Anyone buy a Gaming PC or desktop PC from Costco?

Hoping you guys can help me out. So I ended up getting a $1,000 BestBuy gift card for XMas. I wanted to get the gaming computer from Costco but it looks like it'll have to be from BestBuy. I don't think BestBuy will refund gift cards.

I'm looking at spending $1,000 to $1,500 for the computer. I'd like to stay closer to $1,000. It's to have something new and fast since my current computer will probably fail in the next year. The only computer game I have time to play is Baldur's Gate occasionally. Although I think I'll pick up Wasteland 2. And load Command and Conquer if it works.

A few questions:

1) Should I even bother with getting a PC from their gaming category or just a regular PC?
As mnickerson or Blayt or someone else commented above, if the only games you play are Baldur's Gate and Command and Conquer, then you can just snag a regular PC with an Intel i3 or better. The current onboard graphics will be able to handle it.

The primary difference is that gaming PC's include a powerful discrete GPU (i.e. standalone video card separate from the CPU). This card is one of the most expensive-- often the most expensive-- component in the PC. That's why gaming PC's tend to cost more. They also tend to use higher quality components.
2) What brand? They have:
  • Alienware(9)
  • CyberPowerPC(16)
  • Asus(13)
  • iBUYPOWER(36)
  • HP(11)
  • Acer(6)
  • Dell(2)
  • MSI(4)
  • CybertronPC(76)
  • Oculus(4)
  • Lenovo(2)
Alienware is the most consistently high quality of those, but it's notoriously overpriced. Asus and MSI might stand out just a smidge above the rest for gaming unit reputation. The rest are all about equal: a mixed bag. What your choice will really be about is which parts are used from build to build, and how much that costs, rather than brand name vs. brand name.
3) How much RAM do I need? I guess I only use the computer for browsing the internet, downloading photos from my camera, and playing Baldur's Gate when I have some rare free time. I have an XBox One for gaming.
8GB is all you need. 16GB is probably what you want. 32GB is definitely overkill for gaming or general use, but if you spend a ton of time editing home videos or converting media or stuff like that, then it will pay dividends.
4) How much video card RAM do I need?
For Baldur's Gate and Command & Conquer? Virtually none. They probably require half a GB or less. For a modern dedicated gaming PC 4GB+ of GDDR5 or GDDR5X is definitely desirable.
The cheaper one is a stronger deal. It's $250 cheaper and takes the i5-6400 (vs. i7-6700), 8GB of RAM (vs. 16GB), 1TB HDD (vs. 2TB). That's ~$180-$225 for the value of those differences if you seek market lows depending on how you figure it.
6) Can you recommend a monitor? My current all-in-one computer/monitor is 22" diagonally. I don't like curved monitors and don't need 3D.

Thanks for your help.
This is the only resource you'll ever need for gaming monitors:
http://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor-2016/
EDIT: I should mention my current computer was bought in 2008 and is a HP 600-1120 all-in-one with Windows 7. i3 processor at 2.13 GHz. 4GB RAM. Integrated video card.
Yeah, that's serviceable, but still a piece of shit by today's standards. 4GB of RAM is plenty. The problem is its speed.

As mnickerson or Blayt or someone else commented above, if the only games you play are Baldur's Gate and Command and Conquer, then you can just snag a regular PC with an Intel i3 or better. The current onboard graphics will be able to handle it.

The primary difference is that gaming PC's include a powerful discrete GPU (i.e. standalone video card separate from the CPU). This card is one of the most expensive-- often the most expensive-- component in the PC. That's why gaming PC's tend to cost more. They also tend to use higher quality components.

Alienware is the most consistently high quality of those, but it's notoriously overpriced. Asus and MSI might stand out just a smidge above the rest for gaming unit reputation. The rest are all about equal: a mixed bag. What your choice will really be about is which parts are used from build to build, and how much that costs, rather than brand name vs. brand name.

8GB is all you need. 16GB is probably what you want. 32GB is definitely overkill for gaming or general use, but if you spend a ton of time editing home videos or converting media or stuff like that, then it will pay dividends.

For Baldur's Gate and Command & Conquer? Virtually none. They probably require half a GB or less. For a modern dedicated gaming PC 4GB+ of GDDR5 or GDDR5X is definitely desirable.

The cheaper one is a stronger deal. It's $250 cheaper and takes the i5-6400 (vs. i7-6700), 8GB of RAM (vs. 16GB), 1TB HDD (vs. 2TB). That's ~$180-$225 for the value of those differences if you seek market lows depending on how you figure it.

