Anyone buy a Gaming PC or desktop PC from Costco?

They have some Ok deals, but you also get your warranty doubled. Also there concierge service is awesome. They will handle issues you have with manufacturers. I got Costco to exchange my old defective 5 year old lcd projection TV, for a brand new 60" plasma, when Panasonic was jerking me around with a warranty issue. Can't beat the customer service. Sometimes its better to spend a little extra, to know you'll be protected.

Build your own. As someone who has owned 2 prebuilts and 1 I made myself. My own build has lasted longer than the other 2 combined. It can be a daunting task but there's loads of info on the internet on how to build your own pc. I actually had a lot of fun researching what to do, how to put it together and learned a lot more about PCs than if I just bought a prebuilt one. As noted above, prebuilt computers have shit power supplies. The ps is the lifeblood of your PC so don't skimp on it. Also, if you build your own you can choose your own sleek case that doesn't look like a mid 90s Moutain Dew Extreeeeeeme gaming case. Corsair, Lian-Li, NZXT, Fractal Design all make amazing cases that look great.

If you're only getting one to play Baldur's Gate (amazing game series! :D), then you definitely don't need to spend more than a few hundred bucks. That game runs on tablets.

Wow, that is a good deal. Can you open that case up and upgrade it though? I don't like that it has no SSD though. Also in the last picture, is that that Asus GPU docking station??
It can be upgraded and that's the power supply.

Price yours at iBuyPower or cyberpowerpc. Then try to find something similar for much cheaper.

If you're not confident in your PC building skills, don't do it.

I am the type of person that stresses so hard over making sure I get it right that it's just not worth the savings to me. Too old. I got terrible luck and become clumsy at the worst possible moment.

Especially considering the size. It's not much bigger than a ps4 pro.
13.4 x 14.1 x 4.1 vs 12.9 x 11.6 x 2.17
I think it's a pretty good price and a nice tower.
You should be good to go for max settings HD gaming for some time.

I was considering getting a gaming PC for at least 5years. My cheapness would always talk me out of getting one at the last second. Well I got one this year, and I fucking love it... And of course I was asking myself, "why didn't I do this earlier?" Zero regrets.

Wow, Costco sold out of all of their gaming PCs and now they're all gone from the website. Oh well, they'll restock soon I'm sure. Also, the reason I want to buy from Costco is that I'd have a 4 year warranty for free.

I think it's a pretty good price and a nice tower.
You should be good to go for max settings HD gaming for some time.

I was considering getting a gaming PC for at least 5years. My cheapness would always talk me out of getting one at the last second. Well I got one this year, and I fucking love it... And of course I was asking myself, "why didn't I do this earlier?" Zero regrets.

Couple years ago I got a gaming pc from cyberpowerpc. Still running like a champ, have only needed to upgrade the video card (just to a 970, not doing anything crazy [i got the pc literally a month before the 900s came out lol])

Hoping you guys can help me out. So I ended up getting a $1,000 BestBuy gift card for XMas. I wanted to get the gaming computer from Costco but it looks like it'll have to be from BestBuy. I don't think BestBuy will refund gift cards.

I'm looking at spending $1,000 to $1,500 for the computer. I'd like to stay closer to $1,000. It's to have something new and fast since my current computer will probably fail in the next year. The only computer game I have time to play is Baldur's Gate occasionally. Although I think I'll pick up Wasteland 2. And load Command and Conquer if it works.

A few questions:

1) Should I even bother with getting a PC from their gaming category or just a regular PC?

2) What brand? They have:

• Alienware(9)
  • CyberPowerPC(16)
  • Asus(13)
  • iBUYPOWER(36)
  • HP(11)
  • Acer(6)
  • Dell(2)
  • MSI(4)
  • CybertronPC(76)
  • Oculus(4)
  • Lenovo(2)
3) How much RAM do I need? I guess I only use the computer for browsing the internet, downloading photos from my camera, and playing Baldur's Gate when I have some rare free time. I have an XBox One for gaming.

