• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anthony Pettis: #2 striker in UFC?

I thought it was obvious when i said he's overrated.

It's just been spelled out for you in two sentences - You think Pettis is the #2 Striker in the entire UFC? You're nuts.

How does Pettis being layed on by Guida refute what I said in this thread?

This is a tough call, he's definitely up there but I would argue that there are more than the obvious. For example, guys like GSP aren't knockout artists but uses his strikes incredibly well to set up other things. Hunt might not be technically crisp but his power is absurd. Overeem has better striking credentials than Anderson, Ado and Pettis combined, granted the Bigfoot fight makes people think he's a washed up nobody now but that is the reality of it.

For me:
(in the UFC only)

01.) Alistair Overeem
02.) Anderson Silva
03.) Jose Aldo
04.) Junior Dos Santos
05.) Anthony Pettis
06.) Jon Jones
07.) Renan Barao
08.) Georges St-Pierre
09.) Mark Hunt
10.) Vitor Belfort

no alves or barboza?

no alves or barboza?

Barboza is up there in terms of most technical strikers IMO, if he tightens up his boxing defense a bit though, but it looks like he's improving on it.

I never rewatched the fight so my memory is foggy but nonetheless Barao's striking is crisp IMO. Overeem was KTFO multiple times yet people list him. Barao is legit

How many knockouts really happen at BW ? Comparing BWs with HWs/LHWs because of knockouts is lame.

Barao did take some shots from Pickett and also clinched for his life when Mccdonald tagged him.

Pettis and Overeem are better strikers than Barao. Yea Overeem got ko'd by bigfoot, but we all saw how cocky he was on the octagon..i loved the knockout and jumped out of my seat, but i still think Overeem is a better striker than Bigfoot... in the end there is only one guy can lower his hands and be safe, the GOAT.

Again, huge Barao fan here, guy is a monster because of the overall package, great takedowns and slick jiu jitsu to go along with good striking. He is also VERY BIG for the BW division. People say Aldo is a big FW, but fuck, Barao is as big as Aldo, just look at any photo with the two together.

I doubt Barao would have a 30-0 run fighting like that at HW or LHW..... He would have gotten Ko'd too, WITH THAT STYLE.

It's a tough one. I would say Aldo edges him slightly.

Man, that is going to be one heck of a fight...

Barboza is up there in terms of most technical strikers IMO, if he tightens up his boxing defense a bit though, but it looks like he's improving on it.

yeah the varner and pearson fights exposed his boxing defense but knowing him his boxing will look darn good next fight

No way. He is more flashy but Aldo is more of a striker. His boxing is technical, his jab is amazing, his head movement is one of the best ever and he kicks just as well as Pettis (leg kicks are even better).

I love Pettis, great great fighter but Aldo is way too much for him. Just a little better in every aspect of the game

I agree that Aldo has better head movement and likely a better jab but his kicks are not better than Pettis'. Aldo has finished someone with kicks under the unified rules once, Pettis has done it a bunch, Aldo's low kicks might be better but his body and head kicks are not as good.

Jose Aldo is going to shock a lot of people on how he handles Pettis.

And for this thread no Pettis isn't my top 5

Anderson
Machida
Aldo
Barao
Jones

winner winner chicken dinner.

How many knockouts really happen at BW ? Comparing BWs with HWs/LHWs because of knockouts is lame.

Barao did take some shots from Pickett and also clinched for his life when Mccdonald tagged him.

Pettis and Overeem are better strikers than Barao. Yea Overeem got ko'd by bigfoot, but we all saw how cocky he was on the octagon..i loved the knockout and jumped out of my seat, but i still think Overeem is a better striker than Bigfoot... in the end there is only one guy can lower his hands and be safe, the GOAT.

Again, huge Barao fan here, guy is a monster because of the overall package, great takedowns and slick jiu jitsu to go along with good striking. He is also VERY BIG for the BW division. People say Aldo is a big FW, but fuck, Barao is as big as Aldo, just look at any photo with the two together.

I doubt Barao would have a 30-0 run fighting like that at HW or LHW..... He would have gotten Ko'd too, WITH THAT STYLE.

To be fair Pickett and Mayday knocks dudes the fuck out at BW. They are as deadly at BW as any KO artist is at any weight division.

My memory is foggy but didn't Barao rock Pickett which lead to the finish? Anyway using power as a mean to discredit Barao isn't just because he fought some KO artists at BW and handles them with ease.

Overeem has horrible defenses and a heart of a mouse. He reacts horribly to being hit and fucked up
multiple times as a result. How anyone can claim he's a better Mma striker than Barao is beyond me. Werdum was catching him and outstriking him when they fought. Overeem dominated Brett Rogers and Brock Lesnar and people claim he's a god? Lol no this isn't K1, this is Mma an he's been exposed so many times it makes no sense how he still has a hype train.

How does Pettis being layed on by Guida refute what I said in this thread?

It means he's overrated. #2 striker in the UFC, you're baked. In no Particular order but all better strikers.

GSP
Condit
Diaz
JDS
Shogun
Aldo
Silva
Jones
Overeem
Barao
Vitor
Alves
Hominick

It means he's overrated. #2 striker in the UFC, you're baked. In no Particular order but all better strikers.

GSP
Condit
Diaz
JDS
Shogun
Aldo
Silva
Jones
Overeem
Barao
Vitor
Alves
Hominick

Don't know how you can even debate the bolded ones.

The Diaz one is in there for humorous intent I assume?

GSP
Condit
Diaz
JDS
Shogun
Aldo
Silva
Jones
Overeem
Barao
Vitor
Alves
Hominick

If you're calling pettis overrated.. then you might actually be the baked one here..

thanks for the lulz - Pettis' best win is Henderson which imo he lost. He's overrated as fuck, couldn't get up from Guida. Aldo will probably kill him.

6fnpg5.gif

iv8xUoDr46pBh.gif

15x9uld.gif

35ckep1.gif

1z5hh0i.gif

2zrnjes.gif

files are a bit big. sorry.

^Definitely one of the best LW fights EVER!
I really don't think Jones is a great striker, but he sure is effective.
Maybe not great, yeah, but he is definitely very disciplined and possesses a complete toolkit on the feet unlike a lot of others, and of course, he uses his range so well.

GSP
Condit
Diaz
JDS
Shogun
Aldo
Silva
Jones
Overeem
Barao
Vitor
Alves
Hominick

Hominick is a good call, nice one!

I really don't think Jones is a great striker, but he sure is effective.

Inside UFC: John Makdessi
Outside UFC: Tyrone Spong

Maybe Pettis needs more time to prove #2 status to me, but I'd put a few champs ahead of him like Cruz, Barao, AS (duh) and Aldo.
Pettis is definitely up there but not quite #2 in my opinion.

Don't know how you can even debate the bolded ones.

The Diaz one is in there for humorous intent I assume?

geez 2010 join date, I'd assume you knew what you were talking about. If you think the fighters I've listed aren't better strikers I don't know what to say. What's wrong with the bolded fighters I've listed.

Diaz has some of the best Boxing in mma, maybe you haven't heard. Hominick's striking is as technical as anyone. Shogun and Vitor, nothing has to be said. Pettis is flashy I'll give him that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back