Anybody else annoyed at fights always being held in Vegas

It's not about whether other cities 'deserve' a show, it's about trying to grow your market.

Sure, holding all the big shows in Vegas is easy and comfortable and probably more profitable in the near term, but it's also short sighted.

To grow revenue you need to grow the fan base and one way to do that is to have shows in new places and reach new people.

I think that's the intention with the Fight Night cards They're like UFC regional shows that they can hold in lower profile locations, while they save the big shows for major locations.

10-15 PPV's in major markets, and the Fight Night cards can be spread around. Like they just held fight night in Nashville... a decent city, but clearly not a sprawling metropolis.

Unfortunately they have a lot more cities than shows to go around so the smaller cities in less lucrative market like Calgary are going to be lower on the hit list.

Not annoyed at all. If I have to travel to see a UFC card, that's where I want to go.

I think that's the intention with the Fight Night cards They're like UFC regional shows that they can hold in lower profile locations

But that's the thing, you aren't going to generate much excitement holding garbage events (relatively speaking) in these places. Sometimes you need to give them big shows that will get people hyped and draw in new people. Hoarding all the good stuff for Vegas just seems self-limiting.

People never let facts get in the way of their arguments.

In 2014 there were 47 events.

7 of them were in Vegas. Less than 15%

Nobody cares about Fight Night and TUF finale events.

in 2014 there were 13 main events

10 of those were in the US

of those in the US, HALF were in Vegas

UFC 169 - Barao vs. Faber 2 - Newark, New Jersey
UFC 170 - Rousey vs. McMann - Las Vegas, Nevada
UFC 171 - Hendricks vs. Lawler - Dallas, Texas
UFC 172 - Jones vs. Teixeira - Baltimore, Maryland
UFC 173 - Barao vs. Dillashaw - Las Vegas, Nevada
UFC 174 - Johnson vs. Bagautinov - Vancouver
UFC 175 - Weidman vs. Machida - Las Vegas, Nevada
UFC 176 - cancelled (would have been Los Angeles, California)
UFC 177 - Dillashaw vs. Soto - Sacramento, California
UFC 178 - Johnson vs. Cariaso - Las Vegas, Nevada
UFC 179 - Aldo vs. Mendes 2 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
UFC 180 - Werdum vs. Hunt - Mexico City
UFC 181 - Hendricks vs. Lawler 2 - Las Vegas, Nevada

Outside of Vegas, there was 1 Texas, 2 California, 1 Maryland and 1 New Jersey event, which leaves huge regions of the country with nothing.

Nothing in the southeast, nothing in the midwest, nothing in the pacific northwest

Like someone else said...I end up watching it on TV so it doesn't matter, as long as the camera work is good.

But as far as the venue, I've been to 3 fights. One in Portland, one in Seattle and one in Vegas. The Vegas one was the best because I could actually watch the fight in the cage. The others were so big that you were pretty much watching the screen the entire time.

Nobody cares about Fight Night and TUF finale events.

in 2014 there were 13 main events
Outside of Vegas, there was 1 Texas, 2 California, 1 Maryland and 1 New Jersey event, which leaves huge regions of the country with nothing.

Nothing in the southeast, nothing in the midwest, nothing in the pacific northwest

Yeah. And we're the only ones that have to pay for the PPV's.

So boo hoo.

The US has supported the PPV model forever.....so it makes more sense to hold the PPVs in the US. The UFC is a Vegas based company.

I don't bitch about OneFC not holding events in the US.

Not at all. I got to 2-3 events a year and Vegas is an easy location to take in a fight. He arena is close to all the hotels. There is plenty to do, and it makes meeting fights easy. The UFC also charges a premium for Vegas event so it's easier all around.

Having fights in Vegas simply makes sense. The UFC is based out of Vegas so it is obviously easier for them to host and organize fights there.

Vegas has very good infrastructure for hosting large events. There are plenty of arenas and hotels for guests. Often fighters and their teams can stay in the same venue where they are fighting which makes life easy.

Vegas is a major tourist destination with cheap flights from all over the world. Therefore by having fights in Vegas there is always new people there to go see the fights, basically the world comes to them.

I am. Mostly because Vegas has one of the most shady Athletic Commissions. Weird stuff always seems to happen there.

Back