Anyone else think smartphones aren't designed to last?

Yeah, I haven't heard the S series having the same problems, which is weird. The Note 2 & 3 are basically bigger versions of the S3&4, I thought. Apparently not.

Something of note though. It seemed to be a charger problem for her. Certain charger stopped working for her phone, but continue to charge mine. I'm not sure what the implications of this is, but it just seems odd. I did go through 2 other s4, but it's because I dropped them on my tile floor and I had no case at the time. Very slippery little shit without the case.

It's the same thing with all electronics. It's called planned obsolescence.

This. There's a good documentary on this called The Light Bulb Conspiracy.

I especially enjoy the work Apple does on its batteries to fuck over customers.

I recommend the UAG case for any samsung s3 or 4 user. I've seriously dropped my phone on countless occasions with no damage to the phone at all and it isn't nearly as bulky or expensive as the otter case.

iPhones are designed to screencrack. I hardly know anybody that doesn't have the spiderman app. That's why I droid.

I had an iphone 4 which lasted 3 years, dropped several times, no cracks or scratches. As long as you have a bumper on it you will be fine, it gives the phone just enough of a lip to prevent the screen from smashing when it lands. No bumper = spiderman app all day.

They should just have a bumper like lip designed into the damn phone.

Something of note though. It seemed to be a charger problem for her. Certain charger stopped working for her phone, but continue to charge mine. I'm not sure what the implications of this is, but it just seems odd. I did go through 2 other s4, but it's because I dropped them on my tile floor and I had no case at the time. Very slippery little shit without the case.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I took it to a cell phone repair place, and they did a full diagnostic and found nothing wrong with it, and it still wouldn't charge. Then I took it to Sprint and they said they couldn't check it out because I didn't have insurance at that time.... So they gave me the number to call to cancel my service and I went to my folk's place to use their landline. While I'm on the phone, waiting to be connected I jokingly connected my Note 2 to my dad's new phone charger.... And imagine my surprise when it started charging.

Between the phone repair place Sprint store, there was at least 5 chargers they tried to get the damn phone to charge... No luck... Then I try a charger that's 3 weeks old, and it works like a charm.

Wow.

had my galaxy s4 for almost a yr now and its still in good condition

however i do worry if i ever dropped it on a hard surface

I've had my HTC One for less than a year and it's given me more problems than any phone I've had before. I had two different model iPhone's over five years and they were both very reliable. Learned my lesson, back to the iPhone as soon as the 6 drops.

I've been using the same iPhone since 2009 and it's still going strong. And this is without ever using a protective case.

had my galaxy s4 for almost a yr now and its still in good condition

however i do worry if i ever dropped it on a hard surface

You are right to worry.

Broke 2 of them. Had them on my lap and got up forgetting they were there. 2 or so feet onto the Tile floor and they are dunzo. Learned my lesson and got an otterbox, now my phone is protected, but ugly as hell in this thing.

Broken screen =/= software that slows, which is what TS is addressing.
I've yet to meet someone with a droid that hasn't had it shit on them software wise after a couple of years.

Samsung makes unreliable phones.

Broken screen =/= software that slows, which is what TS is addressing.
I've yet to meet someone with a droid that hasn't had it shit on them software wise after a couple of years.

Samsung makes unreliable phones.

I'm considering the possibility that it could also be a problem with androids in general.

Didn't mean this to be a bashing thread for one brand or the other, just want to hear different stories.

Lol.... I mean in what way. Someone else just said they've used the same Iphone for 5 years.

I don't really know. I actually just bought the first smart phone I've ever owned a few months ago. It's an iPhone 5s. We'll see what happens.

I'm considering the possibility that it could also be a problem with androids in general.

Didn't mean this to be a bashing thread for one brand or the other, just want to hear different stories.

I've never owned one, but apple does seem to have the top spot when it comes to quality. My friends is still rockin that original iphone. I didn't believe it at first, but it was true.

My Note II has been sturdy so far and I've had no software issues either.

Same here.... Until recently... Be very wary of that 18 month timeframe, my friend.

Hope the same doesn't happen to you. Bought mine the first day it was available, hopefully they fixed some problems with the ones built at a later date.

I've never owned one, but apple does seem to have the top spot when it comes to quality. My friends is still rockin that original iphone. I didn't believe it at first, but it was true.

Yup. For those that use their phone just as a phone, Apple is the cream of the crop.

Same here.... Until recently... Be very wary of that 18 month timeframe, my friend.

Hope the same doesn't happen to you. Bought mine the first day it was available, hopefully they fixed some problems with the ones built at a later date.

Eeek I'm a couple months from that too , noted

Back