Any benefit from cycling as opposed to running?

This is actually the other way around. There is no good evidence cushion-sole shoes are better for your myoskeletal health, assuming you have proper running form.

There are a few studies that show cushioned shoes do not reduce the risk of injury, even when fitted according to the subjects foot alignment (overpronated/neutral/underpronated feet). There is also a good deal of research on barefoot running, and it seems to show that it is indeed a viable alternative.

The gist of all the research is pretty common sensical: you should run with good form and follow proper programming rules (basically don't do too much too soon) regardless of footwear, and shoes (cushioned or minimal) are not going to magically protect you from bad running mechanics (cushioned shoes may potentially "mask" bad mechanics that can eventually lead to overtraining injuries). Assuming you have decent form and follow proper programming guidelines, then you should just go with whatever footwear you feel more comfortable with. On top of the above, my opinion is that spending some time working on your barefoot running might help improving your gait (but if you do, make sure to start very light).

Edit, drunk last night. I wasn't aware of the direction of the evidence. My new shoes seem to be working great for me, but if I start getting injuries I will start working on not heel-striking.

Last edited:
Back