This is the only resource you'll ever need for gaming monitors:
http://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor-2016/

Yeah, that's serviceable, but still a piece of shit by today's standards. 4GB of RAM is plenty. The problem is its speed.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I appreciate the help. I have a tendency to go back and forth on a lot so now I'm looking at these two:

http://www.costco.com/Acer-Predator...ore-i7---8GB-Graphics-.product.100319640.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen...-hard-drive-jet-black/5655348.p?skuId=5655348

It sounds like they're both overkill but it'd be nice to have something last a while.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the info. I appreciate the help. I have a tendency to go back and forth on a lot so now I'm looking at these two:

http://www.costco.com/Acer-Predator...ore-i7---8GB-Graphics-.product.100319640.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen...-hard-drive-jet-black/5655348.p?skuId=5655348

It sounds like they're both overkill but it'd be nice to have something last a while.
The Acer Predator at Costco is the easy winner. It takes the GTX 1070 (vs. GTX 1080), i7-6700 (vs. i7-6700K), 1TB HDD (vs. 2TB) while adding more RAM with 32GB (vs. 16GB), and still managing to shave off a whopping $480.
I'd pass on both. Acer and HP are lower quality brands.
Yeah, $1.3K may be a bit much to pay for an Acer, but it's probably not much different than IBP or CPPC or these other brands. I'd just double check model reviews on Amazon and elsewhere to figure which are lemons and which are lemonade. Seems to be holding up okay so far, and take notice that Costco is beating Amazon by an impressive $200:
www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-AG3-710-UR53-Desktop-Windows/dp/B01M10WM8L?th=1

Maybe not the best deal I've seen this holiday season, but it's not too far off. I think we saw a roughly identical build without the SSD, but maybe twice the space, a 2TB HDD, and half the RAM, 16GB, but for $1049. Hmmm...maybe it did have a 128GB SSD. I'm foggy. Anyways, whatever, I'm talking about the top blowout sale I saw during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Otherwise, I don't know about the value here, I haven't crunched the numbers. The build is still serious overkill for Baldur's Gate.

The Acer Predator at Costco is the easy winner. It takes the GTX 1070 (vs. GTX 1080), i7-6700 (vs. i7-6700K), 1TB HDD (vs. 2TB) while adding more RAM with 32GB (vs. 16GB), and still managing to shave off a whopping $480.

Yeah, $1.3K may be a bit much to pay for an Acer, but it's probably not much different than IBP or CPPC or these other brands. I'd just double check model reviews on Amazon and elsewhere to figure which are lemons and which are lemonade. Seems to be holding up okay so far, and take notice that Costco is beating Amazon by an impressive $200:
www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-AG3-710-UR53-Desktop-Windows/dp/B01M10WM8L?th=1

Maybe not the best deal I've seen this holiday season, but it's not too far off. I think we saw a roughly identical build without the SSD, but maybe twice the space, a 2TB HDD, and half the RAM, 16GB, but for $1049. Hmmm...maybe it did have a 128GB SSD. I'm foggy. Anyways, whatever, I'm talking about the top blowout sale I saw during Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Otherwise, I don't know about the value here, I haven't crunched the numbers. The build is still serious overkill for Baldur's Gate.
Ibuypower has one with similar specs for the same price. I'd go ibuy or cpcc over Acer any day.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypow...-hard-drive-black-red/5600303.p?skuId=5600303

And that Acer case
16Jvx_s-200x150.gif

Do you guys know if a new intel chip or NVIDIA graphics card is coming out soon? I'm wondering in case something higher than an i7 or NVIDIA 1080 comes out that will drop prices on lower chips/cards. Anyone know? Thanks.

More than likely at 1080ti card will get released by Nvidia this spring/summer (with a high price tag to match) but I wouldn't expect a new line of cards until next year.

Processors are in a pretty good place now because a new one should last you 5+ years. I'm still using an overclocked i5 2500K and don't feel the need to upgrade just yet.

Do you guys know if a new intel chip or NVIDIA graphics card is coming out soon? I'm wondering in case something higher than an i7 or NVIDIA 1080 comes out that will drop prices on lower chips/cards. Anyone know? Thanks.
Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen are supposed to be out end of 1rst quarter next year.
Prices for intel cpu's don't drop when the next gen comes out.

Just wanted to add if you're a big Baldur's Gate II/isometric rpg fan, there are some great rpgs that have come out on PC in the last couple years like Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Divinity: Original Sin, a new Planscape gaming releasing in February and probably some more I'm forgetting right now.

Just wanted to add if you're a big Baldur's Gate II/isometric rpg fan, there are some great rpgs that have come out on PC in the last couple years like Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Divinity: Original Sin, a new Planscape gaming releasing in February and probably some more I'm forgetting right now.

Thanks for this. I didn't know about any of those games. Probably because I'm so out of it lol. They all look really cool.

So I definitely went overkill but this should last me for the next eight years. This is what I got:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen...=5623999&productCategoryId=pcmcat748301724422

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-24-led-fhd-monitor-black/8767099.p?skuId=8767099

I'm also thinking of getting a new router to go with the new system. My current and old router is a Linksys E2000 dual band from 2008. I'm thinking of getting this:

http://www.costco.com/Netgear-Orbi-AC3000-Tri-band-WiFi-System.product.100318832.html

Thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Please forgive my silly questions, but will I need to buy a cable for my monitor? This is what says is in the box:

What's in the box
  • ASUS VG248QE LED Full HD Monitor
  • Dual-link DVI Cable
  • Audio Cord
  • Power Cord
  • Quick Starter Guide
  • Warranty Information Card
If I need a cable, what kind? Thanks everyone.

Back