Anthony Pettis is 9-8 in the UFC

He's like Diaz, because he's exciting he gets gifted these crazy opportunities. Its a win-win for the UFC; if he wins they can get back to promoting him as a top fighter and if he loses he most likely put up a good fight and made the other guy look good.

i just think it's strange that people give him credit for challenging these guys like he didn't need to, when in reality he needed those fights in order to keep him relevant. the dude went 1-3 and got a title shot vs Max but then couldn't even make weight for his own gifted title shot. and that's just 1 example.

Because the fights aren't made off the fact that he's 9-8. If he's going 1 and 1, he's still going to sit close to his original ranking and still be given guys in the vicinity.

he was 1-3 going into his FW title fight. his 1 win was vs Charles Oliveira. tell me how his ranking deserved that? when he fought Tony Ferguson he was 3-5 and had already lost to Dustin Poirer in the same weight class. he fought Wonderboy who was ranked like #1 and he wasn't even ranked at WW.

how do you have an original ranking if you were never ranked in the first place? why do you keep fighting high level ranked opponents when you are constantly losing?

He went from tapping the 2 best lightweights in the world in the first round to a 3 fight skid.

MMA is wild I tell ya.

i just think it's strange that people give him credit for challenging these guys like he didn't need to, when in reality he needed those fights in order to keep him relevant. the dude went 1-3 and got a title shot vs Max but then couldn't even make weight for his own gifted title shot. and that's just 1 example.
Yeah that's true. That Showtime kick really made him an overnight star and I think its helped him get these kinds of opportunities. He has done other cool shit too of course but that's the quintessential Showtime moment. Its like when Korean Zombie said that him getting the only twister in the UFC helped his career a lot as it made him very memorable.
he was 1-3 going into his FW title fight. his 1 win was vs Charles Oliveira. tell me how his ranking deserved that? when he fought Tony Ferguson he was 3-5 and had already lost to Dustin Poirer in the same weight class. he fought Wonderboy who was ranked like #1 and he wasn't even ranked at WW.

how do you have an original ranking if you were never ranked in the first place? why do you keep fighting high level ranked opponents when you are constantly losing?
And notice how none of these ranked guys he's fought are wrestler types. The UFC just wants to give its contenders respectable opponents that make for a good fight and guys like Pettis and Diaz are always great options.

He went from tapping the 2 best lightweights in the world in the first round to a 3 fight skid.

MMA is wild I tell ya.
He tapped Giblert in the 2nd round but nonetheless point taken.

I watched Pettis did alot things right early in his career and became a established marquee fighter for the UFC.

1. Became champ in WEC, Showtime Kick.

2. Became a Company Man for UFC, takes on fights even if its risky. When UFC bought out WEC, IIRC the UFC Champ was injured, so he opted to fight Clay Guida and got smothered to decision and had to work his way up to UFC titleshot while showcasing his fancy kicks.

3. Gets rewarded with titleshot against the guy he won WEC Belt off; Ben Henderson.. proceeds to become UFC Champ.

He's always fought top competition in the UFC and is basically 50-50. This makes fights exciting for the fans, we dont know who will win. Its not a foregone conclusion like a Jon Jones fight. Did anybody expect Pettis to KO Till? He is a solid marquee fighter.

Hell, UFC utilized him to pump up Nate Diaz's comeback & it led to the BMF shengians.

Pettis has alot to offer the UFC. Im sure they pay him well.
*Wonderboy

Because he's a WEC and UFC LW champion, and if you've been paying attention over the last 20 years you'll know that previous champs are afforded all kinds of luxuries, particularly when switching divisions. Fuck, look at Edgar.

The other factor is that you've been duped into believing these divisions are deeper than they actually are. Who cares why, the rankings in the UFC have always been a joke.

What you should be concerned about is giving praise to a guy who only seeks out the best.

Better LW record than Conor.

just because it's been going on for 20 years or that other people get the same treatment doesn't make it any less stupid.

praising a guy because he "wants to fight the best" is dumb, every single fighter wants to fight the best. get any fighter and ask them if they'd take a title shot vs Max on a 1 fight win streak. they'll all take it. ask any fighter to fight Tony Ferguson, or Wonderboy and they'll all gladly accept these fights.

Pettis has basically nothing to lose in any of these past fights and everything to gain, yet he's supposed to get praise? praise for what? risking nothing and the chance of gaining everything?

if anything we should be praising Max, Tony, and Wonderboy for taking those fights against a dangerous opponent who does nothing for them.

Hes becoming Michael Johnson

Which is also a good matchup

He is usually in fun fights, tends to kill or be killed, and always has the potential to deliver a highlight reel finish.

But there is a path/gameplan to victory over him- pressure, volume and wrestling until he wilts.

