Any Kungfu practioners that can compete in the UFC?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know Cung did a season of tuf in regards to China and of course China has a big population and an extensive history of various styles of Kungfu or Chinese martial arts and I am wondering for those who have been following mma in China or China tuf can tell me if there are any promising practioners coming out?

I say this because, for Japanese, we have Judo and Karate being represented in mma in regards to Japanese Martial Arts but other than San Shou aka kickboxing with throws. I have not seen one Kung Fu practioners!!!

There's a few guys on the amateur circuit that are really making wave. I think their names are Lei Wulong, Rufus, and Liu Kang

there are a few san shou guys in the ufc, and that is kung fu

That is not considered kung fu. There were some long discussions on it. Cung le uses mainly TKD so he wouldn't count if san shou even did.

because of the MMA rules I doubt Kung Fu can be of any use, MMA is mainly for Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, that's the Basis of MMA. If there was a no rules competition where people can fight to the death, than I think Kung Fu might have the upper hand.

I dont know in the UFC, but it's not hard to imagine that local MMA circuits in China probably have some kungfu practitioners who transitioned to mma.

It's actually surprising no one from chinese martial arts has been making waves because karate in general got most of their stuff from chinese kempo.

Everyone throwing a punch, kick, elbow, knee, throw, takedown, submission is using kung fu.

By "Kung Fu," are you referring to the different "animal style Kung Fu" or "Drunken Kung Fu"?

Those martial arts are for looking good in the movies, but they are garbage for real fighting.

"Someone with only a year of training in boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of twenty years experience." - Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee realized the BS years ago, but it's funny how many people, who are most likely fans of his, still don't see it! :icon_chee

Notice how Bruce Lee saw things WAY ahead of his time. About 50 something years later, people starting to see how dominant and important wrestling is in MMA (e.g. Cain, Jones, Cormier, Weidman, GSP, etc.)

Last edited:
By "Kung Fu," are you referring to the different "animal style Kung Fu" or "Drunken Kung Fu"?

Those martial arts are for looking good in the movies, but they are garbage for real fighting.

"Someone with only a year of training in boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of twenty years experience." - Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee realized the BS years ago, but it's funny how many people, who are most likely fans of his, still don't see it! :icon_chee

Notice how Bruce Lee saw things WAY ahead of his time. About 50 something years later, people starting to see how dominant and important wrestling is in MMA (e.g. Cain, Jones, Cormier, Weidman, GSP, etc.)

I wonder what moves if any he actually kept from wing chun? I have never done chinese martial arts but a lot of people tell me its kung foolishness.

Larenz Larkin gets introduced as a kung-fu fighter, but he's taking some liberties there.

Matt Bishop: You have such unique striking. What would you consider your base for striking?

Lorenz Larkin: I would say I consider it kung fu. My reasoning behind that, I never studied kung fu but I've always watched it growing up, watching kung fu flicks and everything I was taught, I always tried to throw it different. The good thing about my camp is when I learn something, I go, "How can I throw it to be weird," and my coaches find out a way for me to throw that punch differently because to me, everyone gets taught the same punches, jab, cross, straight, hook, uppercut. Everybody gets taught the same way and the same thing. It's just how you apply it. I try to apply it differently than I've seen so that's what kind of created my style.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/1/2/26...-with-strikeforce-light-heavyweight-contender

I wonder what moves if any he actually kept from wing chun? I have never done chinese martial arts but a lot of people tell me its kung foolishness.

That's a good question. I don't know enough about Wing Chun and Bruce Lee to comment. What I can say though as far as his fighting moves in his films are concerned, he started fighting like an MMA fighter in his later film in Game of Death.

The guy was a genius. Unfortunately, a lot of his fans see him as a "Kung Fu" master and really dont understand his forward thinking. He was actually a Mixed Martial Artist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back