Anybody else annoyed at fights always being held in Vegas

Nope

I'd be happy though if they started the cards an hour earlier

The fuck you talmbout TS? I've been to 3 UFC events live.

UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany, UFC 145 in Atlanta, and UFC on Fox 13 in Phoenix

All dope shows not located in Las Vegas....

mgm pays the ufc to host the fight in las vegas. mgm can then recuperate the cost through hotel bookings, food & beverage, and gambling from the attendees.

Arlington is starting to pop off now, shoulda been a mega card here or UFC 200.

Yea I get you TS, it bothers me a little.

I understand why they do it though. Vegas has the infrastructure too handle huge crowds with their large amount of hotels and restaurants while be located right next to the airport.

What bothers me is that it seems like every big fight is there now. There was a time when they spread them out a little. Remember GSP vs. Shields at the baseball stadium in Toronto? We just don't get anything like that any more.

Fuck, I'd pay for a bader vs OSP type card if they came to Salt Lake City

Also Vegas is opening a new arena that will seat close to 20,000. I'm not sure if this is in the new one, but my guess is it will be.

Yea I get you TS, it bothers me a little.

I understand why they do it though. Vegas has the infrastructure too handle huge crowds with their large amount of hotels and restaurants while be located right next to the airport.

What bothers me is that it seems like every big fight is there now. There was a time when they spread them out a little. Remember GSP vs. Shields at the baseball stadium in Toronto? We just don't get anything like that any more.

This is kind of my point. Canada seems to have gotten the shaft as of late and a few other places too. I live in the U.S. but just annoys me how it seems like the big ones are usually in Vegas. And no I don't need someone to print out a big card that wasn't in Vegas

I wish they'd do another show in Sacramento, I need a dose of RHSG.

I agree there are far better crowds in some of these foreign cities, but I'm sure the UFC keeps going with Vegas out of convenience.

There was a scrum a while back where Dana talked about how impressed he was with the executive they have running shit for Zuffa in Europe, and all this shit about how the guy got them into this country, and was working on getting them into that country. Up to that point, I had assumed that if they wanted to do a show somewhere, they could just snap their fingers and make it happen, but apparently there is a lot of groundwork that needs to be laid any time they go into one of these new or seldom-used markets. Dana was also saying that they wanted to get into some other country, but that the upper echelon at Zuffa was stretched too thin to make it happen.

The one thing that does annoy me is that they keep using Chicago for the Fox cards. Those Chicago tards are some of the worst MMA fans, booing anything ground related. Fuck them.

Ya it absolutely sucks. Especially when they lie constantly with how they're gonna bring a good one to Calgary and how if it's not legal in NY by the end of the year a big one will be in Calgary.....

Yes they said December would be Calgary (Saskatoon making that up?) if not NYC and they keep fucking Toronto over for the past 2 years now we gotta wait till sometime next year. I would not mind a Fight Night in Southern Ontario area though if they can't get a PPV back here. Brazil also has way too many cards this year. I was also at 156 at Mandalay Bay and it was great but they really need to keep branching out instead of sticking to Vegas and Brazil.

Last edited:
Vegas is out of convenience as much as anything else. UFC headquarters is a few blocks off the strip.

I do wish there was more variety in their locations, but I understand why they hold so many in Vegas.

Vegas hotels make a tremendous amount of money from ancillary spending when UFC events take place. Alcohol, gambling and hotel rooms in a single location means they have revenue streams for days or even a week or more on top of the actual fight day earnings.

This means that a Vegas venue like MGM can essentially underbid normal venues.

A location like a dedicated arena or stadium is going to have a set price that assumes a certain level of revenue from tickets, concessions, food and merchandise sales. However, they know that they'll only make money from the fight day itself.

Meanwhile, MGM can essentially offer the UFC a location at break even or even as a loss leader due to the revenue from the week leading up to the fight.

If you're the UFC, you'll generally make the most profit somewhere like Vegas paying cheaper venue rental prices unless you can fill a location and make up the difference on volume or ticket prices.

All those places you believe that are "starving for fights" aren't necessarily as hungry as you think. Sure, you can find people who say they want to see a UFC event all over the world, but when you ask them to buy tickets at the same prices they are able to sell out arenas in Vegas for, it's another story entirely.

Vegas is a unique place, in that it is historically where the big fights happen, and it is constantly full of tourists loaded with money to spend. Among that huge population base of tourists who are constantly replenishing themselves, there are always thousands who are willing to shell out a few hundred bucks per ticket as part of the Vegas experience. You don't find that anywhere else.

I hate the time of the fights more than the location.

My PPV times are 10pm-1am...Many times, come midnight to 1 am, I am pretty trashed...Thats why I usually try to hold off on partying till like 8-9 pm, but that can be hard at times...

Not really, but it would be nice to have big events elsewhere in the states

Vegas main cards are almost always airing after midnight in Brazil.. But even the Brazil cards are scheduled late as well.

It's not about whether other cities 'deserve' a show, it's about trying to grow your market.

Sure, holding all the big shows in Vegas is easy and comfortable and probably more profitable in the near term, but it's also short sighted.

To grow revenue you need to grow the fan base and one way to do that is to have shows in new places and reach new people.

Like the last 5 cards that were held in Brazil, Scotland, Chicago, San Diego and Nashville?

10 of the last 12 cards were held somewhere other than Vegas.

People never let facts get in the way of their arguments.

In 2014 there were 47 events.

7 of them were in Vegas. Less than 15%

Last edited:
Back