Anthony Pettis is 9-8 in the UFC

i'm not looking for drama, you're the one who keeps trying to sling personal insults without refuting my arguments. if you have something to say that is logical i'll listen, but if you're just gonna sit here with this "holier than thou" attitude talking down to me like i'm some moron and you're the most intelligent person in the room then you can fuck right off.

Bro, we could find examples of Pettis' situation and unjustified fights/title shots all throughout the history of the UFC. I'm not sure what you want refuted.

Get a beer, smoke something. Stop whining.

How about your boy Nate Diaz who has lost almost half of his fights. Of course he thinks he is undefeated himself. He has very good bjj, but his footwork is bad and 70% of his "boxing" are slaps. And his strategy for a so called bad mf is to push people up to the cage. How the HELL does people think he is an elite boxer? He is long and has range and a granite chin to tire people out with punching him in the face. And this is the biggest drag in the ufc? I like watching him, but honestly that is one overrated dude.

Pettis has real sharp skills, but he quits in fights. He is the opposite of Diaz brothers.

Prove me wrong!

Good example of how inactivity really feeds the alleged abilities. Pettis was supposed to be this unbeatable GOAT striker due to a head kick KO and 18 months out.

The test is fighting 3 or more times a year and winning. Not once a year or every 18 months. Why I hope we see Khabib much more active.

He also hasn't won more than one fight in a row since he went on his five fight title run. He's 1-1 at both FW and WW. I am not making this thread to shit on Pettis because he is clearly a good fighter and quite an entertaining one too. But I am wondering what he has left in this sport as an athlete. He doesn't seem to be anywhere near a title shot in any of the three weight classes he's fought in and he's not getting any younger(turns 33 in January).

Where should he go from here both short term in the sense of his next fight and long term in the sense of realistic goals for the future? Looks like he has a tough time finding an easy fight, dude is always fighting the best but he's stuck winning one then losing one. I wouldn't say he should hang his gloves up just yet but maybe he should stick to looking for money fights for now. Guida is coming off a loss, maybe he'd like to get that one back.
A few more losses and he can challenge for the BMF belt!

He has faced very tough comp for sure. But he does have flaws, he is too easy to push around for grapplers and his hands are not great either, he has very very very good kicks, but his hands are just ok I think.

he was 1-3 going into his FW title fight. his 1 win was vs Charles Oliveira. tell me how his ranking deserved that? when he fought Tony Ferguson he was 3-5 and had already lost to Dustin Poirer in the same weight class. he fought Wonderboy who was ranked like #1 and he wasn't even ranked at WW.

how do you have an original ranking if you were never ranked in the first place? why do you keep fighting high level ranked opponents when you are constantly losing?

Because any of his 9 wins weights more than a good streak over low ranked competition. He has credit, is deserved.
Also because he is competitive even in the loss against the very best. Its important not just the W/L.
Also, because he is exciting instead of conservative, obiously an asset in any entertaining business

He's always been horribly overrated and deluded. He likes to make excuses for his every loss by saying to himself "he wasn't really there" when the truth is obvious: he has a wrestling deficit which renders him vulnerable to pressure fighters. Rather than to make that his #1 priority he weaves a narrative about how he needs to "get it back", as if there was some undefeated Pettis that once was and never did lose lurking beneath the flawed fighter that keeps showing up.

Damn that was so perfectly said.

I'd like to see hi get one more fight in the UFC so he can get to .500.

He also hasn't won more than one fight in a row since he went on his five fight title run. He's 1-1 at both FW and WW. I am not making this thread to shit on Pettis because he is clearly a good fighter and quite an entertaining one too. But I am wondering what he has left in this sport as an athlete. He doesn't seem to be anywhere near a title shot in any of the three weight classes he's fought in and he's not getting any younger(turns 33 in January).

Where should he go from here both short term in the sense of his next fight and long term in the sense of realistic goals for the future? Looks like he has a tough time finding an easy fight, dude is always fighting the best but he's stuck winning one then losing one. I wouldn't say he should hang his gloves up just yet but maybe he should stick to looking for money fights for now. Guida is coming off a loss, maybe he'd like to get that one back.
He is now 9W-9L
.500 record

Time to join Sergio in bellator Anthony

Khabib Bless

The problem with a Guida rematch is that while it is a winnable fight for Anthony and it would be nice to avenge that loss - stylistically it's a fight he could lose, even at this stage, and that would be disastrous.

Right now Anthony has a reputation as a guy who has a pretty insane schedule, and even though the general opinion is that he does fold sometimes, he's folding against the best of the best. Folding against Guida would end his career.

I'd like to see a Cowboy rematch, who is also on the downside of his top level career, but not so far gone that a win by either party is meaningless.

The problem with a Guida rematch is that while it is a winnable fight for Anthony and it would be nice to avenge that loss - stylistically it's a fight he could lose, even at this stage, and that would be disastrous.

Right now Anthony has a reputation as a guy who has a pretty insane schedule, and even though the general opinion is that he does fold sometimes, he's folding against the best of the best. Folding against Guida would end his career.

I'd like to see a Cowboy rematch, who is also on the downside of his top level career, but not so far gone that a win by either party is meaningless.
No. If he wants to still fight in the UFC then he has to fight UNRANKED fighters. Pettis doesn't deserve his ranking. Can't keep fighting ranked fighters, losing and keep his fake image up by having a tough schedule.

The guy doesn't have the right to keep fighting these guys. It's unranked fighters for him now to loss too and too keep dropping lower and lower to finally drop out the top 15

Khabib Bless

No. If he wants to still fight in the UFC then he has to fight UNRANKED fighters. Pettis doesn't deserve his ranking. Can't keep fighting ranked fighters, losing and keep his fake image up by having a tough schedule.

The guy doesn't have the right to keep fighting these guys. It's unranked fighters for him now to loss too and too keep dropping lower and lower to finally drop out the top 15

Khabib Bless

Cowboy, in all fairness, after dropping fights to Tony, Gaethje, and Conor, should probably be ranked just outside of the top ten.

Who do you want him to fight, specifically? I said Cowboy because the two guys are pretty much at the same point in their careers right now, have already fought, and are both from the WEC days.

Cowboy, in all fairness, after dropping fights to Tony, Gaethje, and Conor, should probably be ranked just outside of the top ten.

Who do you want him to fight, specifically? I said Cowboy because the two guys are pretty much at the same point in their careers right now, have already fought, and are both from the WEC days.
Both of them should fight Islam Makhachev or Drew Dober. Time to get these old dudes out of the rankings. Fresh blood is needed.

Khabib Bless

Both of them should fight Islam Makhachev or Drew Dober. Time to get these old dudes out of the rankings. Fresh blood is needed.

Khabib Bless

I think those are nice match ups. I'd match Islam with Cowboy, and Pettis with Dober. I'd favor Islam over Cowboy, but it's no gimme. I'd probably pick Pettis over Dober, just because I don't think Dober has the pressure to trouble Anthony while defending his submission attacks.

Khabib Bless

Pettis would fuck Drew Dober up, imo.

He's a legend just for the showtime kick alone though

It's not always about winning and losing. It's what you do in there

Just for some reference, here are the records of a few other guys against the people Pettis has fought in the UFC.

Rafael Dos Anjos - 3-5
Eddie Alvarez - 2-2
Conor McGregor - 5-1
Donald Cerrone - 5-6

Back