Anyone aware of the hobby lobby situation?

The law creates rights? That's backwards thinking and a symptom of very poor education if you grew up in the USA.

Yeah. I will go ahead and forward the message on to my law professors (and cc Bentham) to let them know that they all had it wrong, and some joe schmo named Old Goat knows better.

Yes but all positive right is based on natural or fundamental rights (supposedly).

You are talking positive and negative rights, correct, which still there is debate on. As depending on how it is written a right can be positive or negative.

However nowhere have I seen in the US courts where health care is a right. I

No I am not talking about positive vs negative rights. I am talking about legal positivism vs natural rights.

It may be that healthcare is not a right defined by law, but the idea that laws don't create rights in incorrect.

OK thanks I will read into this more as I need to have a better understanding of it, as I kind of know where you are going but need to read more on it.

Why does everyone nowadays feel like they are entitled to healthcare on somebody else's dime? People act like they are entitled to healthcare like Elliot Rodger was entitled to be loved by a woman.

Why does everyone nowadays feel like they are entitled to healthcare on somebody else's dime? People act like they are entitled to healthcare like Elliot Rodger was entitled to be loved by a woman.
Why does Chic-fil-A act like they are entitled to close on Sundays?
I thought this was a free country.

Why does Jesus decide what I get to eat for dinner?

I guess those Christians throughout history who have refused to pay taxes (or who have chosen voluntary poverty in order to be exempt from taxation) based on the pacifism that arises from their Christian convictions against war are as "ignorant" of this verse as the atheists. :rolleyes:

Christian pacifists opting out of paying their federal taxes, based on the argument that some of those taxes may be allocated for military purposes and therefore violate their religious convictions, has never been recognized as viable by the SC. The exact same conclusion logically follows relative to Christian employers and the purchase of employee health insurance plans that include comprehensive contraceptive coverage.

But because your version of God is cool with war but not cool with IUD's, you are OK with forcing some Christians to violate their consciences and foot the bill for bombs and bullets while not forcing certain other Christians to violate their consciences and foot the bill for MA pills.

Your position isn't based on reason, much less religious liberty. It's based on personal, selective religious bias.

I don't care what the SC says.

Jesus said to "render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's". So yeah, I'll pay my taxes if ordered to.

He never said "oh, and you should also pay for the abortions of your employees as well".

Why does Chic-fil-A act like they are entitled to close on Sundays?
I thought this was a free country.

Why does Jesus decide what I get to eat for dinner?

May God Bless Hobby Lobby and Chick-fil-a.

All the government regulations require is that the insurance their employees EARN cover medication, which may or not be birth control/abortion pills.

I don't see how this is any different than requiring them to pay taxes which may or may not be used to fund a whole list of things one may find immoral (War for example).

BTW it's not Hobby Lobbies money, it's their employees money--they earned it. Nobody gets insurance without working for it. What's next? is hobby lobby going to start paying in "tokens" that can only be spent at the company store so they can control what their employees buy?

Last edited:
The law creates rights? That's backwards thinking and a symptom of very poor education if you grew up in the USA.

Actually he's right, the law does create rights, at least in the only way that really matters.

A right that is claimed but not protected by law has little to no value, unless the claim is forced to the point where it becomes law.

Higher taxes, more regulations and requirements on many things.

He asks for specifics you say "things."

Don't forget stuff.

3624fd4b8cb94f7b0f75599dde180c0f.jpg

OK thanks I will read into this more as I need to have a better understanding of it, as I kind of know where you are going but need to read more on it.

No prob. It is an interesting topic, and one that I am by no means an expert in.

Back