Any tips on deadlifting a sandbag?

PariahCarey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to make another sandbag just for deadlifting only as the one i use for squatting is too light (although getting it into proper position is practically a work out in itself before squatting). Should i stand on something to create more space?

Should i tie ropes around it for handles? Any thoghts?

Using ropes on a sandbag to deadlift it kind of negates the effectiveness of the bag. You could use a rope around a barbell instead. Personally I don't really liked deadlifting with sandbags, I prefer shouldering them.

Don't deadlift a sandbag. shouldering is better, cleans are better, snatches are better, carries are better, throws are better... there are better ways to spend your time with a sandbag than deadlifting it.

I also get the best workout with shouldering/carrying sandbags. Or best of all, both.

When I was doing sandbag training my workout would look something like this:
Shoulder and Carry (for trips around house)
Bear Hug and Carry (for trips around house)
Put it on like a rucksack and walk (for trips around house)
Shoulder and load to platform (in this case a deck rail) for reps or time

My "course" around my yard/house involved going up/down a few stairs as well as up a slight embankment and a wooden ramp.

Shouldering and carrying a sandbag will murder your oqliques and abs.

I like to shoulder the bag and run up a hill and then throw the bag back down the hill, run down, shoulder it again and repeat. Throwing the bag is fun, just watch out for squirrels, dogs, kids etc.

Back