Anyone ever deal with patellar tendonitis/jumper's knee?

Makes complete sense that lowbar squats felt better for you. I love highbar and front squatting, but I've had a lot of success with lowbar variations with patients rehabbing from patellar tendinits. Mainly because of less knee travel, less anterior (front) load in the knees, smaller knee angle (meaning less compression forces on the patella tendon) and also the load pushed back against the backside. It's a win win really considering what you're saying here, which is also why I asked about the DL. Try to just do a BW deadlifts/RDLs and tell me how it feels.

The reasoning behind your doctor not wanting you bend at the at the waist is likely because the "idea" is to isolate the quads and there's legitimate physiological arguments for this, however, if you're not ready for it it's just not right for you simple as that. Good PT is a cyclical process with continuous evaluation and progression. The version he's doing in the video with the band is not a poor choice, see the idea is completely limiting knee travel here for the reasons I listed earlier, AND, isolating the quads. It's a good enough exercises, and I know the evidence with the isometrics very well, but it's still not my favourite personally. It can work well, but if you get pain as you say, I'd much rather opt for a sitback quarter squat with forward lean and hips back (lowbar) or various deadlift variations, as they offer many of the same protections with the additional benefit of letting you engage your hips, glutes and hamstring much more, which in turn can help you in the long run.

Are you doing any soft tissue work (stretching, massaging, breathing excercises)?
Bodyweight deadlifts feel pretty good, almost like a low bar squat. I'm not really sure if I should go back to doing low bar type bodysquats or stay with how the doctor has recommended, as neither is really hurting me, I just want to do whatever is more effective from a pt standpoint. Also doing some stretching and foam rolling since I started the new pt program. I think it is helping a bit, although it's hard to tell if I am getting more relief from the actual exercises or the stretching and foam rolling. By the way, thank you very much for your knowledge here, really appreciate it

Bodyweight deadlifts feel pretty good, almost like a low bar squat. I'm not really sure if I should go back to doing low bar type bodysquats or stay with how the doctor has recommended, as neither is really hurting me, I just want to do whatever is more effective from a pt standpoint. Also doing some stretching and foam rolling since I started the new pt program. I think it is helping a bit, although it's hard to tell if I am getting more relief from the actual exercises or the stretching and foam rolling. By the way, thank you very much for your knowledge here, really appreciate it
No worries!

Alright, if neither is hurting I'd stick with the PT exercises from your doctor. You have a direct line of communication if need be and there's a rational behind it, so better to see it through. However, now you know that you have additional options of exercise choices when you start loading again. Definitely incorporate some DL/lowbar variations, if they still feel good, when you get back to a gym again. Building your backside will most likely alleviate your knees.

Feels better after I moved squats to later in my workout.

I've also started stretching more, idk if that helped or it's just a coincidence.

I'm looking for some advice, I've been dealing with it since this whole covid thing started and I was attempting some very basic bodyweight lunges at home that caused my knee to flare up. At the moment I'm only doing very basic pt type exercise for my legs and I'm not sure it's working much. I get the feeling that laying off of intense exercises has caused it to get better but the moment I increase the intensity they will start hurting again.

Nursing a sore knee right now, kind of irritated because I exacerbated an old problem instead of dealing with it properly and getting enough rest and slowly ramping up the exercise. Deficit deadlifts caused my knee to be very painful, from being able to run nearly every day (maybe with slight of pain in the beginning) to zero. Right now I'm just walking/drills for cardio and doing some light leg exercises and trying to learn how to run properly (use more glutes instead of quads).

I botched the rehab a few weeks ago by jogging just abit too soon. My benchmark now is being able to do skater squats(twisting variation), side squats without pain before even running abit. BW squats start to hurt abit after 20-50reps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back