"Antiglycolytic" training

Is getting a cough normal when you start running or have I happened into a respiratory illness?

If you're otherwise feeling OK, it's probably just getting used to running. When I do a hard run after not running regularly, I have a little cough for the next day because my throat is irritated from sucking wind.

Garmin reckons mine is 47 and that puts me in the top 25% of that age category.

Google says 60+ for good athlete and 70+ for elite.

VO2 max values in an average adult are around 30-45 millilitres of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute. But in elite endurance athletes, VO2 max increases to 65-80 ml/kg/min.

Garmin put you on the low end of male untrained athlete.

I think it's good to track RHR and VO2 max over time to monitor individual progress, but it's also important to keep in mind that those are just indicators, not the be all end all of fitness nor a predictor of success in any sport. The highest recorded VO2 max was Oskar Svendsen with 97.5 mL/kg/min:

That dude was a cyclist but looks like he was never competitive above the national level as an adult and doesn't appear to have even made it to the pro ranks. For comparison, Lance Armstrong on horsemeat had a VO2 max of 84. So just like 100m sprint time, 1RM barbell squat or whatever, training those can be helpful in a number of sports but performance in that sport will rely much more on intangibles like sport specific skills, reaction time, etc.

Polar watches didn't have the VO2 max algorithm until around 10 years ago. I just turned 50 and my runs typically register VO2 max between 47 and 49. And my RHR is 50. Eight years ago when I used to run more (focused on distances around 5K) in my early 40's, my RHR was mid 40's and the highest VO2 max I registered on my watch after a run was 58.

But I used to run a lot more in my 20s and 30's and when I was in race shape, my RHR was 39. I have no idea what my implied VO2 max would have been but based on how much better my cardio fitness was back then, I suspect it would have been well into the 60's or possibly even higher. As far as natural aptitude, I've always been relatively lean and responded very well to cardio training. But because I've also always lifted weights and tried to be well-rounded, my VO2 max has probably been lower than it could have been.

:meow:2.3 miles in 28 minutes and added 3 points to my vo2 max. Slowly showing the watch I'm not bitch made

Good work bro! Just like strength training, make sure not to overdo it and don't push yourself to injury but tracking your performance on an HR watch and seeing your metrics improve is a rush and a great tool to stay motivated and consistent.

Good work bro! Just like strength training, make sure not to overdo it and don't push yourself to injury but tracking your performance on an HR watch and seeing your metrics improve is a rush and a great tool to stay motivated and consistent.
Big as I am, no shin splints yet and I did 3 miles on Sunday night, 2.7 yesterday and then 2.3 this morning.

Garmin registers the Airdyne as an elliptical also, I gotta learn how to program it

I absolutely need to buy a treadmill. Did a couple reps of 1 min at 6mph and my heart rate shot to 168. The hamster wheel is the only way I'll be able to hold myself accountable as far as speed goes.

I absolutely need to buy a treadmill. Did a couple reps of 1 min at 6mph and my heart rate shot to 168. The hamster wheel is the only way I'll be able to hold myself accountable as far as speed goes.

Dude, trying to sprint when you're a big boy is a recipe to get injured. Just stick to jogwalking at a reasonable pace (with emphasis on walking if you need to) and the weight will come off and your times will improve. More gadgets isn't the answer. Consistent training without overdoing it is. You just got an HR watch that will monitor your speed and exertion better than a treadmill. You can set the watch to display mph updated every second, HR, and quarter mile splits in real time during your run. So every time you look at the watch while running, you can be like OK I'm running 5.5 mph now, just ran my last quarter mile in 2:43 min with 140 HR and am on pace to break my 2-mile record. Or shit, I'm only running 4 mph now and need to pick up the pace. It's pretty great and you can push yourself as hard as you need or want to. Once you get used to running outside with a HR watch, treadmill running pretty much sucks.

Dude, trying to sprint when you're a big boy is a recipe to get injured. Just stick to jogwalking at a reasonable pace (with emphasis on walking if you need to) and the weight will come off and your times will improve. More gadgets isn't the answer. Consistent training without overdoing it is. You just got an HR watch that will monitor your speed and exertion better than a treadmill. You can set the watch to display mph updated every second, HR, and quarter mile splits in real time during your run. So every time you look at the watch while running, you can be like OK I'm running 5.5 mph now, just ran my last quarter mile in 2:43 min with 140 HR and am on pace to break my 2-mile record. Or shit, I'm only running 4 mph now and need to pick up the pace. It's pretty great and you can push yourself as hard as you need or want to. Once you get used to running outside with a HR watch, treadmill running pretty much sucks.
You're right. I gotta learn how to program this thing.

Has anyone ever heard of this training? Pavel Tsatsouline released a book a little while back about it and it's about building aerobic capacity through zone 2 training. Basically it's insanely low intensity for 20-30 mins so as to not "burn sugar" during your workout and instead burn fat. Seems far fetched to me but I admittedly am not a scholar on the matter. An example would be 6 kettlebell swings a minute for 20 mins with half your bodyweight. You're never supposed to get out of breath or have a heart rate elevated above a certain threshold.
Heard of it multiple times with slightly different justifications for many years. Some of the reasons I heard for this approach:
1. So you don't lose your gains
2. So you burn fat instead of sugars like you mentioned
3. So you don't burn yourself out because you're already doing intense lifting
4. It's kinder on your joints

I've been doing this approach for about 3 years now. Initially because of reason 4, but I think it helps in some of the other areas too.