4) How much video card RAM do I need?

5) I think this one looks cool. Thoughts? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypow...-hard-drive-black-red/5600303.p?skuId=5600303

EDIT: This one is cheaper and is the look I like: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypow...-hard-drive-black-red/5600301.p?skuId=5600301

6) Can you recommend a monitor? My current all-in-one computer/monitor is 22" diagonally. I don't like curved monitors and don't need 3D.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I should mention my current computer was bought in 2008 and is a HP 600-1120 all-in-one with Windows 7. i3 processor at 2.13 GHz. 4GB RAM. Integrated video card.

Last edited:
The requirements for the games you're looking at are pretty low, $1000 will be way more than you need but at that price point you'll be able to play almost any AAA title @1080p 60fps.
Look for something with an intel i5 or i7 processor., any model in those lines should work.
Video card wise look for either an Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1070, AMD RX470 or RX480.
This is sold out, but would be able to do the job
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...hard-drive-black-blue/5641629.p?skuId=5641629
Someone else should be able to recommend a monitor @Madmick

I agree on that case, that's a bad looking mofo.
5600301_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

The requirements for the games you're looking at are pretty low, $1000 will be way more than you need but at that price point you'll be able to play almost any AAA title @1080p 60fps.
Look for something with an intel i5 or i7 processor., any model in those lines should work.
Video card wise look for either an Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1070, AMD RX470 or RX480.
This is sold out, but would be able to do the job
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpo...hard-drive-black-blue/5641629.p?skuId=5641629
Someone else should be able to recommend a monitor @Madmick

I agree on that case, that's a bad looking mofo.
5600301_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

Thanks for your help.

Anyone have any Best Buy coupons? Like a 10% off code?

Can someone please tell me which computer brand will be the most reliable? I'd like my computer to last 8 years like my HP has done so far. I need to think about reliability before the looks of the case.

• HP
  • Dell
  • Lenovo
  • CyberPowerPC
  • Asus
  • Acer
  • iBUYPOWER
  • Alienware
  • CybertronPC
  • MSI
  • Samsung
Thanks.

This one for sure, the price difference and performance boost is well, well worth the extra $50.

Can someone please tell me which computer brand will be the most reliable? I'd like my computer to last 8 years like my HP has done so far. I need to think about reliability before the looks of the case.

• HP
  • Dell
  • Lenovo
  • CyberPowerPC
  • Asus
  • Acer
  • iBUYPOWER
  • Alienware
  • CybertronPC
  • MSI
  • Samsung
Thanks.

Ones in red are usually a safe bet for quality, the others can be a crap shoot.

A few differences on the market right now you could argue if you went bottom billing:
  • $160 = 32GB DDR4 RAM (-$40)
  • $65 = 240GB SSD (-$35)
  • $50 = 2TB HDD (-$30)
  • $15 = DVD-RW (-$25)
  • $75 = PSU ($-25)
  • Total = -$155
$70 for the case, $100 for the motherboard, and $40 for the KB+M combo all also seem a touch high, but they might not be, and it's impossible for me to presume. I find it highly unlikely that you could save more than $50 from what he has allotted above on all three combined. So I could see myself down-valuing his appraisal to $1825 with all of that. Nevertheless, the cost of liquid cooling has been overlooked. That will add ~$50 back at least.

I'd say just about any way you slice it this is a $1,900+ machine on raw parts & OS software alone. One could quibble about overkill for a gamer build with the RAM and the "Pro" licensing, but it's not like downgrading those makes up the ~$275+ advantage over the market price, so why fret that you cannot downgrade?

If Madmick calls it a good deal, it's a pretty damn good deal.

Never expected CostCo would have such a great outlet for a gaming PC.

This one for sure, the price difference and performance boost is well, well worth the extra $50.

Ones in red are usually a safe bet for quality, the others can be a crap shoot.

I've been reading allegations that ibuypower uses refurbished parts? Is that true?

Back