I don’t really see the issue. There is a loser in every fight and I don’t require a fighter to be undefeated to enjoy watching him fight.

I’ll watch Pettis fight happily as long as he still has a decent chance to win, which he still has, and he isn’t taking unnecessary punishment, which he isnt. I don’t recall him ever being knocked out, his chin seems fine and his defense is still technically sound.

Let him bang bro.

just because it's been going on for 20 years or that other people get the same treatment doesn't make it any less stupid.

praising a guy because he "wants to fight the best" is dumb, every single fighter wants to fight the best. get any fighter and ask them if they'd take a title shot vs Max on a 1 fight win streak. they'll all take it. ask any fighter to fight Tony Ferguson, or Wonderboy and they'll all gladly accept these fights.

Pettis has basically nothing to lose in any of these past fights and everything to gain, yet he's supposed to get praise? praise for what? risking nothing and the chance of gaining everything?

if anything we should be praising Max, Tony, and Wonderboy for taking those fights against a dangerous opponent who does nothing for them.
Idk about the volunteers for fighting Tony
Aint gonna leave the same

He needs to get more haircuts per week and then he'll be champ. Even get one while fighting.

You sound way too worked up over something so meaningless. Take a breather mate and simply enjoy two guys throwing down.

33 isn't that old in this sport.i don't think his age is the problem. He just seems to be at that point in his career where he doesn't care about being the best fighter anymore, but instead just wants to put on fun fights and make money. All the power to him, I guess.

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Because he's a WEC and UFC LW champion, and if you've been paying attention over the last 20 years you'll know that previous champs are afforded all kinds of luxuries, particularly when switching divisions. Fuck, look at Edgar.

The other factor is that you've been duped into believing these divisions are deeper than they actually are. Who cares why, the rankings in the UFC have always been a joke.

What you should be concerned about is giving praise to a guy who only seeks out the best.

just because it's been going on 20 years and that other people have had this done for them doesn't make it any less stupid.

i'm not duped into anything, Frankie Edgar had a more reason to fight Max than Anthony Pettis. Pettis HAD ONE FIGHT, at FW vs a journeyman and that gets him a title shot? Max Holloway had to literally clear the division before he got Aldo and then he had to beat Aldo twice.

giving this guy praise for "fighting the best" but not realizing he never deserved to fight the best. i don't care if he was a former LW champion, so is Dos Anjos and he didn't get any boost when he went up to WW, he had to beat Saffiedine and Magny before fighting Lawler.

now Nate Diaz is a ranked WW because he beat Pettis who got gifted his shot at the #1 guy. that's how stupid it is. you say rankings don't mean anything, but that's only because nobody wants them to mean anything right now, but as soon as someone does they will mean everything. Nate will definitely use his ranking as a bargaining chip and treat his ranking as if it is a true mark of his skill, and in reality you cannot deny him it even though we all know he isn't.

You sound way too worked up over something so meaningless. Take a breather mate and simply enjoy two guys throwing down.

i'm not worked up, it's just not true. how can nobody see that he had nothing to lose and everything to gain? how do you get praise for that? you deserve praise when you're RISKING something. not when you take the opportunities to take advantage of people who are risking something. that's just called being opportunistic.

i'm not worked up, it's just not true. how can nobody see that he had nothing to lose and everything to gain? how do you get praise for that? you deserve praise when you're RISKING something. not when you take the opportunities to take advantage of people who are risking something. that's just called being opportunistic.

LOL @ trying to rationalize morality of matchmaking in cage fighting. Bro just stop, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Pettis is a legend of the sport and has made a nice career for himself. Not everything fits into your neat and tidy package of who should be fighting who. There are shit tons of variables involved, compounded further by the fact that the divisions are wafer thin and aren't loaded with clear contenders all the time.

I repeat, take a breather and just enjoy the fights - you sound like a haggard old lady looking for drama.

LOL @ trying to rationalize morality of matchmaking in cage fighting. Bro just stop, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Pettis is a legend of the sport and has made a nice career for himself. Not everything fits into your neat and tidy package of who should be fighting who. There are shit tons of variables involved, compounded further by the fact that the divisions are wafer thin and aren't loaded with clear contenders all the time.

I repeat, take a breather and just enjoy the fights - you sound like a haggard old lady looking for drama.

i'm not looking for drama, you're the one who keeps trying to sling personal insults without refuting my arguments. if you have something to say that is logical i'll listen, but if you're just gonna sit here with this "holier than thou" attitude talking down to me like i'm some moron and you're the most intelligent person in the room then you can fuck right off.

I still don’t get why he gets so much love from the UFC. Yea he was a former champion but that was a long time ago and yet he’s still in commercials.

you show some respect.
This man was on the front of a box of wheaties.

81bOnTbGn6L._SX425_.jpg

Back