Anyone come face to face with a black bear?

After watching the movie Backcountry I've developed a phobia of black bears. The way the bear mauls and eats a guy alive in that movie was the stuff of nightmares. I really can't imagine coming close to a black bear, probably going to piss my pants.

Yeah, on a paid guided bowhunt. We all had only longbows - I had one specially made to Saxton Pope's specs because that was the whole reason I was on that stalk. Our guide had a Howard Hill style flatbow.

Where I grew up bowhunting was illegal, but when I travelled I found plenty of places where we could. A lot of people just do it from blinds and stands but I have always loved the stalk. Cool thing about bears is you want to stalk them, because when you land a few arrows in them they will tree up and you do not want to be up there when they do.

I think a lot of people run dogs too when they hunt them, but we didn't. Just us and the bears. And, ya know, everything else in the woods lol.
your culture is alien to me,i should respect it,but I actually wouldn't shed a tear if I heard you got maul and eaten by a bear.

I’ve been watching Steve Rinella’syoutube videos all the time after hearing him on the Rogan podcast. Dude hunts bear and eats them. I really want to try blueberry bear after watching one of his videos (black bears with a diet based around blueberries). He has one video where a grizzly with two cubs mock charges him and his buddy. The other guy was shooting in front of the bear to scare it off but the bear didn’t give a shit. Crazy shit. He also has another video where a moose charges him and knocks him down.

Can you provide links to those videos please?

Can you provide links to those videos please?

Sure man. This dude this badass and I am hooked on his videos and what he has to say on the subject of hunting and wildlife. He even hunts for pigeons too.
Getting charged at by a mama grizzly

Getting knocked on his ass by a moose and then later eating it

Cooking bear meat in bear fat

your culture is alien to me,i should respect it,but I actually wouldn't shed a tear if I heard you got maul and eaten by a bear.

I paid for a tag. The system in which I participated in is part of that which ensures the population maintenance and balance within its respective ecosystem. I had a longbow, being mauled and eaten was a fair chance. I took it.

And FWIW if you came to a BBQ at my house, I would happily cook you falafel and vegetable patties. But then again I am more of an "each to their own" kind of guy than a draconian statist of any sort.

Have a nice Xmas.

I paid for a tag. The system in which I participated in is part of that which ensures the population maintenance and balance within its respective ecosystem. I had a longbow, being mauled and eaten was a fair chance. I took it.

And FWIW if you came to a BBQ at my house, I would happily cook you falafel and vegetable patties. But then again I am more of an "each to their own" kind of guy than a draconian statist of any sort.

Have a nice Xmas.
nothing personal,i just don't understand how such a thing can be enjoyable,tagged,maintenance or whatever.

nothing personal,i just don't understand how such a thing can be enjoyable,tagged,maintenance or whatever.

Stalk hunt a black bear with a longbow, you'll see where the enjoyment lies. The tag aspect simply means one can be assured it is helpful to the local ecological biosystem rather than being any sort of detriment. That's all.

We got a lot of meat, grease, and I got a once in a lifetime coat out of it. I've been on more than one trip of a lifetime, but matey that one takes the cake. Fuck all of that bear went to waste, I'd not have stood for it. Perhaps you didn't know but hunters around the globe are often some of the most proactive and prolific conservationists there are. You get the dickheads, of course, but myself and my friends fall into the former category.

Not a man in the party had any kind of firearm, it was a 100% trad bow hunt. You're odds of getting your wish were fair enough though.

Sure man. This dude this badass and I am hooked on his videos and what he has to say on the subject of hunting and wildlife. He even hunts for pigeons too.
Getting charged at by a mama grizzly

Getting knocked on his ass by a moose and then later eating it

Cooking bear meat in bear fat

That was good stuff man. The bear meat looked good.

Why can't you stalk an animal and not kill it? Take a photo of it to prove you stalked it. That would show you could've killed it, instead of the usual pics standing and smiling next to a dead animal.
So it's fun to land a couple of arrows into an animal and watch it go up a tree? Shoot the thing, why use a longbow? Is it some kind of 'i'm a man' thing? Getting down to basics like early mankind, or something?
You obviously do think its a manly thing and it sounds like you believe vegetarians aren't real men. It's the other way around surely?
Why would you find wounding and then killing an animal enjoyable, what part is the most enjoyable? If you are starving and live 100s of miles away from those places that sell meat, er...supermarkets and butcher shops, then it's fine.
Controlling the population, thats something a lot of tossers, i mean hunters, say.
I'm just glad i never ended up being like you!

Stalk hunt a black bear with a longbow, you'll see where the enjoyment lies. The tag aspect simply means one can be assured it is helpful to the local ecological biosystem rather than being any sort of detriment. That's all.

