anybody stocking up on ammo?

Is this corrosive shit even worth the savings if I gotta fight rust problems in my AK47? How real a threat is the rust stuff in an ak47? Im starting to think I should just spend a few more bucks and shoot the non corrosive wolf? Any info is appreciated.

Corrosive ammo isn't that bad. If you use a little soapy water, it takes the salt right out. Just pour it down the barrel, etc. and use a hair dryer to help dry it out. It is a 30-45 min clean up.
Non-corrosive is easier, but you shouldn't turn a good deal down.

I know in a previous post I said I only keep about 200 rounds on hand, but I have gotten more lately. I wouldn't say I'm hoarding ammo (I've got about 400 rounds of 9mm and a box of .22), but I have decided to keep more around than I previously have.

This ammo stockpiling is getting nuts. I had to look hi and low to track down a place that actually had instock bulk wolf 7.62x39 (640/170$+shipping). I bought 3 ak mags, tapco, romanian steel, and bulgarian steel. Had to pay 538 otd for the wasr 10 last week. I wasnt happy about paying all this shit right now but im like everyone else and dont want to get caught holdin the dick in the hand when Oman bans it all.

Also had to pick up an extra 250rd UMC megapack for 58 otd. Puts me over 400rds in 9mm and im gonna try to keep adding even with range visits.

I have a bad feeling our toys will become even scarcer as the months come along.

About the corrosive stuff, I decided against it even though its cheaper. I know they used it just fine in the olden days but I want to keep this 500 machine working in perfect shape as long as possible. I also never warmed up to the idea of hosing it off or the dishwasher or shower thing. If I was military and it was uncle sams than ok but not with these prices and my own shit.

Also...

Anyone have any experience shooting the wolf 9mm stuff thru their glocks?

Im thinking about buying the 1000rd wolf pack after xmas fer the g19.

My glock works fine with the Wolf cheap stuff although thats not its regular diet.

I about hit the floor the other day. I went to buy a couple boxes of .380 and it was more expensive than .40 cal.

I am going to carry a little more than usual to insure against supply interruptions or a "sin tax" on ammo.

Also...

Anyone have any experience shooting the wolf 9mm stuff thru their glocks?

Im thinking about buying the 1000rd wolf pack after xmas fer the g19.

As long as you keep the gun clean, you won't have too many problems. Wolf is a little inconsistent (bad primers, etc), but I have used the 9mm in my guns when I had to.

Wolf is fine, just don't trust your life to it. Plus accuracy with the stuff can be all over the place.

Apparently the inventors of this etching technique are introducing all this legislation so their invention will be necessary thus making them loads of money. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.
If states pass the legislation, manufacturers will be required to laser etch a serial number into the back of each bullet and the inside of cartridge casings, a patented process developed by Seattle, Wash., resident Russ Ford and his business partners, Steve Mace and John Knickerbocker.
According to Seattle Weekly, the men couldn't find an ammunition manufacturer to agree to stamp bullets, so they hired a lobbyist to push for state legislation to require the laser coding. They launched the Ammunition Accountability website and successfully introduced bills in the following 18 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee and Washington.

This sucks:
Ammunition Accountability explains its system would require states to establish databases to track coded ammunition for handguns and assault rifles. The databases would be funded by a surcharge of up to five cents per bullet.

And I love how I'm assumed to be a "potential criminal" because I purchase 9mm ammunition.
"[W]hen a potential criminal purchases a box of 9mm cartridges, the box of ammunition and the bullets' coding numbers would be connected to the purchaser in a statewide database," Ammunition Accountability explains.

Apparently the inventors of this etching technique are introducing all this legislation so their invention will be necessary thus making them loads of money. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

This sucks:

And I love how I'm assumed to be a "potential criminal" because I purchase 9mm ammunition.

I just hope everyone is paying attention. I know the NRA likes to act like Chicken Little crying the sky is falling...but they're right.

I am stocking up on ammo for the impending Zombie Apocolaypse.

i just watched the new zombie movie and all i can think about is what i would do.

oh, ive been there before, some guys helped me out with my zombie contingency plan.

its actually quite complex, overall took 4 hours to make.

Everybody needs a zombie contingency plan. I mean, if you're prepared for an invasion by the living dead, you're prepared for pretty much anything.

Learn how to reload, it'll save you a shit load of money. Plus, you can curtail your loads to your guns and make up some nasty shells.

So my GF's father bought me a hand press, .40 cal dies, powder, 100 lead rounds, 100 brass Winchester casings and 100 primers.

It really didn't take me that long to figure out how to reload a round but it seems the different recipes for round type and powder could take a while to figure out. After doing the math it seems like the .40 cal rounds reloaded will save me a lot.

Anybody reload 7.62X39mm ammo? Is it worth the time for the dollars you would save?

I don't right now, but I've been thinking of reloading 7.62x39. I usually buy Wolf, Golden Tiger, etc., but it's really gone up in price. The brass is expensive, especially if you get it new. I just bought 4,000 rounds of Winchester 5.56 brass, once fired, for $65 per 1,000. If you buy it new, it's $200 per 1,000. With the 7.62x39, it's almost impossible to find used brass, as most people shoot the steel cased Wolf, etc.

You can check out the prices on Midway (MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes) and figure out if it would save you money. In the long run it does, it just depends on how much you shoot.

So my GF's father bought me a hand press, .40 cal dies, powder, 100 lead rounds, 100 brass Winchester casings and 100 primers.

It really didn't take me that long to figure out how to reload a round but it seems the different recipes for round type and powder could take a while to figure out. After doing the math it seems like the .40 cal rounds reloaded will save me a lot.

Anybody reload 7.62X39mm ammo? Is it worth the time for the dollars you would save?

I took a reloading class a few months ago and it was a big help. I think a handloader or single stage press is great to start out with... makes you take your time. I am only reloading 38 and 357 mag. I still buy my 9mm and AK ammo from the stores. The price of AK ammo (7.62 x 39) has gone through the roof. I bought a case for $195 a few months ago and now I am seeing $280+ with most places not even in stock. I wish I would have bought more a few months ago.

I just saw that bulk .45 ammo is holding to pre-election prices, surprisingly (at least, where I shop, ammoman.com).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back