Anyone else impressed with Guida?

Good on him and his longevity. Not the biggest fan, but no hate his way

I've always hated Clay Guida, but my hat's off to him, motherfucker only has been KO/TKO'd twice in 22 losses. He's not making it easy for me. I hope the UFC keeps giving him fights until some up n coming guy knocks him out silly.

Possibly the classiest hate post in sherdog history. Some of the fucks around here should take notes.

<RomeroSalute>

I'll always love Guida for humbling Pettis back in the day. Pettis was riding high after his WEC win over Bendo. Was supposed to be fast-tracked for a title shot in the UFC, but they had the rematches for the belt with Edgar and Penn and Maynard. So they fed him Guida for an "easy win" and Guida made him look amateur

I bet guida had a small contract so he’s never thrown to the wolves like other vets. He know his lane and sticks in it. Props to him for having such a long career.

He was the last boring fighter on a card that I believe had all finishes after that. So...no.

he remains a fan favorite despite being a bit of a meh fighter…kind of like the band he chose for his entrance last night

The only thing that keeps impressing me about him is his burping skills.

Some vets they throw to the wolves and let them get crushed (Ferguson, Cerrone, Edgar, etc.)

Other vets they give favorable matchmaking towards and are allowed to age gracefully (Guida, Arlovski, Jim Miller, among others)

Guida is lucky to be in the 2nd group.

Everyone in the first group was a victim of his own success IMHO. Guida has found the right balance of winning and losing to avoid having to fight anyone too dangerous. He was on the same path, with stoppage losses to Mendes, Ortega, Oliveira, but in the years since he’s alternated wins and losses and avoided ranked opposition as a result.

His timeless and should have been out of the UFC many years ago. He has been getting good match making from UFC so he has a chance of winning. He definitely wouldn't do so well against the elite in the division but I am glad the UFC has found a way to let him keep fighting.
Guida vs Conor retirement fight

Didn’t watch, did he burp?

He is so god damn long in the tooth that it would'nt have been a surprise if he fell off a cliff 5 years ago but here he is in 2022 still moving and grooving like he always has

And I honestly think he looked slightly improved last night, only by a smidge but still, you rarely see improvements what so ever in guys this tenured usually

That dude is an inspiration to all of us old bastads...love that guy.

I always thought if Guida changed his name and we had Clay “the caveman” Geico, instead of just Clay Guida, he would be a household name by now. Imagine the sponsorship potential and endless commercial possibilities.

But instead we have Dave “the caveman” Rickell
<{cruzshake}>

Its Clay "The carpenter" Guida though sir.

I've always liked Guida, he was alright last night but Holtzman isn't good and is 39 himself.

I hate his style with a passion..

That said he took out pettis, rda, josh thomson, diaz, bj, lauzon etc.. give mma 100 years where no one accurately remembers the circumstances and he'll probably low key have one of the best resumes ever.. he won his 60th mma fight while still in the ufc..

I hope he continues bouncing, burping and swinging pillow pitter patter combined with inefficient wrestling for as long as it makes him happy.. pay the guy dana!

Before to click I thought that it was a 2009 bump thread.

I've always thought his octagon interview after his TKO win over Joe Lauzon (Fight Night 120 in Norfolk) was incredibly cool and came off very genuine rather than necessarily adhering.
Talking to Jon Anik in the cage he let the audience know it was his last fight and implored them to voice their opinion, present live or home, in want of him re-signing and finishing his career in the UFC.

Article with a now-private video.

Otherwise, in regards to the OP, the first reply is funnily apt. He does always add to (almost) any event he's on, with his character and passion.
Also comes off as someone I would have loved to have in the wrestling room.

Some vets they throw to the wolves and let them get crushed (Ferguson, Cerrone, Edgar, etc.)

Other vets they give favorable matchmaking towards and are allowed to age gracefully (Guida, Arlovski, Jim Miller, among others)

Guida is lucky to be in the 2nd group.
Yea, but the one who got crushed had higher goals, they were still kinda marcing toward titlle.

Back