Any word on Andre Ward?

Is Sergi gonna come down to Ward? Ward said he can't/won't go up.
Ward can't go to 175? I don't like to call a great fighter afraid but what is the real reason?

Nothing left to accomplish at 168. Froch doesn't want to fight him, Jr wants Froch or Gennady next.

Ward can't go to 175? I don't like to call a great fighter afraid but what is the real reason?

Nothing left to accomplish at 168. Froch doesn't want to fight him, Jr wants Froch or Gennady next.

THat what Ward said. That he is Not a LHW.

Never really know what youll get with Chavez, but he seems like a more versatile fighter than Kovalev to me.

that's the line i'd use to describe kovalev actually.

he's still an unknown quantity at the moment and we're yet to see what could trouble him in the ring . we can't just assume that he can't fight backing up , or that he can't deal with a pure boxer etc....
there is also the question of how ward will look at 175.

chavez on the other hand ? dude looked like shit in the majority of his world level fights ( martinez, zbik , rubio , vera ..) and has already been soundly beaten and outworked by smaller, and lesser opponents than ward.

that's the line i'd use to describe kovalev actually.

he's still an unknown quantity at the moment and we're yet to see what could trouble him in the ring . we can't just assume that he can't fight backing up , or that he can't deal with a pure boxer etc....
there is also the question of how ward will look at 175.

chavez on the other hand ? dude looked like shit in the majority of his world level fights ( martinez, zbik , rubio , vera ..) and has already been soundly beaten and outworked by smaller, and lesser opponents than ward.

Part of that may be why Ward isnt very interested, when he mentioned no one will care if he beats Kovalev.

Big Fights? What Big Fights?

Are you saying that Kov is a bigger star than Jr.

I don't think Ward is selling PPVs, no matter who he fights.

But, I'll bet HBO would be just as excited to make Kovalev vs Ward as any fight.

Ward needs to realize that hemay not get everything handed to him. Even Floyd and Pac, who have 1000x times more pull in the sport have to make concessions. Pac came up to fight Oscar and it made him a superstar. Floyd needed a fight so he went to JMW to fight Cotto and Canelo.

There's nothing at 168 for Ward that anyone cares about. This should have been apparent when the best fight he could get was Edwin Rodriguez and they had to pay him(rodriguez) WAAAAAY more than he was worth to make that fight.

I think beating Jr does 10x more him than beating Kov. It makes him more money and more star power.

And i don't see HBO paying him as much to fight Kov than Jr. Yes HBO would be happy to make the fight but that has more do with Stevenson leaving. HBo would be just as happy to make Froch rematch. So why not have Ward press that fight too. It would sell big overseas. And regardless of what has happened, i think Ward would travel overseas for the right money.

Chavez is the bigger draw. That is why Ward wants him.

No big secret there. Im all for seeing the Kov or Adonis fights though, if the money is there he would take them.

Ward is same size fight night that Kovalev is since Kovalev dont cut much weight.

Ward is same size fight night that Kovalev is since Kovalev dont cut much weight.

So then Kovalev can cut a few extra pounds and make 168 without being weight drained.

Last edited:
I don't think Ward is selling PPVs, no matter who he fights.

But, I'll bet HBO would be just as excited to make Kovalev vs Ward as any fight.

Ward needs to realize that hemay not get everything handed to him. Even Floyd and Pac, who have 1000x times more pull in the sport have to make concessions. Pac came up to fight Oscar and it made him a superstar. Floyd needed a fight so he went to JMW to fight Cotto and Canelo.

There's nothing at 168 for Ward that anyone cares about. This should have been apparent when the best fight he could get was Edwin Rodriguez and they had to pay him(rodriguez) WAAAAAY more than he was worth to make that fight.

It should be obvious but the wars fanatics are the same as the Rigo ones.

They only listen to what they want to hear.

Pot meet Kettle.

So then Kovalev can cut a few extra pounds and make 168 with being weight drained.

or maybe ward can make a tiny effort and get out of his confort zone for once?

Chavez is the bigger draw. That is why Ward wants him.

No big secret there. Im all for seeing the Kov or Adonis fights though, if the money is there he would take them.

but chavez doesn't want to fight him .

team JCC jr made it clear that GGG and froch are their priority .

but chavez doesn't want to fight him .

team JCC jr made it clear that GGG and froch are their priority .

Im aware.

Ward wants GGG also, after he said he was ready for anyone, but that isnt happening either.

I really dont give a shit who he fights at this point he just needs to fight.

or maybe ward can make a tiny effort and get out of his confort zone for once?

I think for Big money he would but if he is gonna make the same money he has been making, he might as well stay where he is at.

Im aware.

Ward wants GGG also, after he said he was ready for anyone, but that isnt happening either.

another problem for ward is that HBO doesn't want to pay for " tune ups " and gime fights .

froch ? doesn't want to fight him .
golovkin ? has a plethora of big fights sans ward : the winner of cotto-martinez , canelo , froch , chavez .
chavez ? same thing as golovkin .
the other beltholder at 168 ? a showtime fighter.

what's to be done then ? wait for chavez until late 2015/early 2016 ?

the way i see it is that the kovalev fight is the only thing that makes sense at the moment :
- the opponent already called him out.
- the opponent has a belt .
- the opponent is backed by the same network as ward.
- the network will probably end up overpaing for this fight and ward could net a career-high payday.

he has no other options in the foreseeable future.

Im aware.

Clinch shots may be available

Clinch shots may be available

Fairly certain he is busy trying to grab Benson's ass still.

I really wish we could have gotten the Shields sparring together with that homosexual. Would have made for epic video material to see him get mauled.

Back