Anyone aware of the hobby lobby situation?

Dontevenguess93

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is a franchise called hobby lobby that sells items for the home that is having an issue with one of the requirements of the affordable health care act (obama-care).

Long story short it looks like they are being asked to cover their employees costs of contraceptives including the morning after pill and similar emergency related items. They don't want to due to their pro-life stance.

An interesting thing to note is they are one of the more respected businesses to work for. They provide good pay (comparatively) and lots of benefits to to their employees. They also have made it abundantly clear they are willing to cover all costs of the affordable health care act besides those that interfere with their pro-life stance. There is a good chance they will shut down as a company due to this. That have about 640 stores and over 28,000 employees. What do you guys think?

"The owners of Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties don't have a problem with offering insurance that covers most forms of birth control, but they aren't willing to cover emergency contraceptives

This is one of those things that make me take a hard look at my own morality issues and what I think the government can and should do.

But haven't a fuck-load of companies found some loopholes to keep from using Obamacare?

So is pro-life a hiring stipulation there? It's a stretch to say that you have a hand in murder when you provide insurance coverage through legal obligation.

They should go farther and ask for the full medical records of all current and future employees to make sure they aren't baby killers.

So is pro-life a hiring stipulation there? It's a stretch to say that you have a hand in murder when you provide insurance coverage through legal obligation.

They should go farther and ask for the full medical records of all current and future employees to make sure they aren't baby killers.

There is no hiring stipulation. I don't believe they are interested in whether or not their employees use the day after pill and such, they had don't want to personally support it financially.

And yeah a lot of people are saying "well if their employees are buying it with their money they are still paying for it", but it's different in my opinion.

It's like you paying an employee x amount of dollars per week and he/she chooses to spend it on drugs. That doesn't mean you support drugs if it's what he/she chooses with their earned money. It's another thing to specifically allocate money to that employee to purchase drugs. Then you are supporting it. That's the way I see it.

(Btw not comparing contraception to drugs, just using an extreme example to encompass the principle)

There is no hiring stipulation. I don't believe they are interested in whether or not their employees use the day after pill and such, they had don't want to personally support it financially.

And yeah a lot of people are saying "well if their employees are buying it with their money they are still paying for it", but it's different in my opinion.

It's like you paying an employee x amount of dollars per week and he/she chooses to spend it on drugs. That doesn't mean you support drugs if it's what he/she chooses with their earned money. It's another thing to specifically allocate money to that employee to purchase drugs. Then you are supporting it. That's the way I see it.

(Btw not comparing contraception to drugs, just using an extreme example to encompass the principle)

Medical insurance often supports drug habits as well. With respect to your point, the distinction between insurance and pay is ridiculous to me in this case. Morning after pills are legal and coverage is mandatory. If you don't like it, then vote.

Sounds like an uphill legislative battle against privacy rights and perhaps they think it would set a bad precedent that might be abused for other purposes. How about just separate health insurance from employment, which is stupid anyway, and the basis for all these creepy corporatist fights in the first place.

Im with Hobby Lobby on this one. If the government can use health care reform to force them to provide abortion pills, its a very small step to being able to force them to provide abortion coverage for its employees.

If you dont like then vote, doesnt cut it. They believe their rights are being violated so they are going to court. Thats what you do.

Plan B contraceptive pills are cheap and readily available, here is Seattle they give them away free, there is no pressing need to force a company to be complicit in what they say is murder over 9 dollar pills.

Even though I have nothing against these forms of contraceptives, I'm with Hobby Lobby on this one.

Hobby Lobby is clearly in the right here. You'd have to be a extreme, blind leftist to not side with them on this.

I don't have anything against the morning after pills but I understand their objection to being made to supply them.

I support them on this and kind of admire their willingness to close down all their stores if forced into this, which they have stated they will do. It would suck for the employee's as I understand it's a good place to work.

Classic Christian rich people... Straining out gnats and swallowing camels.

"Jesus is cool with me owning a billion dollar business empire. And paying taxes that support the murder of my fellow human beings in military invasions and occupations. But he will simply not stand for my supplementing the cost of a health insurance plan that covers, among a hundred other things, an IUD."

Classic Christian rich people... Straining out gnats and swallowing camels.

"Jesus is cool with me owning a billion dollar business empire. And paying taxes that support the murder of my fellow human beings in military invasions and occupations. But he will simply not stand for my supplementing the cost of a health insurance plan that covers, among a hundred other things, an IUD."

Classic ignorant Atheist.

Our politicians and govt do not care about the constitution, religious freedom or the people of this country. They care about 1 thing. And that is the preservation of their power. Increasingly, our govt is telling us what we have to do, how to do it and when we will do it. It's sad, but our govt is our enemy now. And if you haven't found that out yet, eventually you will.

Our politicians and govt do not care about the constitution, religious freedom or the people of this country. They care about 1 thing. And that is the preservation of their power. Increasingly, our govt is telling us what we have to do, how to do it and when we will do it. It's sad, but our govt is our enemy now. And if you haven't found that out yet, eventually you will.

C'mon man. I am able to go about my business with very few constraints. There is no boogie-man. I have to go through stuff like filing taxes, paying car insurance, etc. Did you think that you would have no constraints at all? What are you proposing?

C'mon man. I am able to go about my business with very few constraints. There is no boogie-man. I have to go through stuff like filing taxes, paying car insurance, etc. Did you think that you would have no constraints at all? What are you proposing?

Every year that goes by, there are more and more constraints on us. I'm proposing a stop to it.

There was a thread awhile ago showing that the companies investment plan invests in contraception manufactures. Also, walk into a store and see everything is basically made in china. So Christian principles do business with communist china with their one child policy and persecution of religious worship. So when it comes to the bottom line they don't take a strong christian stance but if an employee wants birth control covered then Jesus takes over.

Hobby Lobby took no exception to investing millions in contraceptive- manufacturing companies through its 401k program. They directly funded the production of "baby killing" medicines and technology. Now they're playing on the whole Christian victim culture saying that can't pay for this because it goes against their religion. How could anybody take these charlatans seriously? Just frame my pictures, sell me some paints and STFU.

There was a thread awhile ago showing that the companies investment plan invests in contraception manufactures. Also, walk into a store and see everything is basically made in china. So Christian principles do business with communist china with their one child policy and persecution of religious worship. So when it comes to the bottom line they don't take a strong christian stance but if an employee wants birth control covered then Jesus takes over.

LOL
Jesus doesn't want you eating chicken or buying liquor on Sundays.
More rules, less freedom.

Thanks religioncare

Back