Push ups also fucking up the reading. Time for a chest strap I guess.

Chest straps were the standard for many years and for most forms of cardio like running, biking, swimming, they work fine and don't get in the way. But for lifting in the gym including bodyweight exercises, arm band is the way to go. You wear that either right below your elbow or right above it and it stays on great and keeps a reading unless someone is grabbing your arm (like in grappling).

For hardcore cardio athletes, chest strap is the only way to go because its the most accurate. It's right next to your heart and measures HR at the source. Arm band is the next most accurate and is +/- 1 or 2 bpm. Watch sensor on your wrist is +/- 5 or more but varies by individual. But for most people that's close enough because the error is consistent so it will accurately show changes from baseline.

For me, arm band sensor is the best trade-off and I use that for both cardio and gym sessions.

Chest straps were the standard for many years and for most forms of cardio like running, biking, swimming, they work fine and don't get in the way. But for lifting in the gym including bodyweight exercises, arm band is the way to go. You wear that either right below your elbow or right above it and it stays on great and keeps a reading unless someone is grabbing your arm (like in grappling).

For hardcore cardio athletes, chest strap is the only way to go because its the most accurate. It's right next to your heart and measures HR at the source. Arm band is the next most accurate and is +/- 1 or 2 bpm. Watch sensor on your wrist is +/- 5 or more but varies by individual. But for most people that's close enough because the error is consistent so it will accurately show changes from baseline.

For me, arm band sensor is the best trade-off and I use that for both cardio and gym sessions.
Then why the fuck did I buy the garmin <HisEye>

Then why the fuck did I buy the garmin <HisEye>

Chest strap or arm band works with the Garmin. It’s just an alternate sensor to collect the data, but you need a watch to do anything with that data. The watch is what calculates VO2 max and all the metrics.

Until around 10 years ago, Garmin and Polar did not have a sensor on the back of the watch. You had to wear the watch AND a separate chest strap or arm band sensor during workouts. And those two brands were what competitive runners and triathletes used.

Then fitbit came around and marketed to casuals for step tracking and they also had a sensor directly on the watch so you didn’t need a chest strap to track HR.

But that was less accurate and Garmin and Polar took a few years to give in and do the same - because they were targeted for hardcore runners who demanded better accuracy.

You will generally see pro athletes training with a chest strap because +/- 2 bpm moves the needle for their conditioning. But for 99% of users, wrist sensor is good enough unless the watch is getting in the way.

Chest strap or arm band works with the Garmin. It’s just an alternate sensor to collect the data, but you need a watch to do anything with that data. The watch is what calculates VO2 max and all the metrics.

Until around 10 years ago, Garmin and Polar did not have a sensor on the back of the watch. You had to wear the watch AND a separate chest strap or arm band sensor during workouts. And those two brands were what competitive runners and triathletes used.

Then fitbit came around and marketed to casuals for step tracking and they also had a sensor directly on the watch so you didn’t need a chest strap to track HR.

But that was less accurate and Garmin and Polar took a few years to give in and do the same - because they were targeted for hardcore runners who demanded better accuracy.

You will generally see pro athletes training with a chest strap because +/- 2 bpm moves the needle for their conditioning. But for 99% of users, wrist sensor is good enough unless the watch is getting in the way.
I don't see an arm band from Garmin. What's a good one?

You can manually enter them in after if you really want to use it to track strength training reps within a session. Or do you mean Heart rate? There isn't any real reason to track your heart rate for strength training or Strength endurance.

I found initially it was average at tracking strength reps and then it became more accurate as it worked out my movements.

I never bothered to use it for anything but running/hiking based activities. I take mine off when I am lifting and sit it near my water bottle to manage my rest periods.

You can manually enter them in after if you really want to use it to track strength training reps within a session. Or do you mean Heart rate? There isn't any real reason to track your heart rate for strength training or Strength endurance.

I found initially it was average at tracking strength reps and then it became more accurate as it worked out my movements.

I never bothered to use it for anything but running/hiking based activities. I take mine off when I am lifting and sit it near my water bottle to manage my rest periods.
Was doing a WOD and wanted to track my heart rate. Also my vo2 max magically went down, went for a 6 mile hike and didn't enter the activity so they must have thought I was labored walking lol

Was doing a WOD and wanted to track my heart rate. Also my vo2 max magically went down, went for a 6 mile hike and didn't enter the activity so they must have thought I was labored walking lol
I prefer to use it for steady state work to remain in HR zones. It's good if you just want to track calorie expenditure, but unless you strap it real tight, it's going to move in intense workouts like Crossfit WODs.

Give it 3 months and I reckon that V)2 Max and resting HR will settle down for you, but don't get too carried away tracking all that.

I prefer to use it for steady state work to remain in HR zones. It's good if you just want to track calorie expenditure, but unless you strap it real tight, it's going to move in intense workouts like Crossfit WODs.

Give it 3 months and I reckon that V)2 Max and resting HR will settle down for you, but don't get too carried away tracking all that.
I have demonstrably better cardio since I started with the jogging. I was able to do 100 straight kettlebell swings with 70lbs and also 60 unbroken abmat sit ups and I definitely couldn't before, at least not the swings. I don't wear the watch to sleep, wonder if that's messing with my ratings.

Last edited:
Back