Anthony Bourdain kills himself

Despite how long he was clean he was still a heroin addict in the past. Most people just don't become heroin addicts.

This just goes to show that addiction and mental health problems don't go away. It's constant battle for those who suffer from it.

If you ever have to take someone to emergency psych (and I hope you don't) the first question they ask is "have they taken any drugs; including: speed, MJ, coke, opioids".

Parts Unknown and No reservations were both solid shows. He seemed like a really interesting guy, may he rest in peace.

Topped himself is a common expression? Where?

Does it mean "repeatedly out-did himself" or "exceeded previous accomplishments"?

Maybe not in the US, but its a very aussie/british term. Another aussie one is called the black dog.

RIP.

Fucking BS right threre.

It goes to show you, you never really know whats up with people. dude seemd cool af and like he had the best job in the wrold. That show was cool.

It just shows that mental illnesses are actual illnesses, they affect people regardless of their initial well-being. Lots of people still belittle depression despite the copious amount of evidence that it is a serious condition that needs medical attention.

True but not everyone that commits suicide is necessarily mentally ill are they? I mean not in the traditional sense where depression became overwhelming and caused it. Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide at 67 but I don't think he had any history of mental illness other than he liked to do a lot of drugs. Robin Williams was ill when he committed suicide, Bobcat Goldthwait claimed he had Lewy Body Dementia. Maybe Bourdain was just diagnosed with terminal cancer or something.

I was never a big fan of the show, but I respect the man for oftentimes giving more than just the regular superficial analysis of a society...he was a profound storyteller that honestly seemed to enjoy participating in the cultural rituals of other people. He was much more than a chef...he was an informal philosopher, anthropologist, historian, etc. Here is my favorite episode, obviously since I'm Cuban, of Bourdain's show.

Previously a heroin addict. Nothing else probably came close.

Pretty bummed because he seemed quasi normal on the other side.

I find it alarming that the majority - not all by any means, of course, but a vast majority - of people I truly and fiercely admired, checked out.

Fuck this sucks..

Was a huge fan.

He lived the life we all wanted.

This will put a damper on the day..

Peace out my man..

True but not everyone that commits suicide is necessarily mentally ill are they? I mean not in the traditional sense where depression became overwhelming and caused it. Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide at 67 but I don't think he had any history of mental illness other than he liked to do a lot of drugs. Robin Williams was ill when he committed suicide, Bobcat Goldthwait claimed he had Lewy Body Dementia. Maybe Bourdain was just diagnosed with terminal cancer or something.

I think doing the volume of drugs Thompson did for the amount of time he did it had to have fucked up his dopamine receptors.

Maybe the tradeoff in life expectancy was worth it for the constant party he lived but I still think he fried his brain with the drug use.

heh. Anthony was not a 'shock' chef seeking out the gross stuff to eat just because. His view simply was that all parts of the animal were food and should not be wasted and if the local's ate it he would want to share with them what they ate.

I greatly admire that and have been on a journey to build my tolerance for just that reason. Not that I want to eat 'yak anus' because as you say matching it with the right microbrew would be challenging, but if i was in Mongolia and had the great honour to be invited by Mongolian locals to a traditional dinner and Yak Anus was on the menu I would like to be able to share it (and the experience) with them.
Yeah, I know and appreciate the head to tail culinary philosophy. If you're going to consume creatures try and utilize every bit of it to minimize waste. I'm not nearly as adventurous as some in that department but I likely consume more parts and in different combinations than the average Americanized palette.

Previously a heroin addict. Nothing else probably came close.

Pretty bummed because he seemed quasi normal on the other side.

Heroin must be pretty fucking great.

Heroin must be pretty fucking great.

I'll tell you this. My buddy is an emerg doctor and he has treated so many heroin users that he his take away is that it's the only drug he would try because it must be that good.

damn sad shit...probably traveling around so much was a depressing thing.

Back