Anyone else impressed with Guida?

usernamee

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
He is so god damn long in the tooth that it would'nt have been a surprise if he fell off a cliff 5 years ago but here he is in 2022 still moving and grooving like he always has

And I honestly think he looked slightly improved last night, only by a smidge but still, you rarely see improvements what so ever in guys this tenured usually

His timeless and should have been out of the UFC many years ago. He has been getting good match making from UFC so he has a chance of winning. He definitely wouldn't do so well against the elite in the division but I am glad the UFC has found a way to let him keep fighting.

Hell no. That dude has been stuck in a permanent display of split decision for twenty years. It's like a novelty act that we've all come to somehow accept.
Shows you what having a certain "look" will do when the UFC is concerned.
They're desperate for every-man Americans that joe blow fans can somehow latch onto.

He fought a 39 year old dude with limited MMA skills tonight and eeked a SD

Shows you what having a certain "look" will do when the UFC is concerned.
They're desperate for every-man Americans that joe blow fans can somehow latch onto.

I think he's been around so long nobody knows what to do. I'd guess he hasn't asked for a raise since 2009 and is still pulling 18k/18k fight purses! U Fight Cheap will gladly fill a prelim spot with Cousin It playing Dance Dance Revolution!

His timeless and should have been out of the UFC many years ago. He has been getting good match making from UFC so he has a chance of winning. He definitely wouldn't do so well against the elite in the division but I am glad the UFC has found a way to let him keep fighting.

Some vets they throw to the wolves and let them get crushed (Ferguson, Cerrone, Edgar, etc.)

Other vets they give favorable matchmaking towards and are allowed to age gracefully (Guida, Arlovski, Jim Miller, among others)

Guida is lucky to be in the 2nd group.

Some vets they throw to the wolves and let them get crushed (Ferguson, Cerrone, Edgar, etc.)

Other vets they give favorable matchmaking towards and are allowed to age gracefully (Guida, Arlovski, Jim Miller, among others)

It's the downside of the ranking system, once you start to age out imo people should drop out of the rankings much quicker than they do. When someone is ranked they don't have any choice but to give them someone with at least rankings potential really.

People like Guida, Elkins, Johnson, Arlovski, Miller, Means, Brown etc haven't been ranked in years so they don't get opposition like that consistently.

While I agree a bit. Second group aged while not being contenders but solid fighters. The first group is asking the UFC for hard fights because they believe they can still get the belt.

While I agree a bit. Second group aged while not being contenders but solid fighters. The first group is asking the UFC for hard fights because they believe they can still get the belt.

Plus those other guys are actually worth having a hot prospect destroy. A hot prospect detroying Guida wouldn't mean much to the average fan because he's just not very known or was never at that super elite level ever in his career.

Used to hate Guida in his early hyped up days but he has long since won me over. Guy is still super positive despite basically being irrelevant in the division and never complains. In an era full of inactive champions, rank squatting, and constant hold outs, Guida is one of the last memories of a different time. Respect.

He did well for his age but lost the stand up and should have lost the decision too.

He used those slams for high altitude crowd pleasing theater but did not do much after the slams.

Cavemen have been around a long time. Is normal.
I always thought if Guida changed his name and we had Clay “the caveman” Geico, instead of just Clay Guida, he would be a household name by now. Imagine the sponsorship potential and endless commercial possibilities.

But instead we have Dave “the caveman” Rickell
<{cruzshake}>

Back