Any fellow dancers in Mayberry?

Every time I am about to do something boarderline gay, like dancing, I just ask myself, "would Ernest Hemingway do this?" The answer is always no.

iw5cJqWW2lAXN.gif

This is the gayist thing I've ever read on Sherdog. And that includes the time Joe Mama admitted to sucking dick.

Pretty weird attitude.

Music doesn't make you feel anything, I take it?

The 90s house scene changed that for me completely. Funky house music with the addition of sensible quantities of MDMA I went from standing on the sidelines to getting down big style. It's stayed with me. There's few feelings like it in this world when you're at one with the music - be that making an unintentional dick of yourself and not caring or genuinely good dancing.

Similar sort of experience to me. I would have never considered myself a dancer until I got into serious clubbing.

120mg of MDMA, deep house and a massive warehouse was where I found that I could dance and what great fun it was. Not some stupid twerking or popping. Not standing around in a circle but facing the speakers and dancing only for yourself. Completely losing yourself in the syncapation and rthym of the beats, and dancing purely for the joy of it. Knowing; without knowing the song, the beat(s) that were coming and moving yourself in time with it. There is a reason they call some dance music Trance, because you can get to that Zen like plane.

Thankfully it is now something that I can do without drugs, although a couple of beers to lower the inhibitions always helps. And chicks do dig guys who can dance.

Pro tip- it is mostly in the footwork. Anyone can bob and weave from the waist, the trick is to know where to go and how with the feet. And like a lot of things, confidence helps.

Last edited:
See what happens when one man who doesn't care takes to the floor. Oh running man - what happened to you my old friend?

[YT]J5pAtQq4Vms[/YT]

[YT]watch?v=csK31cfwyqk[/YT]

This guys footwork is much too complicated for normal dancing to the beat of club-tunes in confined areas, but you could take parts of what he does and blend it into simple moves that get your feet moving. After about 3 minutes he loses his style , but up till then it is solid.

You don't need to be Michael Jackson, but if you can incorporate a simple movement of your feet into your dancing, the whole game opens up. Once your feet are moving, everything you do above the waist looks 5 x as effective. It only needs to be very subtle movement to be effective.

Over the last year I have gotten back into shape after being about 20kg's over my ideal weight. That said, when I went to the dance floor overweight I enjoyed it, because you would get those snooty looks from girls and guys who would look down their noses at you for being a bit heavy. They look at you like are a fat spaz who is going to do the "Elaine". 5 minutes later the girls are grinning at you and the "fit" guy they were dancing with looks like a retard on a pogo pole who is trying to date rape them.

Fuck em. Dance like nobody is watching.

Last edited:
I'm basque. we're designed for manly shit like rowing, wood chopping, stone lifting, mountain climbing, etc. we're genetically unable to dance.

When i was single, i used to frequent salsa/bachata/merengue clubs. Those places are a hot chick gold mine. I take my wife dancing a couple times a month.
Since I'm young and looking for action, I've decided to do Salsa over Tango. How long have you been dancing Salsa? Do you dance any other styles besides the ones listed?

I used to think dancing was stupid until I had a child. We didn't teach her but when she first heard music, she danced. Its instinctive. Its natural.

I can't dance for shit, but I love watching people who can actually do it. I love me some Jabawockeez.

[YT]R3IQ7AXbZi4[/YT]

Glad to see this thread still going!

Just wanted to say, the classic "heel toe" foot work is super easy, looks good, and you can learn it fast. Foot work is basically imperative for just being able to casually dance because the upper body stuff really requires you to try hard and do it perfect.

The heel toe foot work is basically just always keeping your feet in the shape of a "V". You start with your toes pointed out and your heels touching, so looking down at your feet, they make the shape of the V. Next, you pivot one foot on the heel, with the other simultaneously pivoting on the toe. So when the pivot is over, you still make a V shape, but now your toes are touching and your heels are pointing out.

It will seem awkward at first and won't seem like it looks good, but that's every dance move when you first start. Once you get it down and pivot to the beat, it will look good, especially when you can do it at lightning speeds.

My go to footwork is starting with the heel toe pivots, then switch to the spongebob, then to the shuffle. Those are all super easy, but when you can do it super fast and mix in yoru upper body, it looks awesome.

Obviously dancing with a partner is different. There is far less emphasis on foot work as you really just need to move in a sexy way and get close to your partner. Your upper body really works over time at that point. I always just "pop" and "lock" like a mad man when dancing with a partner.

Also, if you can bob your head to the beat it will instantly make any dance move look 100% better if you mix the head bobbing in with it.

Here's the "Spongebob" or "Happy Feet"

Here's a good Shuffle tutorial

Another thing, if you can just "pop" you can make any movement look good. Basically you just move your body in a controlled manner, and every time the beat hits, you stop moving for a split second and flex all of your muscles, which should make your body look mechanical and shake in a "not quite human" way. Once you can pop well and have some basic footwork you can mix them together and look like a really good dancer. I like to hold my upper body perfectly still, then heel toe pivot to the side, then have that movement travel up from my feet, through my legs, and pop all the way up through my torso to my head, then repeat itself.

Last edited:
Is Tango a good dance for parties or clubs? It seems (for the most part) so serious, formal but very passionate; where Salsa is the opposite. I like both and in some ways, and might blend the two in my style.

Since I'm young and looking for action, I've decided to do Salsa over Tango.

Tango isn't a very good dance for parties or clubs; it's generally danced to the melody rather than the beat and the girl really needs to know what she is doing. Salsa seems a better choice for your aims.

Enough reason for anyone to take it up.

Back