Anyone else think smartphones aren't designed to last?

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a Samsung fan, though I admit that they're far inferior to Apple in construction.

I've noticed my Samsung Note 2 has had alot of problems lately. The signal has been horrible, for voice and data. One day last week it mysteriously stopped charging at all, even though the charging port was undamaged, I installed a new one and it still wouldn't charge. Micro USB ports have always been shit, one of the biggest frustrations I've had with my current phone, and my Droid X before that.

I take very good care of my phone. I clean it regularly and its never been dropped. Theoretically, unless an electronic has been abused it should keep working properly, right? Wrong, apparently. If this was an old phone, its understandable. But the Note 2s have only been out for 18 months.....

Isn't that interesting... Right when my contract is up for renewal, and I get a discount on a new phone... That's quite convenient. I didn't have insurance on my Note2, until yesterday when Sprint allowed open enrollment for all their existing contracts to get insurance (Yes!). So after a quick inspection from a tech, I'm getting a brand new Note2 replacement being sent to me. But that kinda is beside the point that the phone I bought with a 2 year contract, wasn't even designed to last 2 years.

Anyone have any experience with this on their own phones, across different brands and carriers?

I like the look of the Samsung, but they are flimsy.

my smart phones always start getting bad around the time i'm due for an upgrade. i think that has more to do with my use of the phone than it purposely not being designed to last. i use it constantly asking it to be a computer i would expect it to break down.

I'm a Samsung fan, though I admit that they're far inferior to Apple in construction.

I've noticed my Samsung Note 2 has had alot of problems lately. The signal has been horrible, for voice and data. One day last week it mysteriously stopped charging at all, even though the charging port was undamaged, I installed a new one and it still wouldn't charge. Micro USB ports have always been shit, one of the biggest frustrations I've had with my current phone, and my Droid X before that.

I take very good care of my phone. I clean it regularly and its never been dropped. Theoretically, unless an electronic has been abused it should keep working properly, right? Wrong, apparently. If this was an old phone, its understandable. But the Note 2s have only been out for 18 months.....

Isn't that interesting... Right when my contract is up for renewal, and I get a discount on a new phone... That's quite convenient. I didn't have insurance on my Note2, until yesterday when Sprint allowed open enrollment for all their existing contracts to get insurance (Yes!). So after a quick inspection from a tech, I'm getting a brand new Note2 replacement being sent to me. But that kinda is beside the point that the phone I bought with a 2 year contract, wasn't even designed to last 2 years.

Anyone have any experience with this on their own phones, across different brands and carriers?

It's the same thing with all electronics. It's called planned obsolescence.

I've never owned a Samsung smart phone, I've only had to cheaper brands because I'm a poor student but I've never had trouble with the hardware of these phones, and they've suffered a few drops as well.

I have the s3 and I have dropped it a lot. It has no scratches or broken glass. The only thing bad about it is the battery life which only lasts me half a day if I'm constantly using it. I've only owned it for a year though.

My Note II has been sturdy so far and I've had no software issues either.

Apple all day. Samsung is good at making TV's, not phones.

I've beat the shit out of my Samsung Ativ S for a year and a half now and it has no issues. Actually, I noted the other day that I've seen way more smashed screens on Iphones than any other phone.

My s4 never has issues, but I have a huge otterbox for it. My girls note2 had the same problems as yours though.

Oct. will be 2 years for my Galaxy SIII and it still works great

My s4 never has issues, but I have a huge otterbox for it. My girls note2 had the same problems as yours though.

Yeah, I haven't heard the S series having the same problems, which is weird. The Note 2 & 3 are basically bigger versions of the S3&4, I thought. Apparently not.

I work in electronics design. All products go through what's called a "life test", where they simulate accelerated wear and tear conditions for a certain amount of time.

Consumer cellular are in 6 month cycles (except Apple). Meaning a new product is designed, tested and out the door in 6 months (it's a ridiculously fast pace). The average phone is used for maybe 2 years and tossed. Therefore, they are "life tested" for maybe 4-6 years. This is why modern electronics in general tend to be fragile, because they are not "life tested" to last very long. It's not uncommon to see outliers where they fail in months.

Apple gets a reputation for durability, but high cost. They release a phone every 1.5 years or something, with very minimal improvements and charge you an arm and a leg for it. However, they do emphasize "life testing" and that's why you don't see as many iPhone complaints compared to Android phones on 6 month cycles.

*insert random comment about product which should be taken as fact as opposed to as personal opinion*

iPhones are designed to screencrack. I hardly know anybody that doesn't have the spiderman app. That's why I droid.

Every second Apple product I see has a broken screen.

I've been using my HTC Desire as a development device and work/personal phone for the last 3 years and its in perfect condition.

Fuck Apple.

Back