually go and sell anything myself.

Third one was as a carpet cleaning tech. I thought it was just cleaning carpets, and they set up all the appointments for you. They did set up the appointments, but then they wanted you to try to upsell services to the people once you got there. I did one week working with another guy to learn how to clean the carpets, then one week by myself. The straw that broke my back was I'd gotten back at about 3 PM from a day of cleaning, and they asked me to go do another call. Being a new guy, I said sure. The call was for a basic clean (try to upsell). I got there (it was 35 min drive) and immediately knew there was no chance of an upsell. Finished cleaning, packed up, drove back to the warehouse (took 1.5 hrs as it was now rush hour). Cleaned my truck up, and left. So I spent an extra 3 hours of my day, for like a 15$ commission. I knew right there I wouldn't be going back. Called in the next day and said it wasn't for me.

I quit 2 or 3 jobs after the first day, I hated them and didn't want to go back.

I got fired after 3 days on a large paying project management job. I think I embellished my resume a bit too much and ended up getting the boot. It was painful, I'll never do that again.

Company: Are you an electrical engineer?
Former Warehouse worker Sherdogger: Say what? Hell no, I am a rocket scientist.
Company: Awesome, youre hired
FWWS: Cool, I will take it easy though, dont want to show up everyone working there.

3 days later
Company: So I see you havent done much
FWWS: Yeah I just dont want to embarrass no one here and show them up
Company: Well we would like to show you the door, good bye
FWWS: Der tuk my jerb.

I dont think that would happen in the adult professional world TS because well you are an adult and you make professional commitments while thinking like an adult. The closest it could be is like I work with clients, references, agencies and I go take an introductory meeting with a new client and then said to the person who referenced you "no sorry but this guy sounds like trouble Im not taking this job" that I have done a couple times in my life

I got hired on as a forklift operator at Aisin. Came in on the first day and was told they filled the position internally and I'd be on a line. They had me assembling sliders for car seats which was something a machine could do. It was repetitive, fast paced and boring as hell. I thought about staying, but 4 hours in they said we would have to stay 12 hours (supposed to be an 8 hour shift) and that we would have to come in on Saturday and maybe Sunday. I walked out at lunch.

I walked out after 6 hours recently. It was a medical company , but in the break room nobody wore masks, it was absolutely filthy and nobody washed their hands when it clearly stated on a big sign above the top to wash your hands. There was no way I would use their restrooms because they were filthy too. So I bounced.

No, shortest job i ever had was my very first job working at Little Caesars. I only left because it shut down after about two months. That was 23 years ago. Ive only had 5 jobs in my life.

I have walked out on a job that paid 100k+ without notice. Brought up internal company issues. Got PIP'ed for it. Packed up my shit the night before. Slept on it. Next morning felt the same. Never came back. Accepted another job and spent my two weeks that would have been spent as part of my notice visiting family. Like two weeks later, they started hassling me to come and interview for another job that I was really interested in ,which was providing expert analyst to board members, when I was still just trying to get out from under my crappy manager. Good managers are hard to come buy and if I wasn't starting my own thing, I would give my eye teeth for one. There are good companies and good managers but they are rare and when they let you know if they are any good, believe them. The more I have worked in the corporate world, the more I have noticed that it is really amazing that anything of note gets done or that anyone is genuinely happy while doing it. In all honestly, I suspect trademen have on average higher job satisfaction and salary as well.

Last edited:
Company: Are you an electrical engineer?
Former Warehouse worker Sherdogger: Say what? Hell no, I am a rocket scientist.
Company: Awesome, youre hired
FWWS: Cool, I will take it easy though, dont want to show up everyone working there.

3 days later
Company: So I see you havent done much
FWWS: Yeah I just dont want to embarrass no one here and show them up
Company: Well we would like to show you the door, good bye
FWWS: Der tuk my jerb.

lol, yup.

Back