We got a lot of meat, grease, and I got a once in a lifetime coat out of it. I've been on more than one trip of a lifetime, but matey that one takes the cake. Fuck all of that bear went to waste, I'd not have stood for it. Perhaps you didn't know but hunters around the globe are often some of the most proactive and prolific conservationists there are. You get the dickheads, of course, but myself and my friends fall into the former category.

Not a man in the party had any kind of firearm, it was a 100% trad bow hunt. You're odds of getting your wish were fair enough though.

I always thought you were one of the better posters here but damn. My respect for you just shot way up. Hunting a bear with a bow? Fucking grimy. That's some balls you got there man

Why would you find wounding and then killing an animal enjoyable, what part is the most enjoyable? If you are starving and live 100s of miles away from those places that sell meat, er...supermarkets and butcher shops, then it's fine.
Controlling the population, thats something a lot of tossers, i mean hunters, say.

How can you be okay with buying meat from super markets but not hunting? You know animals die to get that meat right?

I always thought you were one of the better posters here but damn. My respect for you just shot way up. Hunting a bear with a bow? Fucking grimy. That's some balls you got there man

It was one of those things where when you actually get out there, you realise what the fuck you've gotten into. Overall it was a great experience but there were some hair raising moments. That being said, anyone can go and do it. Get out there, enjoy life.

Every once and a while I'll see them around my house but I've never gotten close. Think they're only aggressive if the young cubs are with them.

The guy is a dick.
You can see the bear wants a friend. He made the first move and sat down next to the man. The man could have easily started with some small talk... but , no.. he lets shit get weird and the bear walks off.
No wonder human/ bear relations are at an all time low.

Why can't you stalk an animal and not kill it? Take a photo of it to prove you stalked it. That would show you could've killed it, instead of the usual pics standing and smiling next to a dead animal.
So it's fun to land a couple of arrows into an animal and watch it go up a tree? Shoot the thing, why use a longbow? Is it some kind of 'i'm a man' thing? Getting down to basics like early mankind, or something?
You obviously do think its a manly thing and it sounds like you believe vegetarians aren't real men. It's the other way around surely?

fuck it,I'd logged out for the holidays and all but then I spied this before I went. Right point by point very quickly;

-Why can't you stalk an animal and not kill it? Take a photo of it to prove you stalked it. That would show you could've killed it, instead of the usual pics standing and smiling next to a dead animal.

Absolutely, if it were to be detrimental to the ecosystem or the long term preservation of the species. Sometimes certain species' numbers actually get to the point, very quickly, where they become a deteriment to the ecosystem themselves. Hence tags, in the place where that hunt took place. In African preservations and sanctuary parks they have culls from time to time - actually the primary source of legal stampled ivory FWIW.

- So it's fun to land a couple of arrows into an animal and watch it go up a tree? Shoot the thing, why use a longbow?

I don't think you'll see it my way on this, and that's fine as far as I am concerned because I am a person who can agree to disagree, but I personally (having bowhunted for a very fucking long time) consider bowhunting a more humane way to take game. There are a bunch of reasons for why I view i this way.

Secondly to that point, using a longbow I do subscribe to the notion Saxton Pope refers to of "participating in the ancient art of the chase" which I feel is a dignified death for the animal as well. But that's me, you may not see it the same way and that's fine.

-You obviously do think its a manly thing and it sounds like you believe vegetarians aren't real men. It's the other way around surely?

If you read my posts again, you will see I clearly state I am more than happy to accomodate vegetarians at events I host. I have no issue with what you wish to eat or not eat, and respect your personal sovereignty to make these choices for yourself. I consider a man to be anybody with a penis. Yes, I realise even this is a controversial opinion nowadays but for fuck's sake I'm trying to get away for a holiday here. Have penis = man. Eat or don't eat something = I don't give a fuck, it's your choice.

-Why would you find wounding and then killing an animal enjoyable, what part is the most enjoyable? If you are starving and live 100s of miles away from those places that sell meat, er...supermarkets and butcher shops, then it's fine.

I've worked in abbatoirs and slaughterhouses for a long time when I was younger. I personally have no qualms with store bought meat, but honestly ethically I don't think you have any kind of an argument vs. the chase.

-

It's something all conservation organisations and societies say. In fact, it's something most people that don't have brain damage or an extra chromosome say. You know why? Because it's plain fucking fact matey.

Have you seen what happens, for example, in game sanctuaries in Africa when elephants go on rogue stampedes due to the population not being culled off? Have you seen the long term aftermath on the ecosystem?

Now, I personally don't give a fuck if you want to listen to Rise Against and wear vegan shoes... But you really need to take a look at what the fuck the results would be if you were somehow actually able to forcibly manipulate society to conform to the opinions you are shouting right now.

"In ancient times bears were considered equal with men."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back