Any benefit from cycling as opposed to running?

s4keithv6

White Belt
Reaction score
I had ACL surgery about 2 years ago, and I find that every time I run my knee ends up aching and I get bad shin splints. When I took up long distance cycling I found that it was much easier on all my joints. Can I get better cardio from biking?

I had ACL surgery about 2 years ago, and I find that every time I run my knee ends up aching and I get bad shin splints. When I took up long distance cycling I found that it was much easier on all my joints. Can I get better cardio from biking?

Sure why not as you say its low impact, I was in the same boat a while ago I know from experience.

It depends on how you define "better". If you can't Run without significant pain and, more seriously, a risk of injury, then Biking is definately better for you.

Much easier on the knees, but harder on the taint.

Most competition cyclists are considered paragons of cardio.

Sure you can. Get yourself a heart rate monitor. Find your minimal/maximal heart rates, then work out your training zone and put in the time. Don't forget to work in intervals if you want to increase your cardio capacity even further.

Cycling is an excellent form of cardio, as is swimming, jumping rope, light shadow boxing, incline walking, ballroom dancing... the list goes on.

Anything where you are keeping your heart-rate in the desired zone for the desired period of time will work fine.

Much easier on the knees, but harder on the taint.

If you're using an exercise bike, instead of biking outside, you can stand uo on the pedals. No stress on the taint, and muscle endurance is less of a limiting factor.

I would still try to incorporate a quick pace walk into your routine. Cycling just wasn't enough for me.

much lower impact on the knees.

i would say however that if you want to cycle, use an actual bicycle and not a stationary. youll notice the bicycle is a much better work out.

also, im a firm believer in swimming over both of them, if that is an option for you.

Most competition cyclists are considered paragons of cardio.

they are in incredile shape in terms of endurance.

seen some damn impressive lifts from cyclist also.

As has been said multiple times, cycling is a fine and oft-used method of conditioning. There are other low-impact options as well, that you might want to look into. What are you goals? Anything specific, or just "better cardio"?

I come from a cycling background & I get loads of positive feedback from my training partners about my strength & endurance. My jiu jitsu still sucks, but I can train for daaaaaaays. So, yay! cycling.

Yeah--cycling will get you to your destination a lot faster than running will.

It's the EPO

My original wording was "PED allegations aside..."

It's too bad they've stained their sport with all the PED use. However, the fact remains that serious cyclists are cardio machines.

Bike shorts and generous amount of Chamois Butt'r take care of taint.

If you choose to cycle over running be sure to incorporate some weight lifting into your overall fitness program

The lack of skeletal stress in cycling can lead to lower bone density in people who don't supplement with some running or lifting.

I don't run at all, because I like cycling better. My knees get burnt out ridiculously fast if I run as often as I cycle. I usually do a 2-3 hour trail ride on Sundays with intervals during the week. I have a bike on a trainer as well as my trail bike so that helps.

I have a few questions for the TS.

How often have you tried running?

How long did you run for and how hard were you running?

I only ask because running is pretty stressful on your body at first and most people overdo it by trying to run too far and too fast. Start with an easy pace a couple of times a week for 10-15 minutes. Don't worry about how far you go, just run for the amount of time you set out for and increase the duration gradually, no more than 10% a week.

If you follow those two guidelines you shouldn't hurt too much and be running pretty far in a couple of months.If you still get shin splints try landing more on the mid-foot to ball of your foot and run on grass instead of asphalt or concrete. Although if your knee still hurts with a gradual buildup maybe running isn't for you but remember that your musculature will adapt much more quickly than connective tissues so give it some time.

If your running form is good (ie you don't heel strike too bad) real shin splints (your bone feels like it's going to shatter with every step type, not the muscle in the front of your lower leg is sore for a week type people commonly mistake for shin splints) take a while to develop unless you do too much too soon.

Running is really good for building stronger tendons and ligaments so it's worth a shot to tough it out, just don't rush it.

Back